Can't use pocket

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chhene

Can't use pocket

Post by chhene »

So I have this part I have been working on, and I have arrived at a problem that I don't understand how to fix. Attached is a copy of the freecad file. The part is a rectangular piece with fins sticking out of it on either side. I wanted to cut off those fins so that they were flush to the rectangular piece like on the opposite side of the piece. So I clicked on one of the rectangular faces to select it, and with the Part Design chosen I then clicked on the "Map a sketch to a face" button. But it doesn't work. Instead a select a face button pops up. It doesn't seem to be recognizing that I want to sketch on the face that I selected. I was planning on sketching on one of the rectangles faces and use the "Create a pocket with a selected sketch" button to cut off the fins. Why isn't this working?
Attachments
Tesla2.FCStd
(276.82 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
renatorivo
Veteran

Re: Can't use pocket

Post by renatorivo »

Do you want this?
tesla.png
tesla.png (8.17 KiB) Viewed 1822 times
tesla2-renato.FCStd
(348.99 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
Renato
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

chhene wrote:So I clicked on one of the rectangular faces to select it, and with the Part Design chosen I then clicked on the "Map a sketch to a face" button. But it doesn't work. Instead a select a face button pops up. It doesn't seem to be recognizing that I want to sketch on the face that I selected. I was planning on sketching on one of the rectangles faces and use the "Create a pocket with a selected sketch" button to cut off the fins. Why isn't this working?
"Map a sketch to a face" maps an existing sketch to a face. You seem to want to "Create a new Sketch". If you have selected a face, that creates a new sketch attached to that face.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Montoya88

Post by Montoya88 »

I'm looking to cut a semi-circle into a pipe I have tried selecting the face of the pipe even the "seam" and I still get this pop-up here's the snapshot.

I'll also include the file as well the sketch titled "half pipe" is the actual part so it is not the sketch use for the cut
Attachments
Rocket Stove.FCStd
(5.06 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (33.41 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

In FreeCAD 0.16 you can attach sketches to planar faces only. You may search the forum for "helper pad" (use the quotes for the search!) to see how to attach it at the end of your pipe. E.g. https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3907
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Montoya88

Post by Montoya88 »

I've found this method by accident, I used the join walled objects option and selected "Cutout for Object"
Attachments
Cutout capture.PNG
Cutout capture.PNG (15.09 KiB) Viewed 1736 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (834 Bytes) Viewed 1736 times