I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, and methodists

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
microelly2
Veteran

Re: I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, and methodists

Post by microelly2 »

sliptonic wrote: If somebody is actually going to mill a solid aluminum banana, I'll add it. Otherwise I'm going to work my way up to it :lol:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20402
Image ;)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

sliptonic wrote: If somebody is actually going to mill a solid aluminum banana, I'll add it. Otherwise I'm going to work my way up to it :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi sliptonic,
i have made a rebuild of my magnetic disc with latest FreeCAD and Path generating works fine, also with the hole in the center (which makes the probs earlyer).

Several points i found, where i don't know "is it wanted or is it a mistake".
magsch.jpg
magsch.jpg (204.55 KiB) Viewed 2190 times
Point 1: If create a path with the operations "path by surface" or "path by edges", the Final depth is the same like start depth.

Point 2: I'm still missing possibility to set an plunge angle. Is "Lead in Line" the replacement?
If yes, it doesn't show an effect if i change the value. (if no: whats it fore?)

Point 3: "use compensation" shows false, but tool diameter compensation is in use.

Point 4, only a sugestion: The order of the menue could be a little bit more logical, sugestiv (don't know a better phrase for it).E.G. what is listet in "path" could be a part of the menue "Basis". Secound after "Basis" should be "Tool" and setting "start point" should come before "end point".
But thats only my sugestion, other may have a differnt mind of it... :D :D ;)

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.9839 (Git) (Packman)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: fc2010baa8cfac0e5da5f90a645c8b6169a04d5a
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.9.1.oce-0.18-dev
Attachments
magnetscheibe_34_magnete_3_mpf.fcstd
(168.47 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
Gruß Herbert
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

herbk wrote:
Point 1: If create a path with the operations "path by surface" or "path by edges", the Final depth is the same like start depth.
There's something strange going on here. If I export your shape as a brep and then import it, I can use the imported shape as the base and face profile or edge profile uses the correct depths. This needs some investigation. Please add a bug report.
Point 2: I'm still missing possibility to set an plunge angle. Is "Lead in Line" the replacement?
If yes, it doesn't show an effect if i change the value. (if no: whats it fore?)
I removed the plunge angle setting some time ago because it didn't do anything. No implementation had ever been written for it. We still need an 'entry method' dressup to do helical and ramp entry. Pocketing does have a modified entry method including ramp/helical but only for pockets generated with OCC.

The lead-in, and lead-out may not be working. It too needs some work. This is functionality that came over with the heekscnc code and probably hasn't been touched since. They do not affect Z moves at all. The have to do with establishing a start point outside the actual path and then moving laterally into it.
Point 3: "use compensation" shows false, but tool diameter compensation is in use.
Noted. Please add a bug report for this one too.
Point 4, only a sugestion: The order of the menue could be a little bit more logical, sugestiv (don't know a better phrase for it).E.G. what is listet in "path" could be a part of the menue "Basis". Secound after "Basis" should be "Tool" and setting "start point" should come before "end point".
But thats only my sugestion, other may have a differnt mind of it... :D :D ;)
Not much we can do with this. The groups are automatically alphabetized and the properties are alphabetized within the groups.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi sliptonic,
sliptonic wrote:
herbk wrote:
There's something strange going on here. If I export your shape as a brep and then import it, I can use the imported shape as the base and face profile or edge profile uses the correct depths. This needs some investigation. Please add a bug report.
On a try to help by the investigation i come in mind: don't spemd to much time in this...
I made several test, made some parts like the "magnetic disk" only with different massurements, made a path with "path by surface" after each step...
always the same: i got a path with final depth 0...
magsch_test.png
magsch_test.png (96.73 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
Gruß Herbert
cahlfors

Post by cahlfors »

I am glad I am not an actor faced with having to say that line! :shock: :lol:

Her is a small example that refuses to accept a facing operation:
Markering_008.png
Markering_008.png (63.29 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
I tried following your example in the youtube tutorial, but it does not want to work on this part. Fine on cuboids, though.

Cheers,
/Chris
Attachments
Z.fcstd
(10.7 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
electrical engineer
Ubuntu or Mint
Mendel 3d-printer/OctoPrint
LinuxCNC
Optimum BF20L mill
cahlfors

Post by cahlfors »

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10000 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 216d8c66dcc2ed92546e73b242e2123bda2b038e
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
electrical engineer
Ubuntu or Mint
LinuxCNC
Optimum BF20L mill
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

cahlfors wrote: Her is a small example that refuses to accept a facing operation:
Markering_008.png

I tried following your example in the youtube tutorial, but it does not want to work on this part. Fine on cuboids, though.
Your job wasn't referencing the Pad object. Once I fixed that, I was able to get a facing operation from it.

I had a some strange results though but I'm testing in a branch that I've got all hacked up for other reasons. I'll try again the next time I build master.
cahlfors

Post by cahlfors »

Aha, that explains a thing or two!
I thought that the operations would refer to specific surfaces, not the entire part. Fixing that, I was able to create the facing operation for the top level. There is some "air milling", but it seems to do the job. However, I am unable to mill the lower step without milling away the rest of the part.
Markering_009.png
Markering_009.png (15.9 KiB) Viewed 2076 times
Cheers,
/Chris
electrical engineer
Ubuntu or Mint
LinuxCNC
Optimum BF20L mill
bill

Post by bill »

cahlfors wrote:There is some "air milling", but it seems to do the job.
Additionally; if you turn off bounding box as the boundary shape and switch to perimeter, you can select just the top face sans the air-mill-op. But dont overlook selecting the Pad object in JOB! However, the bottom face has some issues for me. Investigate extending the passes in Mill Facing:Operation tab.
cal.png
cal.png (38.88 KiB) Viewed 2064 times