[Ubuntu Daily PPA] Transitioning to OCCT7, VTK7...

Having trouble installing or compiling FreeCAD? Get help here.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: [Ubuntu Daily PPA] Transitioning to OCCT7, VTK7...

Post by NormandC »

sgrogan wrote:We also need to set FREECAD_USE_OCC_VARIANT="Official Version" in the rules file
I see you reverted the change in the rules file after the failed build. Why?
sgrogan wrote:we may also need to set the OCC_INCLUDE_DIR
I already set it last night.
sgrogan wrote:We also need to modify the control file, I'm looking at this now
Completely forgot about switching oce build-deps to occt. Guess that's what lack of sleep will produce. :roll:
sgrogan wrote:EDIT2: no joy
Well the problem is here:
sgrogan wrote:/src/Driver/Driver_SMDS_Mesh.cpp"
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lTKIGES
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lTKSTL
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lTKXSBase
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lTKSTEP
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lTKSTEPBase
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lTKSTEPAttr
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lTKXCAF
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lTKXDESTEP
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lTKXDEIGES
Remove the "l", I think it stands for "lib". If you look in the OCCT7 source in /adm/MODULES, those are part of Data Exchange.

Following gdo35's script, those toolkits are provided in the libopencascade-data-exchange-7.1.0 package and its -dev package. In liboce there is no such package, for some reason the Debian maintainers split them between modeling and ocaf.

Looking at the buildlog, I don't know why, the binary data-exchange package was installed, but not the dev package. That must be the reason for the build failure.

But what about netgen-headers? Will it conflict if we leave it there?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

NormandC wrote:Looking at the buildlog, I don't know why, the binary data-exchange package was installed, but not the dev package. That must be the reason for the build failure.
I see you came to the same conclusion 10 minutes before me :D

https://git.launchpad.net/~freecad-main ... d7285cd4d9
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

NormandC wrote:I see you reverted the change in the rules file after the failed build. Why?
Looking at the FreeCAD Cmake https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/blob ... Cade.cmake I thought Cmake wasn't picking up the missing libs because cmake wasn't running find_package if official was set. The switch shouldn't matter if there is not an oce install that fights with occt.
NormandC wrote:Looking at the buildlog, I don't know why, the binary data-exchange package was installed, but not the dev package. That must be the reason for the build failure.
I hope so.
NormandC wrote:But what about netgen-headers? Will it conflict if we leave it there?
It shouldn't conflict but we could remove it temporarily.
"fight the good fight"
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

Sidenote: Thank you guys for doing this.... needed occt7 for doing BooleanFragments in FEM!!!!!! :D :!: And it works now fine without compiling every day.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Unexpectingly I am using FC. So far OCCT7 is working just fine! :)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

abdullah wrote:Unexpectingly I am using FC.
What? You mean after I rushed off rolling OCCT7 on the PPA, you are not working full time on the Sketcher B-spline?

Stop slacking off! :mrgreen:

Talking of slacking off, that's actually what I've been doing in the past couple of days. I still haven't figured out why the opencascade packages failed to build for Ubuntu 14.04 32-Bit. It's blocking the freecad-daily builds for 14.04. :?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

HoWil wrote:Thank you guys for doing this.... needed occt7 for doing BooleanFragments in FEM!!!!!!
You're welcome, I had forgotten about those BooleanFragments tools... Now I'll be able to test them too!
NormandC wrote:I still haven't figured out why the opencascade packages failed to build for Ubuntu 14.04 32-Bit. It's blocking the freecad-daily builds for 14.04.
I believe this is the relevant bit from the buildlog:

Code: Select all

cp: cannot stat ‘debian/tmp/usr/share/opencascade/bin/custom_gcc_64.sh’: No such file or directory
dh_install: cp -a debian/tmp/usr/share/opencascade/bin/custom_gcc_64.sh debian/opencascade-misc//usr/share/opencascade/bin/ returned exit code 1
make: *** [binary] Error 2
dpkg-buildpackage: error: fakeroot debian/rules binary gave error exit status 2
Looking at the contents of the opencascade-misc package that succeeded, there are a few install *.sh scripts (custom, custom_gcc_64, custom_gcc_64_install, draw, env) that are not found in the source tarball. I'm guessing that they are generated during the build process.

Since the file list in my debian files was generated on my 64-Bit system, this custom_gcc_64.sh file is listed in opencascade-misc.install.
Everything goes fine if the package is built on a 64-Bit VM on Launchpad, but not on a 32-Bit VM. Because it mainly contained resource files such as STLs, BREPs etc. I set this package as Architecture: all, which means it should not be architecture-specific (amd64, i386) and it is only built once by Launchpad.

Therefore I'm hypothesizing that its build went fine on 16.04, 16.10 and 17.04 because the amd64 set of packages was finished first and found the file; on 14.04, the i386 set of packages finished first and didn't. Or something like that. :?

So with that in mind, I deleted the *.sh scripts from the opencascade-misc.install file (I really don't see how they can be useful to a package that provides its own means of installation, I checked the liboce packages and none of them include install scripts) and started a build in my own PPA. We'll see how it goes.

https://launchpad.net/~gemnoc/+archive/ ... /+packages

If the build succeeds, we can copy them to the Daily Builds PPA. I bumped the version number to -0ppa2. We don't need to rebuild the other packages as they succeeded.

The i386 build is in the lead (56% VS. 48%), so that will validate or break my theory!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Success! :ugeek:

I copied the packages to the Daily Builds PPA, arm64 is currently building.
blacey

Post by blacey »

NormandC wrote:Success! :ugeek:
Awesome work!
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

NormandC wrote:
abdullah wrote:Unexpectingly I am using FC.
What? You mean after I rushed off rolling OCCT7 on the PPA, you are not working full time on the Sketcher B-spline?

Stop slacking off! :mrgreen:

Talking of slacking off, that's actually what I've been doing in the past couple of days. I still haven't figured out why the opencascade packages failed to build for Ubuntu 14.04 32-Bit. It's blocking the freecad-daily builds for 14.04. :?
It was a neat trick to make you rush :lol:

I will most probably be back to coding in a couple of days ;)