Feature idea: blended fusion

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Feature idea: blended fusion

Post by DeepSOIC »

Hi!
Some may have noticed my evil plan for how to mentor jnxd in his GSoC. For those who didn't, it's here:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p168754
In point 1, I mentioned this feature.
And I think it's a good time to discuss it a bit, regardless if jnxd's proposal is accepted or not.

The idea: for operations that do fusions/cuts, it is possible to find edges where shapes being fused/cut intersect, and add fillets or chamfers there.
bleded-pad.png
bleded-pad.png (461.32 KiB) Viewed 2067 times
This can take a number of forms: as a parameter in PartDesign operations, as a parameter in Part Booleans, or as an independent feature that can be applied to a fresh fusion.

Advantages:
* fillets are added to the places where they are usually wanted, quickly and conveniently.
* likewise, the fillets can be easily adjusted or removed altogether
* these fillets don't suffer lack need toponaming, they are inherently robust.
Disadvantages:
* deliberate violation of fillets-go-last principle, they may cause problems later on the way.
* overloading the incredibly simple UI of Pad/Pocket, and not so simple UI of partdesign revolution/loft/sweep

@jnxd: do you like the idea?
@everyone: Is it useful? UI ideas? Maybe a slightly different approach to achieve the same? better terminology?
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: Feature idea: blended fusion

Post by easyw-fc »

DeepSOIC wrote:Hi!
The idea: for operations that do fusions/cuts, it is possible to find edges where shapes being fused/cut intersect, and add fillets or chamfers there.
bleded-pad.pngThis can take a number of forms: as a parameter in PartDesign operations, as a parameter in Part Booleans, or as an independent feature that can be applied to a fresh fusion.

Advantages:
* fillets are added to the places where they are usually wanted, quickly and conveniently.
* likewise, the fillets can be easily adjusted or removed altogether
* these fillets don't suffer lack need toponaming, they are inherently robust.
Disadvantages:
* deliberate violation of fillets-go-last principle, they may cause problems later on the way.
* overloading the incredibly simple UI of Pad/Pocket, and not so simple UI of partdesign revolution/loft/sweep

@jnxd: do you like the idea?
@everyone: Is it useful? UI ideas? Maybe a slightly different approach to achieve the same? better terminology?
+1 from my side!
very nice idea though!
:D
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

I very much like it and think this is a good addition to the existing tools!
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Wouldn't filleting the indicated edge "undercut" the vertical edge of the hexagon? Or would further blending (variable radius) be done?
"fight the good fight"
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

sgrogan wrote:Wouldn't filleting the indicated edge "undercut" the vertical edge of the hexagon?
I meant to indicate the fillet, not edge :oops:
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Such features i guess are the next logical step (regardless of topology implications).
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

deliberate violation of fillets-go-last principle, they may cause problems later on the way.
That principle is based on the toponaming problem, so I think that there is no problem for adding a fillet in the same operation.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Joyas wrote:That principle is based on the toponaming problem
It's not, it's considered good practice for parametric modelling: apply chamfers and fillets last. It's not a good idea to base sketches on such features, that's true for any parametric CAD software.

Edit: this "resilient modelling strategy" recommends placing chamfers and fillets into a group labelled "quarantine" :D :
http://learnrms.com/27%2DQuarantine%2D09.html
DeepSOIC wrote:@everyone: Is it useful?
To be honest I can't think of a case where it would have been useful to me. I guess that once it's available, I may find a use for it...
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

NormandC wrote:
Joyas wrote:That principle is based on the toponaming problem
It's not, it's considered good practice for parametric modelling: apply chamfers and fillets last. It's not a good idea to base sketches on such features, that's true for any parametric CAD software.

Edit: this "resilient modelling strategy" recommends placing chamfers and fillets into a group labelled "quarantine" :D :
http://learnrms.com/27%2DQuarantine%2D09.html
DeepSOIC wrote:@everyone: Is it useful?
To be honest I can't think of a case where it would have been useful to me. I guess that once it's available, I may find a use for it...
Thanks, I did not know that.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

jnxd wrote:(attention grabber quote)
Hi!
Are you interested in implementing this feature?
I remember in PM you asked for pointers on how to implement it.
Here's one:
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Macro_Section