Stumped on combining objects

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
earthcare

Stumped on combining objects

Post by earthcare »

Hi all,

I'm trying to draw up an object for injection moulding: it's based on two imported and extruded DXFs, which I've positioned in layers. But I can't seem to merge the 3 layers into a single object. I've tried Draft > Upgrade, Part > Union and Part > Join; the only one that gets a change is Part > Union, but it still displays the layers and each is selectable, which isn't what I want. Is there a way to do this?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6703 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: 2ce5c8d2e3020d05005ed71f710e09e9aa561f40
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
Attachments
SinglePieceInjectionMouldedClip-16-08-18.fcstd
(94.27 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
ickby
Veteran

Re: Stumped on combining objects

Post by ickby »

When you measure the distance between some edges of your individual parts with the Part workbench measurement tools you will find that they are 5.96e-007mm apart, which is more than FreeCADs tolerance. Hence thex are found to be not overlaping. The result of this is that the fusion works, but it contains 3 seperate solids.

If you look at your placements you will find that the exact distance we measured is written in the y position. If you just set it to 0 there the fusion will work flawless (at least with occ7.0 which I use). Than you just need to make sure you refine the result when you don't want to see the subdivided faces.
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

In the properties of your extrusions make the Y-coordinates zero and change the solid to true. than you can fuse the three extrusions to one shape in the part workbench,
Knipsel.PNG
Knipsel.PNG (26.28 KiB) Viewed 1989 times
earthcare

Post by earthcare »

Willem

Another thing learned - thank you.

But I'm a bit confused: I can't find a "fuse" in the part workbench, and both "Union" and "Connect" result in a single item in the combo model but with the separate extrusions still selectable. Is this where I should be refining?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

earthcare wrote:But I'm a bit confused: I can't find a "fuse" in the part workbench, and both "Union" and "Connect" result in a single item in the combo model but with the separate extrusions still selectable. Is this where I should be refining?
Part Fuse is Part Union. I'm not sure why we call it fuse, maybe because the resulting object is labelled "Fusion" in the Model tree; or maybe the command was named fuse in the past, then was changed to Union.

It does produce a single solid, but due to a bug/limitation in the geometric kernel (OCC) used by FreeCAD, the original edges from the parent shapes always remain. It's why one of the FreeCAD developers added a refining algorithm that analyzes planar and cylindrical faces and joins faces that are found coplanar. There are two methods in the GUI to use this tool:
  • The Part --> Refine shape menu creates a new independent object that is not linked to the parent shape. Any change to the objects used in the Fusion will not follow to the refined shape; it would need to be deleted and created again.
  • The OpenSCAD workbench's Refine shape feature is based on the Part Refine shape tool, but it creates a parametric feature linked to the parent object.