Simple iconTheme (v0.5)

Need help, or want to share a macro? Post here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pablogil

Simple iconTheme (v0.5)

Post by pablogil »

Hi,

I'm happy to share the second commit of a future full iconTheme replacement for FreeCAD.
Dark and Light themes screenshots and some combinations with other stylesheets:
demo.png
demo.png (222.31 KiB) Viewed 5954 times
It does need @triplus IconThemes module in order to work (for more information on the subject follow this forum thread) and I prevent you it's still in heavy development so, by now, you will only find new icons for Part Design workbench... but more icons will come in near future, of course.

I hope you like it.

DOWNLOAD
GitHub repository: https://github.com/pgilfernandez/FreeCA ... eme_simple
  • v0.5: new workbenches: FEM, Mesh design, Plot, Points, Test framework and Web
  • v0.4: new workbenches: Arch, Image. Added Macro toolbar. Some icons improvements
  • v0.3: new workbench: Drawing
  • v0.2: some icons improved, new workbenches: Draft, Part and Spreadsheet
  • v0.1: Part Design workbench
Last edited by pablogil on Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: Simple iconTheme (v0.1)

Post by PrzemoF »

Looks very clean and professional! Great work!
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I am eager to try it ASAP. But on the other hand i feel that as you have put much design work in it i will likely test it over the weekend. As then i will have more time for a proper first test and i guess a whole new FreeCAD icon experience. ;)

P.S. Just looking at the screenshots looking good!
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Icons.png
Icons.png (39.8 KiB) Viewed 5828 times
The icons i added green dot don't work for me. Some are really nice like cut, undo/redo, refresh... I don't know if i will use pure monochrome version therefore i can always fix that myself as seen on the rectangle icon. Likely just for the tools i use frequently and the rest will stay monochrome. Contrast between active and inactive commands is not all that big and i like a bit of color in the end. There were discussions on the forum about polyline icon and i feel you should go for that. That is to use combination of a line and an arc instead of just lines.

Beyond that looking good and i see i have some work still to do with the IconThemes module. ;)
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

Thank you for your comments,

I will have a look at them when redesigning (in fact, lot of them had been redesigned before releasing) and fine tuning.
It also happend to me that it was a big jump from the regular colored icons to the monochrome ones, but with little time you get used to them and you like them. Anyway, I also found that disabled icons are still too much visible for my taste and this effect is much more present with Simple monochrome theme than with regular colored one. It's a "simple tweak" that I would suggest to apply to regular FreeCAD that, in addition, will help Simple theme to have more contrast between enabled and disabled buttons.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

On the dark theme the contrast for the dark icon scheme looks much better. Therefore i guess focusing on if this could be slightly improved for the light theme could make sense? As if i would be using dark color scheme likely i would be fine with the contrast.

And as for the color. Distinguishing Draft Line to Sketcher Line could be made easier in the future... How about if you would provide monochrome version of light and dark icon theme and additional variant with some color added? That is minimal color added and likely in sync with original command color scheme? I would be very interesting in seeing how would you approach this and what would the result be.

And as for the icons for entering and exiting the sketcher edit mode. Do you think having arrow (up/down) instead of brush/x would make sense? As currently the step from default command icon to new design is big and i don't see much benefit in it.

As for the rest (and what i didn't mention in the previous post) i have been using the icons for a day and they are working good.
pablogil

Re: Simple iconTheme (v0.2)

Post by pablogil »

Updated to v0.2 with new iconsets added.
Check the first post in order to get more info and download links.

Enjoy
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Updated! ;)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

The experience is much more pleasant now as most of the tools i frequently use has icon from the icon pack.

P.S. What happen to tails of undo/redo icons. I liked the extended one more but that is i guess personal preference. ;)
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

triplus wrote:The experience is much more pleasant now as most of the tools i frequently use has icon from the icon pack.
Cool!
triplus wrote:P.S. What happen to tails of undo/redo icons. I liked the extended one more but that is i guess personal preference. ;)
Hahaha, I felt the contrary: with the frequent use I saw them too large... try them that way and let me know in some days ;)