2 questions

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
carlod

2 questions

Post by carlod »

When editing a sketch which has already a feature connected to it, changing something affects immediately the related feature (e.g. changing the radius of an hole). When the sketch is simple there isn't any problem, but when the sketch is really complex (e.g. a padding of gear), the sw needs some second to update the feature in real time (pointer as hour glass, no user action allowed).
Since I don't need this sort of direct modelling that slow down the design, can be turned off?
An option in the preferences windows to disable this feature can be a solution.
In addition I can tell that at last rev 5150, with this behaviour, this is the only case where happens that the sw crashes.
What do you think?

If I have a to model a complex pad that I can't draw by myself but I have the part profile as dxf, there is a method to transform the imported dxf in a sketch?
I woudn't use some kind of script, because at this time and to continue on contribute with testing, I'd like to remain a freecad normal user.
wmayer
Founder

Re: 2 questions

Post by wmayer »

1. When switching off the direct modelling behaviour how should it work to update the sketch then? You need a button or something to request this update? Besides that it's not clear what causes the slow-down. I don't think it's the solver but more likely the display of the dozens of constraints and texts. If you e.g. open the Scene Inspector utility while a sketch is in edit mode you'll see many, many separator nodes (for the constraints) and that usually is the bottleneck. So, a quick solution could be to offer an option to hide the constraints in the 3d view. The long-term solution should be to reduce the number of separator nodes.

2. We already have a DXF importer in the Draft workbench. So, what we should have is a function to convert existing 2d geometries into a sketch object.
carlod

Post by carlod »

I agree with you and I don't want to complain about sketcher performance for large sketch. It is already great as it is an will be better in the future.
But it is really needed to update the model during the sketch editing? Cannot be done only when the close button is pushed?
The workflow in my mind is:
- draw a sketch.
- apply a feature. Hey I don't like it!
- edit the sketch (maybe hiding the part because I must be focused on the sketch).
- close the sketch and watch how the feature is now.
- reiterate, if needed.

Ok.I will wait for this function. Will be another big step :D
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

It's not a complaint but justifiable request to make the sketcher faster.
But it is really needed to update the model during the sketch editing? Cannot be done only when the close button is pushed?
The workflow in my mind is:
- draw a sketch.
- apply a feature. Hey I don't like it!
- edit the sketch (maybe hiding the part because I must be focused on the sketch).
- close the sketch and watch how the feature is now.
- reiterate, if needed.
Ah, you meant dependent features like pad or pocket. That wasn't clear to me in your first post. Yes, I think that might be a practicable solution.
carlod

Post by carlod »

Thanks.. :D

I hope my suggestion can help to improve the software and as starting point for some kind of solution that you surely will find ;)
danielfalck

Post by danielfalck »

Hi carlod.
I am attaching a python script that will convert simpler elements in a DXF file to Sketch elements. It will work on lines, arcs, and circles, but not polylines. You will notice that my script borrows heavily from yorik's importDXF.py script in the Draft module. You can copy/paste the contents into a *.macro file.

Dan Falck
Attachments
DXF2Sketch.py.zip
(3.27 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
carlod

Post by carlod »

Yeah, it is perfect.
I think Werner can add it to the source and add a button and everything is done.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I can add this to the Draft module, but should we do that now, before the 0.12 release? It might have bugs or not work in one or another case, which is annoying if it is spread in debian already... I'd prefer to do that after the release, if it's ok with everybody
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

I agree with Yorik. Also because a very limited number of geometries is supported in the script.
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

I would add it directly in the sketch module, since it generate a Sketch....

I plan anyway some python code modules for the sketch module with some helper methods, like autoconstraining and so on....
Stop whining - start coding!