Core FreeCAD icons aligned to guidelines

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
agryson

Core FreeCAD icons aligned to guidelines

Post by agryson »

Well, I think that's all the main icons done...

Old on left, new on right, on light, grey and dark backgrounds at 16, 24, 32 and 64 px.

Now, I haven't done all of the icons here, but I've done all the ones that "needed it" and that I could find in my build. It would be great for any motivated people to test it out on a local build and get back to me on any sizing issues or anything. Not all of them are shown either, I cut out a few that I hadn't touched just to save space, but you should have a good idea of what's changed.
spritesheet_A.png
spritesheet_A.png (943.2 KiB) Viewed 3270 times
spritesheet_B.png
spritesheet_B.png (598.74 KiB) Viewed 3270 times
spritesheet_C.png
spritesheet_C.png (768.76 KiB) Viewed 3270 times
You can check out my branch here.

Feedback welcome.
yorik
Founder

Re: Core FreeCAD icons aligned to guidelines

Post by yorik »

Excellent, as usual! Thanks for the gigantic work!
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Changes for view related artwork will likely have the biggest impact. I'll therefore wait to see how it looks like on a real toolbar. I don't know where it is used (up/down hand) but thickness of the line is a bit off. As for the rest looking good.

P.S. And i see the FreeCAD logo was aligned.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

ViewAsIs.PNG
ViewAsIs.PNG (35.06 KiB) Viewed 3212 times
View > Draw style > As is
It gets worse with 16pt. I also noticed that you switched the slash direction. Was this a design decision? Doesn't make a difference to me, just wondering.
triplus wrote:Changes for view related artwork will likely have the biggest impact. I'll therefore wait to see how it looks like on a real toolbar.
I like it, but indeed there is some change here.

Is this the end of the "alignment phase"? My testing was basically to cycle through the WB's and look for "Which one doesn't belong to the other" Indeed FreeCAD is more "aligned now" WAY more consistent.

EDIT: x64 Win Build FreeCAD-x64-iconbuild.7z
"fight the good fight"
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

sgrogan wrote:I like it, but indeed there is some change here.
Thanks for providing the screenshot.

Yes this is what i was afraid of. As i noticed it before in FEM workbench:
FEM.png
FEM.png (3.02 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
Although view related icons look OK on the above presentation. On a real toolbar noticeable degradation can be observed. In FEM workbench i didn't feel it is all that important for me to mention this observation. As i already did that extensively in the past and believe me when i say i don't really want to do that anymore for a while. ;) But view related set of icons are a different league. Changes should be made in a way to i guess at least squeeze out a bit more sharpness if you want my vote.
agryson

Post by agryson »

yorik wrote:Excellent, as usual! Thanks for the gigantic work!
Thanks!
triplus wrote:I don't know where it is used (up/down hand) but thickness of the line is a bit off.
P.S. And i see the FreeCAD logo was aligned.
Those hands are used in the DAG view but honestly I think the hand is way too busy, after push I was going to have a look at DAG view and see if I couldn't simplify a little, but that's a bit of a side project for now.
sgrogan wrote: View > Draw style > As is
It gets worse with 16pt. I also noticed that you switched the slash direction. Was this a design decision?
Is this the end of the "alignment phase"?
I see, the circle cuts off the form. See below for a version that maintains the cube's form contrast... is that better? (also pushed to my branch). Yes, I switched the slash direction for two reasons.
a) the slash direction is top left to bottom right in other icons elsewhere (FEM, Techdraw)
b) The ISO specifies top left to bottom right
spritesheet.png
spritesheet.png (16.95 KiB) Viewed 3182 times
triplus wrote:Changes should be made in a way to i guess at least squeeze out a bit more sharpness if you want my vote.
With a scaled down svg there are some technical limits to what I can do in that regard, but I'm open to suggestions. Bear in mind though that the FEM icons were originally 24px pngs pilfered from paraview, so a direct comparison is hard to make. As for the current view icons, while I admit that there's room for improvement, I'd (IMO) hardly call it a "degradation".

I'd like us to look at tweaking the teal color-set in general in the coming weeks (I already created a ticket for this on my local way back at the start of this project) - FreeTeal 1 and FreeTeal 2 don't have enough contrast. Great news: now that the icons have all been aligned, we can update the palette across the whole codebase with a recursive awk or a gsub!

Edit:
Here's a screenshot from a build with the updated 'as is' icon.
toolbar.png
toolbar.png (28.06 KiB) Viewed 3179 times
Also, @sgrogan, I missed your question on if this finishes the "align" phase. Yes, this was the last set of icons. I still need to do a vulture pass to clean up a few loose ends, but globally this is it! :D
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

agryson wrote:With a scaled down svg there are some technical limits to what I can do in that regard, but I'm open to suggestions. Bear in mind though that the FEM icons were originally 24px pngs pilfered from paraview, so a direct comparison is hard to make. As for the current view icons, while I admit that there's room for improvement, I'd (IMO) hardly call it a "degradation".
I was thinking about this a bit more. About the whole process from the start to finish. In general i came to a conclusion you did your part of the job properly and therefore just disregard my remark. As i gave you some guidelines at the beginning and you made the best of them. As for the rest. Other users and design authorities. It was up to them to do something or not to do it.
agryson wrote:Also, @sgrogan, I missed your question on if this finishes the "align" phase. Yes, this was the last set of icons.
Congratulations!
agryson

Post by agryson »

Great, well, PR submitted
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

I think that It is better to use a floppy disk for save function.
IMHO the current icon is just a box with an arrow, a floppy disk is a symbol easier to locate and recognize.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

There is also another problem I think: The different view icons (front, top, left, right, etc), are now fully isometric. This makes it hard to know which one is "front" and which one is "right side"...
Screenshot from 2017-04-03 10-24-33.png
Screenshot from 2017-04-03 10-24-33.png (13.4 KiB) Viewed 3053 times
I think we could rotate that cube slightly,so there is one face that is more frontal than the other, what do you think?