New About dialog + credits

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: New About dialog + credits

Post by yorik »

sgrogan wrote:Just my opinion but the forum moderators have committed to something more. Maybe there own category?
I agree but I don't know how to do that... How to decide who to remove from his current category to place him in a forum moderators category?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

yorik wrote: I agree but I don't know how to do that... How to decide who to remove from his current category to place him in a forum moderators category?
I don't know, maybe by a highlight or color? One of the things that drew me to the the project was this forum. Maybe some of the moderators could express their opinions?
"fight the good fight"
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

yorik wrote:
sgrogan wrote:Just my opinion but the forum moderators have committed to something more. Maybe there own category?
I agree but I don't know how to do that... How to decide who to remove from his current category to place him in a forum moderators category?
Like I said earlier, the problem is that you are trying to put people into only one category which makes little sense within a FreeCAD context. I think it would be better to have a name followed by the "achievements" or categories....
E.g
user name .... Forum moderator... Developer...etc

By the way, another thought, we could have different levels of developer, based on number of commits. Perhaps I am over thinking it.

Jim
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

It's a many-to-many relationship. You need a 2D table or multiple entries in multiple tables.
CreditMMRelation.png
CreditMMRelation.png (20.27 KiB) Viewed 2183 times
I am not a member of the Artist category.

wf
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

The number of commits to get into the list is one for example at the wine-project. I think this is reasonable, as you never know how important just one commit can be.
Counting the commits or forum posts manually seems also be error prone. I have more than 900 forum posts but did not get it into the list. :?

Ulrich
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Great idea yorik, makes myself a bit proud. :D

I like the credits tab the way it is just now.

One hint, developer seams sorted by count of commits. This get's a bit difficult to handle because this could change and change in the future and needs to be updated by hand.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Sorry about that Ulrich, I'll include you. If anyone else should be in the list and is not, just tell me

As for the moderators, if anyone who is moderator would prefer to be in a "Moderators" section, just tell me and I create it

About all the other suggestions, it begins to get complicated... Let's keep it simple for now, okay? Otherwise it'll be a hassle to update. The day we have an automatic way to build this list, then we can think to extend it.
r-frank
Veteran

Post by r-frank »

Nice work yorik, thanks for your efforts.

I like the idea to say some sort of "thank you" to all who are contributing (and in most cases in their spare-time).
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

So I am not listed in the community gurus?

I'm a little offended. :D

(Seriously, my contribution to documentation is marginal compared to my participation to the forum, and compared to guys like renatorivo and Mario52 who have thousands of contributions on the wiki)

This credits tab is a nice gesture, thanks!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Your desires are orders, sire! ;)