Strange looking background for constrain's marks: from 0.16 and back

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
liutas4x4

Strange looking background for constrain's marks: from 0.16 and back

Post by liutas4x4 »

Hi,

After installing 0.16, background around every constrain sign and dimension text on sketch became black. On projects with many of them it does reading / observing heavy sketch a bit complicated.
Moreover: 0.15 still in place and he got this "bug" too (because of shared preferences?).

I cannot found special settings for this color in Edit->Preferences->Display> Sketcher. There are other variable I can alter?

Eugenijus
Color Prefs.png
Color Prefs.png (1.58 KiB) Viewed 1500 times
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Strange looking background for constrain's marks: from 0.16 and back

Post by NormandC »

Hello Eugenijus,

This is a help request thus should have been posted in "Help on using FreeCAD" forum.

Furthermore this type of question is best answered with full FreeCAD info, as explained in the forum rules, link for it in the Help forum in the big red banner at the top.

One more thing that may be relevant, is the graphics card or chipset on your computer.
liutas4x4

Post by liutas4x4 »

Sorry for posting in not the right place.
I'll learn the Rules in natural way :)
Do you want I'll move it?

As for graphic card, your version is not correct: I have "clean" version of same Windows on spare disk (old school system programmer's habit), and 0.15 on it. There are no those annoying things. They became to appear only on working copy exactly after installing of 0.16. It is something from cross-reading some (shared?) preferences for both versions.

Eugenijus
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

liutas4x4 wrote:Do you want I'll move it?
Only an admin or moderator can.
liutas4x4 wrote:As for graphic card, your version is not correct
I mentioned that it may help to know what your graphics card is, how is that "not correct"?

You seem to know more than me, so I'm outta here. :roll:
liutas4x4

Post by liutas4x4 »

OK, I got it: you suspect a video issue. I'll check it brutally, through registry.

As for moving - I was about reposting with cancelling there. It makes sense now?

Eugenijus
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

liutas4x4 wrote:OK, I got it: you suspect a video issue. I'll check it brutally, through registry.
What almost always causes this problem on Windows is "out of date" and or buggy/bad GPU drivers. The problem almost always goes away if you go to the GPU manufacturers web site and download the latest driver for you GPU/Windows versions. Do not rely on Windows update system to get you the latest driver.
liutas4x4 wrote:As for graphic card, your version is not correct: I have "clean" version of same Windows on spare disk (old school system programmer's habit),
Then you almost certainly have a bad GPU driver.

liutas4x4 wrote:Sorry for posting in not the right place.

I moved it, by the way did the system tell you that I moved your topic by sending you a PM/email or something?
liutas4x4

Post by liutas4x4 »

I moved it, by the way did the system tell you that I moved your topic by sending you a PM/email or something?
No, I got nothing.
Then you almost certainly have a bad GPU driver.
I checked the versions: installed 8.14.1.620, the last is 8.97.100.11.
I am trying now to change it.
But anyway - why exactly on 0.16?

OK. I'll report there.

Eugenijus
liutas4x4

Post by liutas4x4 »

So...

After changing the driver, got the same buggy image.
New 016.png
New 016.png (2.57 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
But while I open this file on the same system copy, where are no any sign of 0.16,
I got the second, clear picture.
Old 015.png
Old 015.png (3.44 KiB) Viewed 1449 times
Moreover: while Edit->Preferences->Display tab is open and "Apply" button is pressed (0.16 or 0.15 on installation of both, "infected") picture is clear until cursor reach any line of the drawing.

I stay: there was no any things like that before installing 0.16 and there are no any sign of that on backed up copy of install without 0.16. The same machine, the same Windows, differences only in 0.16 and the stuff not related to drivers.

Eugenijus

P.S. Wanna sysinfo report of machine?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

liutas4x4 wrote:P.S. Wanna sysinfo report of machine?
It might be useful to at least tell us exactly what version of Windows and exactly what GPU you have.

The forum Rules above will show you how to properly post your FreeCAD version data.

It can be helpful to explain exactly which file of FreeCAD you down loaded from where. If you are talking about the official versions that I suspect you are, then 0.15 and 0.16 are compiled against different libpacks (I think). It is quite likely that 0.16 or its libs will use different aspects of OpenGL. Some GPU driver combinations will show artefacts in some limited places.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Five replies later, and liutas4x4 still has not said what his damn GPU is. He has not provided his full FreeCAD info either. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

It's an AMD/ATI one I am almost certain of it. This kind of display glitch is almost always found on AMD/ATI GPUs. I just wanted liutas4x4 to confirm it but it seems liutas4x4's not interested in giving us such information.

But hey, what do I know? I've only been around here since 2010 and read most of the posts written here. For example this one.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16701
r-frank wrote:At home i am using FreeCAd on a computer equipped with a AMD 7750 graphics card.
I have a black background around the constraints-symbols in the sketcher
Some people deserve help, others don't. My mind is now made up on which category liutas4x4 is in.