Iconography tutorial

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
agryson

Iconography tutorial

Post by agryson »

Hello all,
I've started writing down my technique for the iconography work.

I still need to add an A - Z example of what to click where in inkscape to do it, but these are the fused guidelines I've been using in all of my work so far.

Any comments or suggestions? When I'm happy with it I was hoping to see about putting it in Artwork Guidelines to flesh that out a bit.
cox

Re: Iconography tutorial

Post by cox »

agryson wrote:I've started writing down my technique for the iconography work.
Love it, especially the "why" sections! creating a base foundation for dialog :D
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

I really, really like all that kind of base line work. It makes it much easier for future developers/artists to do "the right thing" :D
agryson

Post by agryson »

Great, feedback seems positive for now.

I eventually intend on putting it on it's own page in the wiki and then replacing the sections that discuss icons in the Artwork page and the Gui Command page to point to it.

Or would you prefer that it was embedded in one of those pages rather than being separate?
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Even I can produce an icon that isn't complete garbage!
original uneducated attempt
original uneducated attempt
originalcrosshatch.png (2.42 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
as a graduate of agryson Tech
as a graduate of agryson Tech
techdraw-crosshatch.png (4.35 KiB) Viewed 3360 times
Fantastic!
agryson

Post by agryson »

wandererfan wrote:Fantastic!
"agryson Tech" --- love it! :lol:
agryson

Post by agryson »

FYI, I just updated the closing remarks to include general tips and tricks that may be useful.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Looking good.

Just note that design isn't an algorithm and it evolves over time one way or another. Therefore in addition you will likely need to figure out (over time) where the evolving phase should be going on. I will leave that part to you and FreeCAD community and other contributors to push you in the correct direction over time. I was thinking currently there is no program available for contributing single commands to FreeCAD. Some sort of staging area for commands. If something like that will be achieved in the future maybe that place can be used for upstream design playground purposes. And obviously icon packs will hopefully have strong influence on usptream design process and guidelines in the future.

Note that all in all i am happy with the current situation. There is dedicated forum section, there is prolific and critically acclaimed work going on in all the mentioned areas. Looking back i can only remember two things you the new generation of design contributors might want to tackle when searching for new challenges:

Web page:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12264&start=60#p107461

And i said in the past for whoever will deserve it should have a shot at FreeCAD logo. For FreeCAD 0.17 therefore my proposal would be for you @agryson and for @pablogil to try to tackle it together. I see it for @pablogil to do the hammering and for you to to do a paint work. If you are interested ask him if he is interested. You two take the time and figure out the details and i only have one request. Don't make me look bad for proposing this if you two decide to do it.

Beyond that if all that will be achieved likely you the new generation of design contributors will need to figure out where to take the ship next for yourself. It will likely be challenging at times but you'll make it just fine.
agryson

Post by agryson »

triplus wrote:Just note that design isn't an algorithm and it evolves over time one way or another.
Oh, you don't need to tell me that! if it were I'd be out of a job! :lol: It's precisely why I hope to put this on the wiki to be worked on and evolved over time by multiple people as we tackle bigger challenges.
triplus wrote:should have a shot at FreeCAD logo. For FreeCAD 0.17 therefore my proposal would be for you @agryson and for @pablogil to try to tackle it together. I see it for @pablogil to do the hammering and for you to to do a paint work. If you are interested ask him if he is interested. You two take the time and figure out the details
I'd be delighted to! I'll get in touch with @pablogil.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

niiiiiice, I'm almost tempted to try my hand at creating an icon. Trust me, you don't want me to .... :mrgreen: