test request, multiple solvers

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

bernd
Veteran

Re: test request, multiple solvers

Post by bernd »

Jee-Bee wrote:
bernd wrote:Development is done for all CalculiX related changes.
https://github.com/berndhahnebach/FreeC ... 88analysis
is Z88 needed i don't have that installed. if not maybe i have some time… otherwise i probably late
It is never to late for testing. If you would like to help in testing, most important is to test if something with CalculiX it not working as expected. Z88 binary is not needed at all for this.

If you would like to try the z88 solver you need the z88r binary for your system. You can download the binary from https://github.com/LSCAD/Z88OS/tree/master/bin. Just copy the binary somewhere and set the path in preferences of FEM module. But take into account far less is supported at the moment compared to CalculiX.

BTW Jee-Bee: the hexahedrons are included as well !
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Fail from my side…
I'm at holliday and thought
oww i can do that now i have time… I can spend some time at FreeCAD
Yes but my former FreeCAD version is really old and building the new one fails with finding the right OCE (i have 0.15 and 0.17…)
I have not enough internet band with to fix it all…
I broke accidentally my dual boot yesterday so i have nothing now :(
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Using calculix only looks unchanged.

Trying to use a z88 analysis and a calculix analysis in the same file is sketchy. Some things work some don't, it depends on the order of creation I think?

If you only use legacy workflow, everything seems ok. Trying to use z88 leads to issues.
I'd vote for a pull request.
a test build
direct download link for win x64
"fight the good fight"
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

sgrogan wrote:Using calculix only looks unchanged. ... If you only use legacy workflow, everything seems ok. ... I'd vote for a pull request.
great, that's the main idea of the development. Thanks for testing and providing the win build. Michael (makkemal) has said he is going to try it too. See if these guys find something.
sgrogan wrote:Trying to use z88 leads to issues. ... Trying to use a z88 analysis and a calculix analysis in the same file is sketchy. Some things work some don't, it depends on the order of creation I think?
Should work too. It is just that not all gui tools are implemented for z88. For example the "start solver control job" is not implemented and you are allowed to have only one solver in an analysis. Means you need to drag and drop them out and in your analysis. Could you give more informations about the problems you have?

How about only activating the Z88 solver in the menue bar only and not in the tool bar?
makkemal

Post by makkemal »

From calulix perspective I don't see any problems.
With z88 I can build the model but nothing happens when I click run, I have tried all the Z88 binaries in the preferences on my ubuntu 14.04 machine ?

I think we should link constraints to specific solver although some of them may be common to all solvers some will only be applicable to certain solvers.
Subsequently is you choose a solver the tool bar should update accordingly !

Merging with our branch results in multiple conflicts, I will do this once this is in the main branch since it may be less work

Regards
Michael
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

makkemal wrote:From calulix perspective I don't see any problems.
Great.
makkemal wrote:With z88 I can build the model but nothing happens when I click run, I have tried all the Z88 binaries in the preferences on my ubuntu 14.04 machine ?
Donwload the binary for linux here. https://github.com/LSCAD/Z88OS/tree/master/bin You only need the file z88r. Open a shell in the directory of the just downloaded binary and rund z88r by "./z88r" , What is the output?
makkemal wrote:I think we should link constraints to specific solver although some of them may be common to all solvers some will only be applicable to certain solvers.
Subsequently is you choose a solver the tool bar should update accordingly !
Good idea. It is like the solver preference. There are a few things inside the GUI which could be improved.
makkemal wrote:Merging with our branch results in multiple conflicts, I will do this once this is in the main branch since it may be less work
Yeah, there are some heavy changes, but mostly moving around code.
makkemal

Post by makkemal »

Ok I have this running
Results for simple problems see fine.

I hope to see support for meshing and post processing beams and shells soon ;)
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

It's in master. Just for reference. To add the new solver Z88

the following modules where added:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... ts.txt#L70

the following files where changed in src/Mod/Fem/
- InitGui.py
- CMakeLists.txt
- _CommandRunSolver.py
- App/CMakeLists.txt
- Gui/Workbench.cpp

commits:

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comm ... c211543b19
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comm ... 8a42058a3f
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comm ... 8944364c6b
crobar

Post by crobar »

If you want to add another industrial strength solver that is open source (GPL) there is Code_Aster which is also already accessed by Salome Meca which is a customised version of Salome Platform which is also based on OpenCASCADE and has embedded python scripting (that could possibly be copied).

EDF use Code_Aster to design their nuclear plants
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

and elmer and an old version of nastran (afaik) and ... That's the great thing FreeCAD is able to handle them all side by side.

If there would be a solver out there optimized for shell and beam elements (even it it is Closed Source) which is what we use in structural engineering I'm happy to add another one, but I have not a strong interest in adding elmer or code aster at the moment.

BTW z88 is still not finished. It does not support all constraints!