The FreeCAD manual

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

The FreeCAD manual

Post by yorik »

Some of you know about this already, but I've mostly worked quietly in my corner without telling anyone, on a FreeCAD manual. Now it is more or less ready, so it's time to reveal:
cover.jpg
cover.jpg (117.96 KiB) Viewed 14288 times
https://www.gitbook.com/book/yorikvanha ... ad-manual/

The idea was to do the contrary of the wiki, where a lot of people contribute and is hard to maintain a smooth line easy to grab by newcomers. So I wanted to try to do this more or less alone, to try to keep something like "one line of thought" which maybe will be easier to follow by someone discovering FreeCAD.

The book is of course open-source and free to download, fork, etc. I'm thinking of self-publishing a paper version (for ex. on lulu.com but it'll still need a lot of revision I think), and I'll also merge it on the wiki later so it becomes part of the wiki itself and you guys can help make it better.

I'll be curious to know your opinions and critics!
ediloren

Re: The FreeCAD manual

Post by ediloren »

Looks like a nice job. But before everybody start posting comments, what is your preferred way to receive them? A fork, a post, else?

Ciao
Enrico
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

ediloren wrote:what is your preferred way to receive them? A fork, a post, else?
Anything! But if you want to work directly on it, I suggest you wait until I merge it on the wiki, it will be easier...
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

This is beautiful! Both the style and the content. Where do you find the time?
OSX is probably a couple of versions ahead, because...
Great Job :D
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Looking good.

P.S. I noticed on page 46 (PDF) all links for the tools point to:

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.ph ... _Symmetric
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

sgrogan wrote:This is beautiful! Both the style and the content. Where do you find the time?
Thanks!!! It's basically been some 8, 10 months, one hour here, one hour there...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Wow! Very nice Yorik, and as usual, terrific cover!

I didn't know Gitbook existed. You can even download the book in PDF or ePub format.

I just registered to Gitbook. Not that I want to right now, but I haven't found a "fork" button like on Github.

I've noticed a few typos... ;)

Thanks for doing this! I am certain that it will be tremendously useful! :)
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Awesome!
Brane212

Post by Brane212 »

Awesome. Big THANK YOU, Yorik from me.

One question, when one clones git repo, how is s/he supposed to make desirable format ( pdf, html, etc) from it ?
I see no makefile etc.

Really man, this is what has been needed for a long time. I'm in a financial pinch right now, but it you ever happen to travel through Ljubljana and given usual caveats ( like me being sane, free and alive), you are welcome to stop for a beer or three ;o)

What is interesting, I have stumbled on your repo while desperately Googling around for exactly that - FreeCAD Manual. It took me a good few seconds to comprehend that I'm looking at a friggin git-repo ! Git clone is a rather unusual way to share a book ;o)

Edit: Git_book_ . I understand now. It would be nice to have a good way to get manually from folder of files to pdf/etc, but that's I suppose their selling point.
Last edited by Brane212 on Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

yorik wrote: Thanks!!! It's basically been some 8, 10 months, one hour here, one hour there...
Thanks a lot Yorik!!!
It helps me a lot... I'm going to revisit many of my FC approaches following the manual!

Great MUST HAVE! :D

Maurice