The Big TechDraw Comments Thread

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Re: The Big TechDraw Comments Thread

Post by triplus »

While we are at the mouse behaviour. It would be nice if Zoom at cursor and Reverse zoom functionality/setting from Preferences -> Display section would be implemented/respected in the future.
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

efyx wrote:Now we can pan the darwing - that's cool. But... for panning I am using also a LMB which makes a mess because when I don't target into filed of drawing I am moving whole sheet. Better for panning sheet is MMB. BTW when I am panning sheet is getting laggy - I don't know why (just mentioning that).
I don't have an MMB, so this one might take a while! :D
[/quote]
Hm, shoudn't this respect the mouse settings? as we can pan in the 3d view I wouldfind it intuitive to pan the same way in the drawing.
efyx

Post by efyx »

ickby wrote:I wouldfind it intuitive to pan the same way in the drawing.
Yes and no. If there will be some additional menu under LMB it can generates some problems. For now LMB is fair enough ;)
wandererfan wrote:...
Edit -> Preferences -> TechDraw changing "projection angle" when I have some already drafts doesn't affect anything.

Also what is missing on a default template is small symbol of "projection angle" (see attached). It should change when projection type is changing.

BTW. is there any way to call someone (get a notification) on forum (for example @wandererfan) with no need to quote?
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

ickby wrote:I would find it intuitive to pan the same way in the drawing.

Makes sense, but drawing uses QGraphics pan/zoom facilities and 3D view uses Coin(??) so I can't borrow code. Will have to figure it out eventually.
efyx wrote: Edit -> Preferences -> TechDraw changing "projection angle" when I have some already drafts doesn't affect anything.
Preference is used at object creation time. After that, you can change to Page's projection angle property to affect all the projection groups, or change an individual group's' projection property (not sure why you'd have 1 drawing with 2 projection systems on it, but it is possible).
efyx wrote:Also what is missing on a default template is small symbol of "projection angle" (see attached). It should change when projection type is changing.
You're welcome to change the templates in Inkscape to include a symbol and submit a change. We could then add code to match the symbol to the property.
efyx wrote: BTW. is there any way to call someone (get a notification) on forum (for example @wandererfan) with no need to quote?
PM?
efyx

Post by efyx »

wandererfan wrote:PM?
not privat message, but something will put Notification signal, without quoting.. to call someone into place of topic e.g. @wanderefan and you will get notification about thread.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Hello!

Since the FreeCADNr.: 0.17.8602 (wandererfans Ph2 is merged) the speed of TechDraw is, simply said, insane fast. Even some commercial programs are not so fast as this. I owe you a bugreport but at the moment i have no time ..... sorry.

Super work of you!

Greetings
user1234
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hi wandererfan,
wandererfan wrote:
efyx wrote:Also what is missing on a default template is small symbol of "projection angle" (see attached). It should change when projection type is changing.
You're welcome to change the templates in Inkscape to include a symbol and submit a change. We could then add code to match the symbol to the property.
Just FYI, in the few commercial parametric CAD packages I've used, none of them add the projection symbol to the active template as efyx requested. The template already has it. The norm is for the projection angle to be "set and forget" in the user preferences (it is not revealed in the view creation parameters). You do not change it just for the fun of it. Accordingly the projection symbol is included in templates.

I won't stop you if you want to go for it (I couldn't if I wanted to :D ); but what about its placement on the page? Will it automatically go at the correct place for custom templates? What if the end user has not provided space for it in his custom template?

To be blunt, I really don't see the purpose of such functionality, and I feel there's a lot more useful stuff to be done before adding this.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

There is a slightly deeper problem involved here. And that is when i made a set of ISO 7200 drawing templates i focused on ISO 7200 standard and simplicity. As i do imagine regular FreeCAD users don't want to be overwhelmed by complexity of the title block. From the projection point of view first angle projection makes sense here. Now i do assume places in the world using third angle projections don't use ISO 7200 standard and paper size is different?
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

NormandC wrote:Just FYI, in the few commercial parametric CAD packages I've used, none of them add the projection symbol to the active template as efyx requested. The template already has it.
I lean towards this myself. Even if a design office uses both projection systems (for different clients?) I would think they would draw the first angle ones on a first angle template and the the third angle ones on a third angle template.

We probably have too many places to choose a projection system - preferences, page and projection group. We only need 1 (preferences) or maybe 2 (preferences & page). Handy for testing, though.

Anyway, as you said, lots of stuff ahead of this in the queue.

wf
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

I would say there should be 2 places for a projection selection.
preferences what set it default for the drawings and in the document that overrule the preference (tree options? first angle; third angle and default = systemsetting?)