Ruled surface

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
triplus
Veteran

Ruled surface

Post by triplus »

This is what i get:

Parts are mirrored and ruled surface is applied to the corners. Basically if i understand what is going on then on one side surface should be rotated 180 degrees and i was wondering is there a way to do this manually?
triplus
Veteran

Re: Ruled surface

Post by triplus »

It seems when edges are on the same plane this happens. I did some testing and one solution would be if user could control direction with setting under data or when clicking on revolved surface arrow would occur on both edges and clicking on it would change direction. This i guess would help to solve this kind of situations when default behavior is not what user plans to do.

But i don't know how hard it would be to implement something like that!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

If a planar face is what you want, it can be done easily this way: create a Draft line between the front (or rear) vertices of your solids, then downgrade it twice to get an edge. Then, in Part workbench, go to Part --> Shape Builder menu. Click on "Face from edges", select three edges (one on each solid and the edge you created), and click Create.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I was away and could not answer before. First thank you for your suggestion in the end i actually used "workaround" that does work 95% of the time.

I selected the edge behind the edge i would like to use:

And then i used boolean operation (Cut) to get what i wanted:

But i hope user gets more control in the future because ruled surface is nice feature to have and this is just simple demonstration and i use ruled surfaces in a lot more complex scenarios too!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

normandc wrote:If a planar face is what you want, it can be done easily this way: create a Draft line between the front (or rear) vertices of your solids, then downgrade it twice to get an edge. Then, in Part workbench, go to Part --> Shape Builder menu. Click on "Face from edges", select three edges (one on each solid and the edge you created), and click Create.

Hi Norm

Perhaps a better or more direct route is to simple go to Part WB, select create primitives, select create line? This line, unlike Draft Line, is actually just an edge, and thus does not need to be down graded. Then of course as you said use the shape builder to create a face from three edges.

Jim