Alternative GUI for FreeCAD: Overlayed Layout (Devs needed)

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ickby
Veteran

Re: Alternative GUI for FreeCAD

Post by ickby »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:13 am Could you push the rebase to your github repo?
Thats already done. It is not the newest master I rebased to, but should be trival to do it again
Also would you consider bullet pointing what would need to be done to get it working on Qt5?
Hm thats quite a lot and takes time, so I would prever to do this only if someone is willing to work on this.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Alternative GUI for FreeCAD: Overlayed Layout (Devs needed)

Post by Kunda1 »

@ickby, understood. Well hopefully this post gets some attention and captivates someone enough to continue your work ;)
Thanks again!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

agryson wrote:ping
Hey @agryson ltns :)
Would you consider pinning this thread to the UI/UX subdorum?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:47 am
agryson wrote:ping
Hey @agryson ltns :)
Would you consider pinning this thread to the UI/UX subdorum?
ickby wrote:ping
@ickby would you consider pinning this thread to the UI/UX subforum?
regis

Post by regis »

ickby wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:47 pm It actually used qt4 and was based on qml. I stopped working on this as qt5 was needed to do real interfaces in qml, and that was not available back than in FreeCAD.

But the code is horrible, I suck at JavaScript :)
Hey, I loved that layout and always wondered what happened to it. but I'm curious as I don't understand anything about coding yet, but since I have an interest in learning python, and you said that you code this with javascript, my question is, 1. is it possible to code the interface in python? 2. what is the difference between javascript and python, and I though that everything in freecad was coded in python.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

regis wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:03 pm
ickby wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:47 pm It actually used qt4 and was based on qml. I stopped working on this as qt5 was needed to do real interfaces in qml, and that was not available back than in FreeCAD.

Hey, I loved that layout and always wondered what happened to it. but I'm curious as I don't understand anything about coding yet, but since I have an interest in learning python, and you said that you code this with javascript, my question is, 1. is it possible to code the interface in python? 2. what is the difference between javascript and python, and I though that everything in freecad was coded in python.
Here is a good reference to get you started on JS and how it works with Qt: https://qmlbook.github.io/en/ch14/index.html and this chapter talks about QML itself, which you would use to declare the components of the interface: https://qmlbook.github.io/en/ch04/index.html

You can still do UI with Python if you want, I'd say this is better for replacing C++ and .ui (XML) files.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
regis

Post by regis »

kkremitzki wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:55 pm

Here is a good reference to get you started on JS and how it works with Qt: https://qmlbook.github.io/en/ch14/index.html and this chapter talks about QML itself, which you would use to declare the components of the interface: https://qmlbook.github.io/en/ch04/index.html

You can still do UI with Python if you want, I'd say this is better for replacing C++ and .ui (XML) files.
hehe cool, but i still don't understand the difference between language selection, why do you do UI in Javascript if you can do it in python forexample?
and why is python better for replacing C++ etc?
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

regis wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:57 pm
kkremitzki wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:55 pm

hehe cool, but i still don't understand the difference between language selection, why do you do UI in Javascript if you can do it in python forexample?
and why is python better for replacing C++ etc?
The advantage is separation of concerns. QML is a lightweight declarative language (check out the examples and compare it to a .ui file in the source code). You can declare the structure of your UI in a simple, easy-to-read format and then separate your heavyweight application logic (written in C++ or Python). So, comparing to web's HTML+CSS+JS, QML is like HTML+CSS and then C++/Python is like JS (although you could do scripting with JS, inside the QML, if you wanted to.)
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

Just a ping to help finding someone that feels like continuing the work, I love this UI!
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

pablogil wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:56 am Just a ping to help finding someone that feels like continuing the work, I love this UI!
+1 this would be pretty damn amazing