How do I get rid of this bounding box

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mlampert
Veteran

How do I get rid of this bounding box

Post by mlampert »

With the latest update whenever a Job or one of the ops is selected I get a wire frame bounding box. Anybody know how to get rid of that it's quite irritating.

Also the arrows seem to always point CW, regardless of which way the path actually points.
wmayer
Founder

Re: How do I get rid of this bounding box

Post by wmayer »

With the latest update whenever a Job or one of the ops is selected I get a wire frame bounding box. Anybody know how to get rid of that it's quite irritating.
Recently a new selection style has been implemented that shows a bounding box instead of highlighting an object:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/621

For path objects it became the default style:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/638
As far as I can see there is currently no way to set the default selection style for path objects. So, I think it's best to open a feature request.
Also the arrows seem to always point CW, regardless of which way the path actually points.
Not sure, but I guess this is done with this PR:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/625

It's probably best to discuss the issues with realthunder.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

mlampert wrote:With the latest update whenever a Job or one of the ops is selected I get a wire frame bounding box. Anybody know how to get rid of that it's quite irritating.

I can add a selection style of None to disable the ViewProviderPath selection behavior, which was the old behavior. And I can add the default selection style setting to Path preference window. Will that be okay for you?

For the arrow problem, could you please attach a file demonstrate the problem?
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

realthunder wrote:
mlampert wrote:With the latest update whenever a Job or one of the ops is selected I get a wire frame bounding box. Anybody know how to get rid of that it's quite irritating.

I can add a selection style of None to disable the ViewProviderPath selection behavior, which was the old behavior. And I can add the default selection style setting to Path preference window. Will that be okay for you?
Given that the default for all of FC is the old behaviour I think that would be great - and adding a setting to the preferences would be awesome (although I'm wondering if it should be in Path preferences. Given that this is a global feature maybe it should go into "Display" and Path should use whatever is the global preference).
For the arrow problem, could you please attach a file demonstrate the problem?
Attached (with the problem the other way around). The arrow stays on ccw regardless of which Contour actually goes. In fact, the arrow points into the direction when the Dressup was created.

edit: actually attaching the file ...
Attachments
cw-vs-ccw.fcstd
(8.44 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

mlampert wrote:Given that the default for all of FC is the old behaviour I think that would be great - and adding a setting to the preferences would be awesome (although I'm wondering if it should be in Path preferences. Given that this is a global feature maybe it should go into "Display" and Path should use whatever is the global preference)
First of all, before I patched ViewProviderPath, it has no selection support. I think maybe the selection support got disrupted when FC upgraded its inventor selection mechanism. The default selection style for all other objects in FC are still kept the same as before. I only defaults the bounding box style to Path, because if not, then a selection of any individual Path (or the whole Path), will make it green, which obscure the rapid move. That is why I think this setting should go into Path. The setting I will be adding is,

* Shape, like all other objects in FC. Be aware that for Path, this will obscure rapid move.
* Bounding box, like what it is now
* None, disable selection altogether

What do you think?

I'll check the arrow problem soon.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

As stated by mlampert, the new bounding box is a bit annoying. For me it provides no value. There is also a small box that shows up when any tool is selected. Again, I have no idea why that might be useful.

I am puzzled about what issues the new bounding box was supposed to solve. I have never had any problem seeing the rapid paths. They have always shown up very plainly even with the underlying object selected.

I have not changed any colors or shading from the defaults that came with my first installation. Perhaps those preferences create a different viewing issue for some users.

Using Windows 7, various versions of FC.

Gene of FC.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

GeneFC wrote:I am puzzled about what issues the new bounding box was supposed to solve. I have never had any problem seeing the rapid paths. They have always shown up very plainly even with the underlying object selected.
That is because previously a Path object cannot be selected in the 3D view, at least not in Linux I tried. It can in Windows? When I enabled preselect support in Path, which shows GCode and the arrow, it also enabled selection as a side effect. Like all other objects in FC, when an object or its subelement is selected, it becomes green. The same color of Path normal move.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

There are really 2 problems with the bounding box, one is that it behaves differently than anything else in FC. The old behaviour was preferable because it didn't get in the way. Not being able to select something is a deficiency and should get fixed, having a bounding box pop up is confusing and disturbs the look and feel, it feels wrong/weird/.... it should be the same for all, same with colours, icons, ....

The second problem is that the bounding box looks like a path itself. Selection obscuring the fast path I have no problem with, but having some additional paths in my model I can't figure out where they came from is a problem - that's how it looks like.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

mlampert wrote:There are really 2 problems with the bounding box, one is that it behaves differently than anything else in FC. The old behaviour was preferable because it didn't get in the way. Not being able to select something is a deficiency and should get fixed, having a bounding box pop up is confusing and disturbs the look and feel, it feels wrong/weird/.... it should be the same for all, same with colours, icons, ....

The second problem is that the bounding box looks like a path itself. Selection obscuring the fast path I have no problem with, but having some additional paths in my model I can't figure out where they came from is a problem - that's how it looks like.
I understand. So for the Path preference, which style you prefer to be the default? The 'Shape' (enables selection, but may obscure rapid), or 'None' (same as old behavior).
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

realthunder wrote:
GeneFC wrote:I am puzzled about what issues the new bounding box was supposed to solve. I have never had any problem seeing the rapid paths. They have always shown up very plainly even with the underlying object selected.
That is because previously a Path object cannot be selected in the 3D view, at least not in Linux I tried. It can in Windows? When I enabled preselect support in Path, which shows GCode and the arrow, it also enabled selection as a side effect. Like all other objects in FC, when an object or its subelement is selected, it becomes green. The same color of Path normal move.
OK, it must be a Linux vs. Windows thing. The only difference I see when selecting from the 3D view is that the little arrow shows up in the new version (0.17.10647_x64_dev_win). In version 0.17.10276_x64_dev_win from about a month ago the selection is exactly the same, but without the arrow.

In the new version if I select the actual path operation under the Job then I get the bounding box along with the arrow.

Gene