[Solved] Bugtracker needs your help for better bug triage (req: PHP knowledge)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

[Solved] Bugtracker needs your help for better bug triage (req: PHP knowledge)

Post by Kunda1 »

Hey FC community,
I've been spending time cleaning up the bugtracker, apologies for all the mantis emails some of you may be receiving... it's for a good cause! ;)

The reason for this post is to find out if someone can help us enhance MantisBT (as you know, the FC bugtacker) in a way where bug triage is hopefully less repetitive. For example, even though the Bug tracker has a link in its dropdown stated not very subtly: READ THIS BEFORE REPORTING

READ-THIS-BEFORE-REPORTING.png
READ-THIS-BEFORE-REPORTING.png (22.67 KiB) Viewed 3420 times

alas...many many people ignore it! I constantly am encountering tickets where @wmayer @yorik @normandc etc... are requesting from bug reporters to follow the guidelines. Obviously this is inevitable, since you can't fool-proof anything 100% (i know, since I've been the fool many times in my life :oops:)

So i concocted a proposal to enhance the MantisBT software itself in issue #2846. The gist is that when someone opens a bug report they encounter pre-populated placeholder text in each field that they are asked to type in. Once they start typing in said field that placeholder text disappears.

FC-Mantis-Bug-Reporting-Template.png
FC-Mantis-Bug-Reporting-Template.png (91.05 KiB) Viewed 3420 times

One of the issues with this is that making any customizations to the bugtracker would potentially be a headache to integrate in to following upgraded versions. A headache yorik didn't need. So I opened a ticket on MantisBT http://mantisbt.org/bugs/view.php?id=22187 to request the functionality. Of course the gist of the MantisBT dev response was: Feel free to send us a PR (which we may or may not accept).

mantisbt-dev-response.png
mantisbt-dev-response.png (117.25 KiB) Viewed 3420 times

Obviously, not the response I was hoping for. since I'm no PHP-head and it was such a non-commital answer who knows if we do submit a PR that why will accept it?! But it occurred to me nevertheless, that I could tap the FreeCAD community to see if we can make this happen because from what I've seen you guys have overcome some pretty big obstacles. Very inspiring.
  • So if you're still reading and interested here are some details I think would be useful to get started:
  • MantisBT repo on github is https://github.com/mantisbt/mantisbt
  • Talk directly to the MantisBT devs via their gitter (https://gitter.im/mantisbt/mantisbt) which is preferable for them instead of IRC.
  • According to the MantisBT dev

Code: Select all

The way to achieve this [feature] is to have configuration opens that can be set in config_inc.php or the database (per project) that end up in the HTML place holder text, which provides the desired behavior automatically.
    [**] a sample config_inc.php can be seen at: https://github.com/mantisbt/mantisbt/bl ... php.sample
    [**] not sure what he means by 'or the database'
  • We can also try to make a plugin that auto-injects our customized code in to mantis freeing us from either banking that their devs will merge our patch or that we'll need to hand diff our customized code in to each MantisBT update ( :roll: )
So any help would be super appreciated! Thank you!
Last edited by Kunda1 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Re: Bugtracker needs your help for better bug triage (req: PHP knowledge)

Post by triplus »

The main problem with web apps is security. You really want to know what you are doing when tackling with web apps. Therefore achieving a working solution isn't always enough. You need to be sure you don't compromise security on the long run as maintaining custom solution also isn't easy.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

triplus wrote:The main problem with web apps is security. You really want to know what you are doing when tackling with web apps. Therefore achieving a working solution isn't always enough. You need to be sure you don't compromise security on the long run as maintaining custom solution also isn't easy.
Agreed. Hopefully this is a pretty straightforward patch that won't undermine security in any way. The MantisBT may be able to vet it for us as well.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
cox

Post by cox »

Would it be a good idea to ad a "Expected behaviour field"?
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Was playing with the HTML Inspector by adding a placeholder="Some foo text" in <textinput placeholder="">
mantisbt-proof-of-concept.png
mantisbt-proof-of-concept.png (109.24 KiB) Viewed 3366 times
I realize that placeholder doesn't respect newlines. Doing more research i found this stackoverflow link: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7312 ... a-textarea
Last edited by Kunda1 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

In mantisbt source code this would be the place for us to put the php variable: https://github.com/mantisbt/mantisbt/bl ... #L539-L576
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

This seems like something that could also be solved with a few lines of Javascript if there's some way to include custom JS in Mantis.

For example, it looks like jQuery is already available on the page, so if you open up the console you can see the effect of the following:

Code: Select all

$('textarea[name*="steps_to_reproduce"]').attr('placeholder', 'Please produce a step-by-step...')
Also the new Mantis, from looking at the upstream bug, looks great :D should be interesting once that gets set up.

If FreeCAD infrastructure was maintained programmatically, e.g. with Docker, this custom jQuery, once set up, would require no maintenance, it'd just be a copy line in the setup script. devops stuff :twisted:
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

kkremitzki wrote:This seems like something that could also be solved with a few lines of Javascript if there's some way to include custom JS in Mantis.
That might be much easier to turn into a plugin
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

yorik wrote:
kkremitzki wrote:This seems like something that could also be solved with a few lines of Javascript if there's some way to include custom JS in Mantis.
That might be much easier to turn into a plugin
I asked dregad on the mantisbt gitter page for a skeleton plug-in for us to use to implement this as a plug-in and he said to look at:
https://github.com/mantisbt-plugins/jQuery-UI/
Damien Regad @dregad Check the Developer's Guide for a minimalist, sample plugin; you can hook the EVENT_LAYOUT_RESOURCES event in the plugin's register method and do something like register_js( plugin_file( 'custom.js' ) );
Carlos @cproensa
See jqueryui plugin
Its purpose is to include jqueryui js lib
As a compkete
Complete example of your case
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I'm setting up an installation of MantisBT 2.0 for further testing now. I'm assuming the switch will come before too long, and I should target the next version, right?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.