Review For BIM Approch

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cnirbhay

Review For BIM Approch

Post by cnirbhay »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.9376 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: bf94b191161b10328f8a2c698a5058bb23a184e7
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.0.0

Hello everyone,

I tried modeling a G+3 building with BIM approach, i.e. with the proper floor, building and site objects. The BIM model includes architectural model as well as the structural model. One can work on any floor as per the user's need.

Now, I've several questions:

1. I want to know is this the right way of BIM modeling in FreeCAD?
2. If no, then kindly tell some better approach than this as I faced several difficulities modeling it with this approach.
3. The doors & windows objects are not shown in the exact manner when merged with floor object, i.e. the parent wall merged and the new wall formed after adding doors, also get visible in floor object. Therefore, doors & windows loose their visibilities.
4. One has to copy or add columns in the successive floor if the height of the storey is unequal.
5. This leads to several redoing operations.

I believe there should be some better and accurate way for BIM modeling in FreeCAD. If someone practice BIM modeling in FreeCAD for professional & commercial purposes, then kindly give some notes or tutorial video for a sample G+2 building with simple structural & architectural components like footings, columns, beams, slabs, walls, doors & windows.

Thank you.
Attachments
G+3_Building.FCStd
(1011.58 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
yorik
Founder

Re: Review For BIM Approch

Post by yorik »

Nice model!

As for your modeling technique, I wouldn't know, there is not really a correct way to do BIM modeling in FreeCAD. It's more a matter of experimenting and finding a way that suits you. But at first sight your approach seems right. I see you used a lot a "component" approach (turn a series of walls/objects into a compound, then duplicate that compound around), that seems right to me too.

A lot of objects are intersecting (columns with walls, etc), I would maybe try to avoid that. You'll get cleaner geometry, and better quantity readings too.

The question about windows and doors I didn't understand?
cnirbhay

Re: Review For BIM Approch

Post by cnirbhay »

yorik wrote:Nice model!

As for your modeling technique, I wouldn't know, there is not really a correct way to do BIM modeling in FreeCAD. It's more a matter of experimenting and finding a way that suits you. But at first sight your approach seems right. I see you used a lot a "component" approach (turn a series of walls/objects into a compound, then duplicate that compound around), that seems right to me too.
Alright, thanks, Sir. :-)
yorik wrote:A lot of objects are intersecting (columns with walls, etc), I would maybe try to avoid that. You'll get cleaner geometry, and better quantity readings too.
Oh yes, I'll take care of that now.
yorik wrote:The question about windows and doors I didn't understand?
Let me explain that. In FreeCAD when we make a window or door, that results in the formation of a new wall & the parent wall gets hidden. Further the door & this parent wall become the components of new wall.
Now, when I add these components into a floor object, I can see the new wall, not the door. What I need is that the door/ windows should be set to visibility in floor objects by default. Even one can do that manually but that doesn't sounds good when one needs to see individual floors & then turning on the visibility of doors & windows.

Thank you.