Broke my filliter??

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Mongrel_Shark

Re: Broke my filliter??

Post by Mongrel_Shark »

OK I think I have the hang of the Part Sweep tool

Attached is the latest version lure. Its a lot closer to what my friend wants (ultimately he wants a few sizes and shapes etc). A lot of the filleted bits in the first version where not strictly necessary. I just didn't know how to do it another way.

One new problem though. There was no suitable face for the eye holes. Had to sketch them to a different face and they come out at the wrong angle. The pocket should be perpendicular to the taper.

The attached file has a shallow pocket for the eyes so its more visible. The plan is to glue googly eyes in there. The angle may or may not be a problem. If I did need a flat face to get a more perpendicular hole. I'm thinking I could do a 2 stage part sweep, with an extra square halfway down the part and thus get a suitable face for sketching on the tapered bit?

One other thing you guys may be able to help with. The nose of the lure is supposed to spray water as its reeled in. The Chamfer I put on the latest version is a bit of a kludge. I would prefer to have a convex curve here. Thinking maybe use a conic sketch and rotate/groove the nose out? If that’s a good way to do it how would I go about it? I've had limited success with groove. Almost tempted to make a football (Rugby/AFL) shape then boolean cut it out. Or is there a better way? An inverted/internal fillet would be pretty good... But that didn't go well last time I tried...
Attachments
MK2gtpopper.fcstd
(806.04 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
Mongrel_Shark

Post by Mongrel_Shark »

Not a circle made of 4 arcs. A square with filleted corners. The line length left is only 0.01mm. Goal is to have the same number of segments between both sketches. Otherwise you don't get a proper sweep.
Ohhh Thats why I couldn’t get a flat face there.... facepalm.

I was looking at the downloaded file. I'm just not experienced enough with freecad to see exactly how it was all done. Had to watch a few youtube videos to get the sweep to work... The 0.001 straights slipped under my radar.
Mongrel_Shark

Post by Mongrel_Shark »

Ok attempt 3 went heaps better now I have an equal number of faces :D. The computer liked it more too, less processor drain and no freecad crashes this time :D

Getting faster too. Only took me about 5 min to do the main body of the attached file. I can also change the sweep sketches and alter the fillets with ease :D Thank you for all the help NormandC My original problem is solved much better now :)

I then spent another 20 min trying to get a better concave pocket in the nose. Ended up doing a revolve and then boolean cut. worked ok. Although I had an ellipse shape I liked better but couldn't work out how to get it to make a cut/pocket. The plan was to do a groove, but clearly I don't know how that works as it said I needed to anchor it to a face, but there was not really a face where I wanted to make the hole.... Left the redundant ellipse sketch in there in case someone can offer a suggestion.

Is there a better way to do what I was trying to do
Attachments
mk3gtpopper.fcstd
(521.66 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

As you have done with the sphere you can do with an ellipsoid. Create a sketch with half of an ellipse and continue as before.
Attachments
mk3gtpopper.fcstd
(344.56 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Mongrel_Shark

Post by Mongrel_Shark »

As you have done with the sphere you can do with an ellipsoid. Create a sketch with half of an ellipse and continue as before.
That is exactly what I wanted to do....

Um.... How exactly does one make half an ellipsoid? I couldn’t get it to delete the bits I didn't want...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

In Sketcher you used the magician's hat to create an ellipse. Select the drop down menu at it's right side to select Arc of ellipse. Alternatively you can find it in the Menu: Sketch->Sketcher geometries->Create an arc of ellipse.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Mongrel_Shark

Post by Mongrel_Shark »

OH!!

I completely missed the drop down :roll:

Thank you that helps a lot!