New Module for Technical Drawings (TechDraw)

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
r-frank
Veteran

Re: New Module for Technical Drawings (TechDraw)

Post by r-frank »

wandererfan wrote: That said, it does seem like a long time to rebuild. Your file will be quite useful for testing. Thanks for sharing it.
wf
You need more test files ?
I did some assemblies - Since 0.17.8047 is up (hopefully with first release of techdraw) i maybe will find some time
this weekend to do first tests ...
It should be easy to to a compound and a simple copy, set up a drawing and upload the file(s).

Do you have a git branch for pull ?
I can create one on my github-account if that is also convenient ...

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

r-frank wrote:You need more test files ?
Always need real test files!
r-frank wrote:Do you have a git branch for pull ?
I can create one on my github-account if that is also convenient ...
I keep test files here: https://github.com/WandererFan/FCDraw2Test. Let me know if you have trouble accessing.

Thanks,
wf
efyx

Post by efyx »

Can you update is anything is going forward with TechDraw? Github isn't updated for a while I don't know to write there issues or not?
Will you use code from "drawing dimensioning" because there is a lot of very cool and good thought out stuff.

Advantages of techdraw is operating on views (moving them by mouse draging) but drawing dimensioning is much more user friendly:
- the idea of highlighting the lines for dimensiong is just cool it helps to choose them better,
- one utility for dimensioning is much easier to use, I don't need to choose first verticles or lines and then think which icon od dimensioning I should use,
- tolerances in drawing dimensioning are very well done,
- center lines - very good.

Why not to use those features?

What is very needed:
- is section view, by choosing on view line of section - I know there is a section view already but isn't intuational and no symbol on view drawing,
- detail very important, will be planned in near time?
- indication of scale size on drawing, I mean parent of others views is in scale of a drawing then no description, but if one of children views is changed to another scale different then a size of drawing, the description with a choosen scale should appears - I would say it is more important than a view names and could be in the same position.

Good job anyway and we are waiting for more :P
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

efyx wrote:Can you update is anything is going forward with TechDraw? Github isn't updated for a while I don't know to write there issues or not?
The code is now in master, the places to discuss code that is in master or being worked on with the intention of going into master is here on the FreeCAD forums.

3rd party add ons are usually developed with their own infrastructure, in most cases on GitHub or similar, so is usually best to post issues there where the developer will see them more easily.
efyx wrote:Will you use code from "drawing dimensioning" because there is a lot of very cool and good thought out stuff.
Its not necessarily that simple, and has been discussed recently in other topics in these forums, I think it was in the topic where Hamish announced his intention of ceasing working on his two workbenches.

In general your questions are about development, this is a feature announcement forum. Please feel free to create a new topic or post, in an appropriate forum.

note to everyone,
This is a feature announcement forum, some of these previous posts are about development and testing etc. so please move the discussion into a topic on an appropriate forum. Generally speaking, start talking about bugs in Help and discuss development in Developers corner. This topic has become 5 pages long and has long since past being a feature announcement. So I have decided to lock the topic for now. I or any of the other Mods or Admins will be happy to unlock it again if needed.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

WF is keeping his "techDraw" github repository for the time being. For most users that means just use the official FreeCAD from master, since now that TechDraw is in official FreeCAD master, it is likely that bug fixes and new features will quickly be pulled into master. However those advanced/curious/helpful users who can compile FreeCAD and want to help test his bug fixes/new features before they are pushed to master may be able to pull from WF's development branch but I will leave that up to him.

this is a link to the now obsolete repository which has been pushed into master
https://github.com/WandererFan/FreeCAD-TechDraw

This next link is to the original temporary wiki on wf's github account for the above TechDraw repo, it provides useful information but its information will eventually be pushed into the official FreeCAD wiki. This process has started, I think WF would be delighted if anyone wants to help with doing this. :)
https://github.com/WandererFan/FreeCAD-TechDraw/wiki

Work on the code for TechDraw is at a point where merging into master was appropriate and highly desirable but it is by no means finished. I have no doubt that any coding help would be welcomed by WF and all. :)

Finally a big thank you, to WF and all the others who helped write code or in other ways helped TechDraw make it to master! :)

Jim
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Thanks, Jim.

To summarize the development situation:
GitHub/Wandererfan/FreeCAD-TechDraw is closed and of interest only to historians.
New development is in GitHub/FreeCAD/FreeCAD and GitHub/Wandererfan/FreeCAD.

New issues should go through the usual forum discussion & Mantis ticket process.

Documentation goes in the FreeCAD Wiki.

Thanks to all for their patience, assistance and kind words.

wf
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The DraftView of TechDraw now fully works like the Drawing version. You can make Draft Views of any Part- or Draft-based object, or a group. There are several new adjustments possible to fine-tune line and text aspect.
screenshot.jpg
screenshot.jpg (227.69 KiB) Viewed 4843 times
Next will be the Arch section plane
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

yorik wrote:The DraftView of TechDraw now fully works like the Drawing version. You can make Draft Views of any Part- or Draft-based object, or a group. There are several new adjustments possible to fine-tune line and text aspect.

screenshot.jpg

Next will be the Arch section plane
So, so cool!
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

yorik wrote:The DraftView of TechDraw now fully works like the Drawing version... Next will be the Arch section plane
Indeed very interesting!

Ona bit similar topic, there is one thing I was wondering for some time, for the normal 3d view, would it be possible to have something like filters where you could for example chose to show or hide just some type of geometry or grupe or object type. So for example you would click on one "filter" and it would show just just the Arch section, or click on another one and it would show just the 3d walls,... ? :roll:
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

yorik wrote:The DraftView of TechDraw now fully works like the Drawing version.
Great.

P.S. Likely not but could the work in drawing dimensioning be somehow reused for DraftDrawing geometry in TechDraw?