Links between homepage and wiki

Discussions about the wiki documentation of FreeCAD and its translation.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jidoeuf

Links between homepage and wiki

Post by jidoeuf »

Hello,
here a screenshot showing the problem:
FreeCAD _ Le modeleur CAO paramétrique libre.png

and it's the same with others links in the footer, they are not directed to the translated pages.
How to improve that ?
yorik
Founder

Re: Links between homepage and wiki

Post by yorik »

The top items can be translated in homepage.po on crowdin. Not sure why it's not there anymore, on crowdin it's correctly going to the /fr page. I'll check that.

The footer indeed at the moment cannot be translated. But I'm highly in doubt if we should maintain that footer anyway... It seems more like a junkpile to me than something really useful...
jidoeuf

Post by jidoeuf »

yorik wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:55 pm The footer indeed at the moment cannot be translated. But I'm highly in doubt if we should maintain that footer anyway... It seems more like a junkpile to me than something really useful...
So I vote to remove it ! ;)
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

yorik wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:55 pm The footer indeed at the moment cannot be translated. But I'm highly in doubt if we should maintain that footer anyway... It seems more like a junkpile to me than something really useful...
jidoeuf wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:44 pm So I vote to remove it ! ;)
Seconded. It's already not in use on the bug tracker. If you go to the wiki, homepage, or forum, and hit Ctrl+Shift+C or right-click "Inspect element", you can easily delete the HTML element and see what the page looks like without it. In my verdict, it looks cleaner. It also would fix several issues on pages in the wiki, at https://freecadweb.org/api, etc., etc.

IMO it'd be better to just focus on a good header and get rid of the footer now.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
jidoeuf

Post by jidoeuf »

kkremitzki wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:07 pm it'd be better to just focus on a good header and get rid of the footer now.
Yes, I think it's the right way.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

I think one thing the footer has been good for is donations. People know they can donate and where to. Also social the social media links.

So if we can find an creative way to show people how to donate once the footer is removed would get a thumbs up from me
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Okay I now removed the footer from the wiki and forum. It is still (provisorily) on the homepage.
I think we could add a kind of menu to the header, to easily navigate between the different parts of the freecad web universe. I'd like to remove the small "bug" and "wiki" icons which are not really nice nor meaningful.

Maybe the first item next to the title ("forum index") could become a menu to navigate between wiki, form and tracker, what do you think?

About the donate link, not sure... I'd also like to keep the github link around, and also maybe facebook and google+...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Related topic: anyone think adding buttons from
https://buttons.github.io/
would be a good idea? We could show how many times FC has been starred/forked/watched ...
Is there s privacy concern if we add the one .js tagfile to the webpage?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
drei

Post by drei »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:03 am anyone think adding buttons from
https://buttons.github.io/
would be a good idea? We could show how many times FC has been starred/forked/watched ...
Yes, please.
yorik wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:53 pm Maybe the first item next to the title ("forum index") could become a menu to navigate between wiki, form and tracker, what do you think?
That could be a good solution.
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
ulrich1a
Veteran

Post by ulrich1a »

The footer should stay for legal reasons, or we need to find a solution for the problem. There is a law at least in Germany, which says, it should be published with every publication, who is responsible for the content of publication. This is the "Impressum" in every German newspaper or magazine. This information should include address and contact data like email or telephone number. We need to find someone or an organisation, who takes this role for the FreeCAD-webpage.
The wikipedia can be used as example, how this information can be provided. The German version has a footer different to other language versions and contains the item "Impressum", which contains all the legally required data: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Impressum

As the FreeCAD-webpage is actually based in Germany, we should obey this law, in order to avoid any legal implications.

Ulrich