New experimental feature: Hi-res property in Arch

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

New experimental feature: Hi-res property in Arch

Post by yorik »

From git commit 5625bab170, all Arch objects now have a "Hires" property, which is a PropertyLink, and a "Hires" display mode.
It works like this: you can provide an other shape or mesh (both are supported) as a higher-resolution of an object. When an object has its Hires property set, then the Hires display mode can be used to show the other shape instead of the object's own shape.

This is useful for example in furniture (it was working in Equipment objects for some time already, I simply transferred the functionality to all Arch objects), where you can for example download a very detailed polygon mesh of a chair, but in your 3D document you want it to have a much more simple shape, because it would be unrealistic to turn the mesh into a crazily heavy shape.

Other scenario, for the wikihouse I'm working on, the panels assemblies is becoming very heavy. So it's convenient to have the assemblies have a more simple shape for day-to-day work, let's say, but have their detailed shape ready for use if needed.

The Hires display mode simply takes the coin representation of the hires object, and copies it to the host object. No actual shape operation is done.

So far that is all it does. But it will be easy to extend all other functionality (Techdraw Arch view, etc) to support this, it's just a matter of using a shape instead of another. The Arch OBJ exporter already uses this, if one of the to-be-exported objects is in Hires display mode, the Hires shape will be exported instead of the base one. This also works with Arch clones, if the cloned object has a Hires shape, you can use the Hires display mode on the clone too.

This is of course pretty experimental, my idea is to see how it behaves, and experiment a bit with this idea of working only with the coin nodes, also in preparation for the xref question.

So please try and tell me what you think!
saso
Veteran

Re: New experimental feature: Hi-res property in Arch

Post by saso »

Sounds very promising! But how about renaming it to HiRes (or something else), I needed a few moments before I understood what this is :oops:
Eneen

Post by Eneen »

It's similar to archicad solution, there are 3 detail levels for 3D: none, normal, high
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

yes, Revit also has coarse, medium and high. But it seems to me you usually only want two, not detailed or detailed. In any case, if more are needed, it will be easy to add that later...
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

This file implements it, for who wants to see it in action: https://github.com/uncreatednet/wikilab ... ilab.FCStd
scr.jpg
scr.jpg (553.34 KiB) Viewed 4307 times
Renato Rebelo

Post by Renato Rebelo »

I was thinking that it would be useful to set different visualizations in plan, cuts, elevations and 3D ...
So it was possible to view 3D objects through 2D lighter views ...

greetings,
Renato Rebelo
my native language is not English, please excuse me any incorrectness, I apologize for any inconvenience caused, thank you
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

yorik wrote:yes, Revit also has coarse, medium and high. But it seems to me you usually only want two, not detailed or detailed. In any case, if more are needed, it will be easy to add that later...
Renato Rebelo wrote:I was thinking that it would be useful to set different visualizations in plan, cuts, elevations and 3D ...
So it was possible to view 3D objects through 2D lighter views ...
I am impressed by Yorik's model and solution with the Hi-Res option! (and still exploring the workflow in the file^^)

It will be terrific if other visualizations as suggested could be implemented (or already available?) - I am still exploring / searching how TechDraw / Drawings change line weight e.g. glass windows with many lines would be messy if all other lines shown in the plan like other walls etc. (Many years ago I used AutoCAD!)
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Strangely, I open the files in Fedora / Przemof 0.17.10459 (Git) the drawing sheets show nothing (except the title block).

I run a version in Win 7 (just running the freecad.exe unzipping FreeCAD_0.17.10410_x86_dev_win.7z) and the drawing sheets are fine!

Fedora / Przemof 0.17.10459 (Git)
Screenshot from 2017-03-10 23-09-13.png
Screenshot from 2017-03-10 23-09-13.png (127.27 KiB) Viewed 4225 times
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.10459 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Branch: master
Hash: 09cc39671141f345080204bf901713c7e63b1f64
Python version: 2.7.13
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ah I think I turned off all the views in those sheets... Try turning them back on