Automation in Design

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

bernd
Veteran

Re: Automation in Design

Post by bernd »

chakkree wrote:@Bernd ...I will try to export data from rebar object to dxf. My objective of creating rebar model, I want to make BOQ of rebar or make a Bar-cut schedule.
Why dxf? Do you need bar-cut-schedule in dxf in your country?

If the material bill (including the Bar-cut schedule) is created inside FreeCAD by python, we could export it to svg. An svg is easely converted to pdf. In switzerland we only need pdf for the Bar-cut-schedule.

bernd
chakkree

Post by chakkree »

I agree with you, to use svg for the report. SVG can display on a mobile device.

I'll check SVG python library that suitable for manage this. May be...
1. xml.etree, an internal library
2. svgwrite
3. pySVG
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

chakkree wrote:I agree with you, to use svg for the report. SVG can display on a mobile device.

I'll check SVG python library that suitable for manage this. May be...
1. xml.etree, an internal library
2. svgwrite
3. pySVG
And why not making it in FreeCAD with FreeCAD draft objects or drawing objects and export the FreeCAD objects to svg, pdf, or whatever. If some formating goes wrong it could be changed in FreeCAD before export. May be have an own object bar shape cut list. I ... We do not have something in the regard of a material bill in FreeCAD. Do we? I'm just thinking noisy ...
Last edited by bernd on Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

An spread sheet object ... ?!?
chakkree

Post by chakkree »

bernd wrote:An spread sheet object ... ?!?
I'll check python library for export spreadsheet form this link.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

chakkree wrote:
bernd wrote:An spread sheet object ... ?!?
I'll check python library for export spreadsheet form this link.
I mean FreeCAD spreadsheet object. It would be useful to somehow internal save the rebar cut shape list. But it was just an idea. I have not yet used the FreeCAD spreadsheet.

For export I would prefere svg.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Yes the spreadsheet would be perfect for this. And it can already be placed on a Drawing sheet when done...
hardeeprai

Post by hardeeprai »

bernd wrote:somthing I can sell to customers, means drawings and material bills

<snip>

But the drawing is a challange at the moment, and the material bill not possible at the moment. But we will see such stuff in FreeCAD ...
Perfect.

I believe you all are pushing in that direction aggressively.

I will also like to do my bit.
--
H.S.Rai
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Here is a nice example of automated dimensioning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmbGLuD6E94 :)

Or we can just add some AI in the background and let it learn to do everything :roll:
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

saso wrote:Here is a nice example of automated dimensioning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmbGLuD6E94 :)
I've been thinking a lot about that issue too (there is an issue on the tracker - issue #515). This basically requires a building that is very understandable by a computer - that is, the computer can find exactly, for example, the external envelope of the building. Then you can find all the East walls, find all their windows, and find all the inner walls connected to them.

But that means: very rigid buildings. However, exceptions can be many. What if a column gets in the way? What if some side has no wall at all? What is a wall is 45°, therefore being both West and North? What if a wall is curved? What is one wall is at the same time inner and outer? The quantity of unpredictable exceptions can be infinite. So a very "powerful" automatic dimensioning tool will also be very limited to canonical cases.

The ideal would be a system that can go "as far as possible" , but would let you adapt manually to your special cases. But so far I haven't had a clue about how to start to design such a system :D