pivy 0.6.2

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: pivy 0.6.2

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:57 pm P.S. Thinking further should daily PPA switch to Python 3 by default? Would having temporary freecad-experimetal PPA for the purpose of Python3/Qt5 migration make sense? As there is PPA available for PySide2 we can reuse. But currently that would only work on Ubuntu 16.04 and maybe on Ubuntu 14.04. And Python3/Qt5 combination doesn't builds successfully ATM. But i guess it would be good if it would and maybe if having build logs on why it fails successful build could happen a bit sooner. And after to investigate if AppImage could be made from such PPA.
I can push a python3 branch to the freecad maintainers packaging repo. I'll make the built package FreeCAD-testing so it can co-exist with existing FreeCAD packages. Then we can use this branch to build FreeCAD-testing on personal PPA's. This is how we got FreeCAD-daily working. On the personal PPA we can add looo's PPA and enable backports for the time being. (swig is a build_depends of FreeCAD too, and we don't want to mix packages). I think it's worth testing in a virtual box to start.
"fight the good fight"
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

triplus wrote:Would having temporary freecad-experimetal PPA for the purpose of Python3/Qt5 migration make sense?
I think this is the better option.
sgrogan wrote:I can push a python3 branch to the freecad maintainers packaging repo.
isn't it possible to use the git repo directly. I think have read about it.
A qt5-python3 package for testing would be very nice to have.

Btw.: there are now packages for python3-pivy available. But adding this ppa at the moment will brake python-pivy, because I made a mistake with the rules file. The trick to build python2 and 3 is to mention 2 packages in the control file.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

looo wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:29 pm seems to be a bit more difficult:
zesty is touchy for FreeCAD too, I'll look.
looo wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:55 pm Btw.: there are now packages for python3-pivy available. But adding this ppa at the moment will brake python-pivy, because I made a mistake with the rules file. The trick to build python2 and 3 is to mention 2 packages in the control file.
Can you explain more, the trusty packages look good. https://launchpad.net/~sppedflyer/+arch ... /+packages
looo wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:55 pm isn't it possible to use the git repo directly. I think have read about it.
A qt5-python3 package for testing would be very nice to have.
The way we build FreeCAD-daily now is we have 3 repo's:
1. a mirror of https://github.com/freecad/freecad
2. a packaging repo that consists of the debian folder (We can't use the one in the FreeCAD sources at the moment)
3. a versioning repo that handles the version.h file to report "About FreeCAD" accurately.

We merge these repos with a recipe and build with Launchpad. We can eventually do this with pivy. Right now we are over our allotted space on the FreeCAD maintiners Launchpad. I am doing some cleaning now, but we will need more space probably anyway. The Launchpad people are very good about this.

@looo, can you post a link to your debian folder clear? If not I can download package and look. I think that long term if the Debian folder is in the root of the pivy git repo we can use it without merging, I'm not positive on this point.
"fight the good fight"
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

sgrogan wrote:zesty is touchy for FreeCAD too, I'll look.
no it's a pivy problem. python2 uses python3 swig generated files... calling python setup.py clean between the installs should work.
the python3 packages are looking good, but python2 packages are empty.

The rule file is now looking like this:

Code: Select all

%:
	dh $@ --with python2,python3 --buildsystem=python_distutils		

override_dh_auto_install:
	python3 setup.py install --force --root=debian/python3-pivy --no-compile -O0 --install-layout=deb
	python3 setup.py clean
	python2 setup.py install --force --root=debian/python-pivy --no-compile -O0 --install-layout=deb
	python3 setup.py clean

override_dh_auto_build:
	echo "don't build, just install"
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

looo wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:13 pm The rule file is now looking like this:
What does the control file look like?
BTW: building Artful will help us catch debian testing problems. During pre-release the Ubuntu series starts with debian testing libs.
The pace of your work is making me dizzy, good job!
"fight the good fight"
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

I am already at revision number 3 ;) Here are the files used for this revision:
https://github.com/looooo/pivy/tree/mas ... ian/debian

Hopefully tomorrow we can test the packages.
If anyone want to try:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sppedflyer/mytestppa1
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install python-pivy
to see if it works with freecad

from pivy import coin
a = coin.SoSeparator()
a += coin.SoCone()
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I will try to test the PPA packages ASAP but likely that will happen over the weekend. I didn't investigate why Python 2 build fails but as said earlier did you try to provide a separate source package (for python-pivy) with only "--with python2" (and other Python 2 relevant lines) rule set?
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

if you look at other python-packages you can see that normally py2 and py3 are combined in one recipe. With the latest builds everything should be ok with python2. But it seems there are some problems with FreeCAD0.16 and Draft.

creating a line results in the following message:

Coin error in SoGroup::removeChild(): tried to remove non-existent child 0x563d208c3670 (Separator)
Coin error in SoGroup::removeChild(): tried to remove non-existent child 0x563d209d0c80 (Sphere)
Coin error in SoGroup::removeChild(): tried to remove non-existent child 0x563d208c3670 (Separator)
Coin error in SoGroup::removeChild(): tried to remove non-existent child 0x563d209d0c80 (Sphere)
this doesn't happen with 0.17.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I see. If others are doing it like that and you managed to figure it out and make it work. That is the best option. I only visually inspected the PPA for now and it looks OK. Will do some real testing over the weekend. One question how did you resolve swig 3 dependency for Trusty?

P.S. Once some testing is done and when it will be decided what will be the strategy. We can use Copy feature to move Pivy builds from your personal PPA. To stable or daily PPA or both. Or maybe if we go after temporary and experimental Py3/Qt5 PPA. To copy it there. Or for now just having the PPA with updated Pivy users can use is a good thing. As Python 3 FreeCAD builds need it and some users i am sure are experimenting with Python 3 FreeCAD builds already.