[Solved] Bug #2323: WB Start recent list of 3 files is (post crash) not sync w/ recent list in File Menu Recent 4 files

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

[Solved] Bug #2323: WB Start recent list of 3 files is (post crash) not sync w/ recent list in File Menu Recent 4 files

Post by Kunda1 »

issue #2323: Workbench Start recent list of 3 files is - after a crash - not sync with recent list in File Menu Recent list of 4 files
I tired to recreate this but didn't understand how to via the instructions. How does one "Check the contents of BaseApp -> Preferences -> RecentFiles" from the "menu Tools -> Edit Parameters"
yorik wrote: Probably the RecentFiles parameters were not written correctly when the crash occured. In case this happens again (to you or anyone else coming here), could you:

- Open FreeCAD
- menu Tools -> Edit Parameters
- Check the contents of BaseApp -> Preferences -> RecentFiles
- Compare with the contents of menu File -> Recent Files
- Compare with the contents of the start page
Last edited by Kunda1 on Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Bug #2323: WB Start recent list of 3 files is (post crash) not sync w/ recent list in File Menu Recent list of 4 fil

Post by chrisb »

Has this to do with the problem that the filelist on the start page is not rewritten after opening a file? If I open a new file, close it and select one from the start page I get the wrong file.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Bug #2323: WB Start recent list of 3 files is (post crash) not sync w/ recent list in File Menu Recent list of 4 fil

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote:Has this to do with the problem that the filelist on the start page is not rewritten after opening a file? If I open a new file, close it and select one from the start page I get the wrong file.
yorik wrote:soft ping
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I cannot reproduce the original problem because it seems to only happen after a crash.
As for chrisb's problem, I also cannot reproduce... Clicking any file in the start page gives the right file here...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I never mentioned it, but I've had this same issue for quite some time, and I don't believe it's always after a crash.

I'll try to pay attention to it when it happens again.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have the phenomenon with all my FreeCADs, e.g.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.9822 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 0df4af4ba5e6edce825af6ecf6d024c704292633
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
  • Let us assume I have file1.fcstd, file2.fcstd, file3.fcstd.
  • I have edited file1 and file2 in reverse order, i.e. file1.fcstd is the first element in the recent filelist, file2.fcstd the second.
  • I close FreeCAD
  • I open FreeCAD and show the start screen, it shows in the recent filelist file1.fcstd and file2.fcstd.
  • I open file3.fcstd
  • In the menu I have now file3.fcstd in the first place. So far everything is correct.
  • If I switch to the start screen, it has not changed, it shows still file1.fcstd and file2.fcstd.
  • If I select file1.fcstd (which is the first entry in the list) it opens file3.fcstd instead.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote:I have the phenomenon with all my FreeCADs
Dos this still persistent on the latest dev ?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 12:35 am Dos this still persistent on the latest dev ?
Yes :(

Version: 0.17.11174 (Git)
Hash: 0e9c1c076e311f2c3903cfa9de87c8c88daa79de
OCC version: 7.1.0
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chrisb wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 12:42 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Wed May 31, 2017 12:35 am Dos this still persistent on the latest dev ?
Yes :(

Version: 0.17.11174 (Git)
Hash: 0e9c1c076e311f2c3903cfa9de87c8c88daa79de
OCC version: 7.1.0
Thanks for retesting. I also meant to ask if the crashes are reproducible ?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

As far as I understand is this issue not describing a crash. It describes the filelists not being in sync after a (some, any?) crash.
I am glad that 0.17 does not crash so often, if it does I hope to remember to have a look at the filelists.
To be honest: If this is the case after a crash I don't really see an issue on it's own, if it gets synced on the second restart. The crash is the problem, and if it is fixed, nothing gets out of sync.
The situation is different, if the filelist stays out of sync, but this has to be confirmed or better: to be disproved.