New FreeCad User

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cnirbhay

New FreeCad User

Post by cnirbhay »

Hello everyone, warm greetings from India.

My name is Nirbhay Chauhan. It's been a week that I've been introduced to FreeCad and I found it really so interesting. I've used many BIM software earlier but the freedom of modeling that FreeCad provides is far better than other proprietary software. I'm still learning and exploring FreeCad every day and have recently created my own blog (https://cnirbhay.wordpress.com/blog/) where I'm sharing my FreeCad modeling and FEM experiences.

I hope you guys can found that a bit helpful, also I'll be very thankful if anyone can refer me blogs, tutorials or documentations related to Arch/FEM workbench of FreeCad. Till now I've found very limited learning material.
r-frank
Veteran

Re: New FreeCad User

Post by r-frank »

Hello Nirbhay.

Welcome to FreeCAD and the forum.

On youtube you will find some videos like:
Presentation of FreeCAD's Arch Workbench - by Yorik van Havre (the main programmer of the arch workbench)
Tutoriel FreeCAD Arch Modélisation d'une maison fr - user "rockn" on the forum ("wood galaxy" on youtube)
Freecad for Architecture: A new way of doing BIM with Mesh Imports - from Regis Nde Tene (i don't remember him posting here ...)

Yorik van Havre has his own blog/website.

The FEM workbench has reached a usable state not long ago.
Aside from the sub-forum in the developer-section and the entries on the tutorial-page i think there is not much more documentation at the moment.

You will soon realize that FreeCAD is a great program, but unfortunately it is badly in need of users contributing documentation of all sort ...

That's all i know for starters ...

Roland
Deutsche FreeCAD Tutorials auf Youtube
My GrabCAD FreeCAD-Projects
FreeCAD lessons for beginners in english

Native german speaker - so apologies for my english, no offense intended :)
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Hello cnirbhay, and Welcome :)

To add to r-frank's suggestions:
For FEM, due to the incredible development pace, you should probably try out the 0.17 development release for your platform (looks like Win from the screenshots on your blog?) There are new features/bug fixes almost daily :) As r-frank has pointed out, for FEM, the best source of documentation is to follow the FEM sub-forum. As a very special case to normal FreeCAD practice, posting help requests to the FEM development sub-forum is encouraged (For FEM specific problems of course). What is help or usage or a bug or an opportunity to improve is very much in flux. There is a small group of FEM developers that are AWESOME! They are very receptive to users concerns and very willing to help. A recent post in the sub forum points to this in-process training http://opensim.co.za/index.php?option=c ... Itemid=618

BTW: Very nice graphics on your blog.
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi Nirbhay Chauhan. I looked at your blog and it looks like you are doing a good job.

Keep up!
cnirbhay

Post by cnirbhay »

Thank you, r-frank. I can understand the difficulties and will start its youtube tutorials soon of what I'm learning every day.
cnirbhay

Post by cnirbhay »

Thanks sgrogan, I'll definitely try out the version you mentioned and will take care to post the queries in the specific categories of the post next time.
And, thanks for appreciating my blog. :-)