Better selection system for constraints in Sketcher

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD

Moderator: agryson

efyx
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:36 pm

Re: Better selection system for constraints in Sketcher

Postby efyx » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:52 am

jnxd wrote:I just completed implementing my suggestion...
Good you have mentioned constraints, what is missing IMO is quadrant constrain which splits circle to four peak points, there is need of many operations to achieve that. Maybe you could add this if rest will agree? What do you think?
Image[/quote]

Alluding to
Pauvres_honteux wrote: you right click and choose the cmd Distance
it doesn't work well, I mean when you draw a line, then you try to click right button first line is canceled and then the menu doesn't appear immediately but first you need to move a mouse and then menu with constrains is available. Simply words menu doesn't appear when you are over the line. Is that possible to improve that to run it in place, this moving a mouse doesn't speed the work.[/quote]
jnxd
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:30 pm

Re: Better selection system for constraints in Sketcher

Postby jnxd » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:19 pm

efyx wrote: ...what is missing IMO is quadrant constrain which splits circle to four peak points, there is need of many operations to achieve that. Maybe you could add this if rest will agree? What do you think?
Could you elaborate what this constraint will do, probably with an example?
efyx wrote:Alluding to
Pauvres_honteux wrote: you right click and choose the cmd Distance
it doesn't work well, I mean when you draw a line, then you try to click right button first line is canceled and then the menu doesn't appear immediately but first you need to move a mouse and then menu with constrains is available. Simply words menu doesn't appear when you are over the line. Is that possible to improve that to run it in place, this moving a mouse doesn't speed the work.
I too am a little skeptical about a unified constraint making system. The greatest problem comes up when the same selection has multiple possible constraints (e.g. a selected line segment can either be constrained to be vertical or horizontal or its length can be fixed): one has to decide which of the constraints to apply. Whether it be by right click, or by pie menus, or whatever else, the choice has to be made which makes it almost as bad as the present state. My personal feeling is that moving the cursor to the toolbar buttons should not be too much more of an effort as anything else involving a cursor, even if done over and over. More adept users can rote the shortcuts, IMHO. What we can do, however, is to make a tool active only when the constraint can be applied selection that is currently made (or nothing is selected), so that the tool does not complain of wrong selection.

@Pauvres_honteux: I would be interested to know how the French program you mentioned handles the above issue. Could you link me to a Youtube video, perhaps?
efyx
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:36 pm

Re: Better selection system for constraints in Sketcher

Postby efyx » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:23 am

jnxd wrote: Could you elaborate what this constraint will do, probably with an example?
Please take a look on attached picture.
Example 1, shows additional "quadrant" constrains which will allow to create for example shape like this. Of course it can be achive in other way, but more complicated. You need to have tangent constrain then symmetric, if that points (1/4 of circle) will for example automaticly allow to put a line right in 1/4 it would be much faster (I think draft WB have it, even in autocad). What do you think?

Example 2 I think colinear constraint is missing, of course as previous it can be done other way but sometimes is better to not sketch additional lines. Just to click one (white) line, 2nd (white) line and colinear constraint and they are from now always on the same level.

BTW. Example 1 it is annoying that I cannot directly pad this sketch I need to remove part of circle. This is not good IMO, for example I could do a nice part from one sketch basing on two pads from one sketch first PAD - select round part of sketch and extrude symetrically for exampe by 100mm and then click the same sketch ->extrude select T part of sketch and extrude it symetrically by 50mm and I have nice bracket - basing just on one sketch and two extrusions. What do you think?
Attachments
Constraints.png
Constraints.png (32.4 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
cox
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:37 pm

Re: Better selection system for constraints in Sketcher

Postby cox » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:25 am

I like it :-), seams like a clean useful usability improvement.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
chrisb
Posts: 24149
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:14 am

Re: Better selection system for constraints in Sketcher

Postby chrisb » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:36 pm

The quadrant constraint would be nice. The need might have been shown even better with non vertical lines.

The colinear constraint is not that important to me, because I can use the "point on object" constraint. It is not widely known, that this constraint works on the projection of a line as well.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-21 um 17.34.25.png
Bildschirmfoto 2016-12-21 um 17.34.25.png (14.78 KiB) Viewed 1687 times
cox
Posts: 963
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:37 pm

Re: Better selection system for constraints in Sketcher

Postby cox » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:23 am

chrisb wrote:The colinear constraint is not that important to me, because I can use the "point on object" constraint. It is not widely known, that this constraint works on the projection of a line as well.
I think it would increase usability by being easier to discover, as you say not many people use it. I usually use point on line an parallel to achieve the same(your way is better :oops: ) but the sketch gets more cluttered with more constraints and it becomes a bit confusing editing when you come back to the sketch after a while.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
User avatar
NormandC
Posts: 18534
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 pm
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Better selection system for constraints in Sketcher

Postby NormandC » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:06 am

efyx wrote:Example 2 I think colinear constraint is missing
Actually it's already available: just add a tangent constraint between two lines.
FC_Sketcher_Tangent_Colinear_01.png
FC_Sketcher_Tangent_Colinear_01.png (9.6 KiB) Viewed 1651 times
efyx
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:36 pm

Re: Better selection system for constraints in Sketcher

Postby efyx » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:33 am

NormandC wrote: Actually it's already available: just add a tangent constraint between two lines.
Cool, I looked for it for a while. Thanks!
cox wrote:I like it :-), seams like a clean useful usability improvement.
Quadrant constrain, or great extrude solution? :mrgreen:
Jee-Bee
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:32 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Better selection system for constraints in Sketcher

Postby Jee-Bee » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:15 am

NormandC wrote:
efyx wrote:Example 2 I think colinear constraint is missing
Actually it's already available: just add a tangent constraint between two lines.
I know it works this way. but it is very uncommon to use this method comparing to other CAD software packages. For that i think it is better to add a colinear constraint and the use of tangent is just anouther option to archieve the same result.
For less experienced and CAD users the are used to other software it nice to have
efyx
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:36 pm

Re: Better selection system for constraints in Sketcher

Postby efyx » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:20 am

Jee-Bee wrote: For less experienced and CAD users the are used to other software it nice to have
It works fine - just to revise description "tangent / collinear"