Help compiling nglib onWin

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

Help compiling nglib onWin

Post by sgrogan »

Due to my ignorance to non-cmake build procedure I need help to compile nglib for windows (and ubuntu ;) )
What do I need to learn? Automake, NMAKE, or Can I launch the MS IDE w/ the .sln file https://github.com/peterl94/clbundler-f ... /netgen.py(might not understand the python here) and chase the linker errors i "Project Properties"?
"fight the good fight"
wmayer
Founder

Re: Help compiling nglib onWin

Post by wmayer »

Unless you have to change compiler flags there is no need to learn automake or nmake. If the source tarball doesn't include a Makefile you have to first run ./configure, then make and make install.

On Windows just enter nmake. If an .sln file is included then use Visual Studio.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

wmayer wrote:If an .sln file is included then use Visual Studio.
There is a nglib.sln, so adding the dependencies in the VS IDE to project properties I've come to a problem linking to zlib1.lib Is this the same as zlibstatic.lib in the libpack? I don't see zlib1.h in the downloaded zlib sources (I've only examined the zlib sources I haven't tried to compile it) If so do I need to patch the nglib sources to use this library?
"fight the good fight"
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

to zlib1.lib Is this the same as zlibstatic.lib in the libpack?
No, the zlib.lib makes the nglib linking the zlib dll (dynamic linking), while zlibstatic.lib copies all symbols into the nglib.dll (static linking) and makes it slightly bigger. I prefer using the dynamic linking approach.
I don't see zlib1.h in the downloaded zlib sources
The file is called zlib.h and you can use the version of the libpack.
If so do I need to patch the nglib sources to use this library?
You don't have to touch the source code. You only have to add search paths for include directories and library files in the project settings.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

wmayer wrote: The file is called zlib.h and you can use the version of the libpack.
This is what I was expecting except the error is

Code: Select all

1>------ Build started: Project: nglib, Configuration: Release x64 ------
1>LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'zlib1.lib'
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========
"fight the good fight"
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

cannot open input file 'zlib1.lib'
It can't find the file zlib1.lib. Depending on the used libpack the file is zlib.lib. In this case just make a copy of it and rename it to zlib1.lib.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

wmayer wrote:It can't find the file zlib1.lib. Depending on the used libpack the file is zlib.lib. In this case just make a copy of it and rename it to zlib1.lib.
Thanks for the continued support. I get the following now

Error	2	error MSB3073: The command ""C:\Users\Chris\GitHub\netgen-mesher-git-cf713efd2da43a733abf06f7c9b5c9697fef7e78\windows\\postBuild_nglib.bat" "nglib" "nglib.dll" "Release" "x64" "C:\Users\Chris\GitHub\netgen-mesher-git-cf713efd2da43a733abf06f7c9b5c9697fef7e78\windows\"
:VCEnd" exited with code 1.	C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets	132	5	nglib
I don't think this matters because nglib.dll and nglib.lib are created. I did this without the OCCT7 patches but will repeat the process with them included then try to compile FreeCAD against this. I assume I will need zlib1.dll created by copying and renaming at runtime?
"fight the good fight"
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Thanks for the continued support. I get the following now
It looks like it wanted to copy the files to a certain place which failed for any reason. But since it created the files it doesn't matter.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

wmayer wrote:It looks like it wanted to copy the files to a certain place which failed for any reason. But since it created the files it doesn't matter.
Because there is not an install target a post build script is run that tries to copy the files to a write protected location (admin privileges are required)
Thanks again for the help.
"fight the good fight"
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Latest attempt:

1. Downloaded netgen 5.1 snapshot from here: https://sourceforge.net/p/netgen-mesher ... -5.1/tree/
2. Applied changes as explained here: viewtopic.php?f=17&p=127000#p126997
3. Build nglib, Copy and Replace nglib.dll, nglib.lib, nglib.h, and the changed .hpp files over existing locations in the libpack.
Scratch build FreeCAD

Error	2	error C2375: 'netgen::OCCGenerateMesh' : redefinition; different linkage	C:\Users\Chris\GitHub\FreeCAD\src\3rdParty\salomesmesh\src\NETGENPlugin\NETGENPlugin_Mesher.cpp	87	1	NETGENPlugin
Error	3	error C2568: '=' : unable to resolve function overload	C:\Users\Chris\GitHub\FreeCAD\src\3rdParty\salomesmesh\src\NETGENPlugin\NETGENPlugin_Mesher.cpp	2505	1	NETGENPlugin
Error	4	error C2568: '=' : unable to resolve function overload	C:\Users\Chris\GitHub\FreeCAD\src\3rdParty\salomesmesh\src\NETGENPlugin\NETGENPlugin_Mesher.cpp	2606	1	NETGENPlugin
Error	5	error C2568: '=' : unable to resolve function overload	C:\Users\Chris\GitHub\FreeCAD\src\3rdParty\salomesmesh\src\NETGENPlugin\NETGENPlugin_Mesher.cpp	2647	1	NETGENPlugin
Error	6	error C2568: '=' : unable to resolve function overload	C:\Users\Chris\GitHub\FreeCAD\src\3rdParty\salomesmesh\src\NETGENPlugin\NETGENPlugin_Mesher.cpp	2757	1	NETGENPlugin
Error	7	error C2568: '=' : unable to resolve function overload	C:\Users\Chris\GitHub\FreeCAD\src\3rdParty\salomesmesh\src\NETGENPlugin\NETGENPlugin_Mesher.cpp	2859	1	NETGENPlugin
Error	8	error C2568: '=' : unable to resolve function overload	C:\Users\Chris\GitHub\FreeCAD\src\3rdParty\salomesmesh\src\NETGENPlugin\NETGENPlugin_Mesher.cpp	2891	1	NETGENPlugin
Error	9	error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'int (__cdecl *)(netgen::OCCGeometry &,netgen::Mesh *&,netgen::MeshingParameters &,int,int)' to 'int'	C:\Users\Chris\GitHub\FreeCAD\src\3rdParty\salomesmesh\src\NETGENPlugin\NETGENPlugin_Mesher.cpp	3113	1	NETGENPlugin
Error	11	error C2375: 'netgen::OCCGenerateMesh' : redefinition; different linkage	C:\Users\Chris\GitHub\FreeCAD\src\3rdParty\salomesmesh\src\NETGENPlugin\NETGENPlugin_NETGEN_2D_ONLY.cpp	70	1	NETGENPlugin
Error	12	error C2568: '=' : unable to resolve function overload	C:\Users\Chris\GitHub\FreeCAD\src\3rdParty\salomesmesh\src\NETGENPlugin\NETGENPlugin_NETGEN_2D_ONLY.cpp	478	1	NETGENPlugin
Error	14	error C2375: 'netgen::OCCGenerateMesh' : redefinition; different linkage	C:\Users\Chris\GitHub\FreeCAD\src\3rdParty\salomesmesh\src\NETGENPlugin\NETGENPlugin_NETGEN_3D.cpp	79	1	NETGENPlugin
Error	15	error C2568: '=' : unable to resolve function overload	C:\Users\Chris\GitHub\FreeCAD\src\3rdParty\salomesmesh\src\NETGENPlugin\NETGENPlugin_NETGEN_3D.cpp	475	1	NETGENPlugin
Error	16	error LNK1181: cannot open input file '..\..\..\..\lib\Release\NETGENPlugin.lib'	C:\Users\Chris\GitHub\FCNG-build\src\Mod\MeshPart\App\LINK	MeshPart
Error	17	error LNK1181: cannot open input file '..\..\..\..\lib\Release\NETGENPlugin.lib'	C:\Users\Chris\GitHub\FCNG-build\src\Mod\Fem\App\LINK	Fem
Error	18	error LNK1181: cannot open input file '..\App\Release\MeshPart.lib'	C:\Users\Chris\GitHub\FCNG-build\src\Mod\MeshPart\Gui\LINK	MeshPartGui
Error	19	error LNK1181: cannot open input file '..\App\Release\Fem.lib'	C:\Users\Chris\GitHub\FCNG-build\src\Mod\Fem\Gui\LINK	FemGui
Do I need to apply additional patches? like here: https://github.com/peterl94/clbundler-f ... hes/netgen

EDIT: Or could I have some sort of circular dependency issue. I'm building nglib with the provided nglib.sln file in the netgen windows folder, and adding the paths to link against the existing libpack when VS complains, could VS be using the unmodified header files from the existing libpack instead of the modified ones in the netgen libsrc's?
"fight the good fight"