[SOLVED] Migrating (soon to be deprecated) Drawing WB tickets to TechDraw WB

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Migrating (soon to be deprecated) Drawing WB tickets to TechDraw WB

Post by Kunda1 »

wandererfan wrote: 2283 - Drawing::FeatureViewPart LineWidth should not be scaled
- line widths are not scaled in TD
OP issue #2283 for writes in https://freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=2283#c8179
Thanks for the note about TechDraw.

The question is about the intent. It could be either a specific absolute width, or a width that's intended to be a fraction of the drawn objects. The latter translates to: scaling doesn't affect the visual appearance of the drawing.

I was expecting the latter. In drawing applications, typically when you scale an object, the outline thickness is scaled also, so the result is an object which is a different size but the black / white proportions are unchanged.

One could argue for either. The "preserve appearance" form is what I was hoping for, especially because I draw at 1:1 but I don't have 70 meters of paper to print on. And given that I have to scale by a factor of 50 or so, the resulting printout ends up entirely unusable if the line width is taken as an absolute value.

Would it be possible to have an option to select the desired mode, as is done in applications like Adobe Illustrator?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Found a rogue Drawing ticket in the 'General' category: issue #1910
Add a preference page for the Drawing workbench and allow to select a folder for custom templates
Please advise...
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

Kunda1 wrote:The we perhaps should let sleeping dogs lie and close it discretely...or else we could give some recognition to some of the folks who made major contributions to it happening?
TL;DR - if you want to give recognition, I think it would be best to send MrLukeParry and WandererFan each a beer, and close bugs with minimal fuss.

For a bit of background on this specific module - it's been picked up and put down a couple times. For a long period, we worked on it in a branch as a redone Drawing, in the same directory tree. Rebasing to keep up with the main line of FreeCAD was a lot of tedious work, due largely to file name conflicts. Eventually, the rebasing headaches and the necessity of (what is now called) TechDraw and Drawing coexisting, contributed to the decision to rename it to TechDraw. The git history of TechDraw, as it exists in the FreeCAD master branch, only goes back to that renaming, and I don't think anyone involved particularly cares. -Ian-
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

ian.rees wrote:TL;DR - if you want to give recognition, I think it would be best to send MrLukeParry and WandererFan each a beer, and close bugs with minimal fuss.
If the bar is open, set one up for Ian, too!
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

wandererfan wrote:1880 - Show/hide drawing template structure
- no plans for this. is it useful for something?
I see this was implemented in TechDraw. When i added ISO7200 set the main idea was to provide a template in FreeCAD you can actually use in production environment. As default one didn't do it for me. I added blank set due to the fact you don't always want a template in the result when exporting to SVG. And there was no button to hide the template. You didn't use blank set of templates in TechDraw therefore hiding the template works good instead. This is how i assume the functionality will work.

As for the issue #0000956. I had to produce a huge number of drawings and had to automate the process of creating the views on the page and exporting to SVG. The phase of creating views on the page was taking too long. I don't know if TechDraw offers a way to automate this procedure. Create properly scaled and oriented views in appropriate location by single press on a button as everything else is predefined. That was the main idea behind it. To somehow make that possible.

P.S. The idea of having a special preset drawing template and when inserted FreeCAD would automatically add and scale drawing views to appropriate places was mentioned back then.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

triplus wrote:You didn't use blank set of templates in TechDraw therefore hiding the template works good instead. This is how i assume the functionality will work.
I haven't tried it myself, but I can't think of a reason you couldn't use a blank template in TechDraw. We use the width/height of the template to determine page size, but it doesn't have to have any lines/text. But setting Visibility = false seems easier.
As for the issue #0000956. I had to produce a huge number of drawings and had to automate the process of creating the views on the page and exporting to SVG. The phase of creating views on the page was taking too long. I don't know if TechDraw offers a way to automate this procedure. Create properly scaled and oriented views in appropriate location by single press on a button as everything else is predefined. That was the main idea behind it. To somehow make that possible.
I imagine you'd still need some sort of macro to drive DrawProjectGroup but DPG should handle the scaling/orienting/positioning.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Kunda1 wrote:Found a rogue Drawing ticket in the 'General' category: issue #1910
Add a preference page for the Drawing workbench and allow to select a folder for custom templates
Please advise...
This exists in TD.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

wandererfan wrote:I imagine you'd still need some sort of macro to drive DrawProjectGroup but DPG should handle the scaling/orienting/positioning.
I see there are still use cases for such functionality emerging on the forum occasionally:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20235
ian.rees

Post by ian.rees »

triplus wrote:
wandererfan wrote:I imagine you'd still need some sort of macro to drive DrawProjectGroup but DPG should handle the scaling/orienting/positioning.
I see there are still use cases for such functionality emerging on the forum occasionally:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20235
TechDraw has a preference for first/third angle default, which addresses davecoventry's original question directly.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Could be but lets say you want to create standard technical drawing. After 3 clicks to add the views result is still far from ideal:
SamplePage.png
SamplePage.png (18.6 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
Imagine you would need to create 100 of such drawings. It could prove to be useful if in the future there would be a way (for the user to create some use case tailored macro) to get ideal results with only 1 click. Or by for example inserting a drawing template with drawing view pre-sets set.