Getting rid of double/ overlapping polygons.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MartinM

Getting rid of double/ overlapping polygons.

Post by MartinM »

Hello all,

I've almost completed my design, however do to the amount of fusing two objects together, I have encountered so double vertices/ overlapping poly. I was wondering how I would go about removing them.

Thanks for the help ,everyone.

--MM
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Getting rid of double/ overlapping polygons.

Post by chrisb »

If you are talking about solids (and not sketches) you may want to have a look at the refinement options:
- Open SCAD -> Refine Shape (parametric)
- Part -> Refine Shape (non parametric)
- Preferences->Part Design->automatically refine model ... (non parametric)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:23 pm - Preferences->Part Design->automatically refine model ... (non parametric)
please don't encourage people to use that option. Its dangerous. when opening models in different FreeCAD instances with that setting set differently will likely corrupt your model. Its better that people, in most cases, leave that at its default "do not automatically refine". If you want a "refine" then run one, usually as the last step, from OpenSCAD WB Refine ...or the non linked Part WB Refine, normally the OpenSCAD version is most convenient.

The issue is caused by the topological naming limitation.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

jmaustpc wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:16 pm
chrisb wrote: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:23 pm - Preferences->Part Design->automatically refine model ... (non parametric)
please don't encourage people to use that option.
Thanks for pointing it out. Next time I will be more explicit instead of hiding a warning in the "non parametric".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.