Dev logs of Rebar Addon for FreeCAD - GSoC project

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Dev logs of Rebar Addon for FreeCAD - GSoC project

Post by yorik »

Very good, just tested right now, this is a very good use of a non-planar rebar path. It works very well, good job!

A couple of small improvements I'd like to suggest (not critical nor urgent):

1) Add the diagram that appears inside the task panel to the warning message that pops out when you try to run one of the tools without selecting a face first. That will help the user to choose the right face before launching the tool. Maybe you won't be able to use the default QMessageBox for that, and you'll need to create a custom dialog.

2) Allow the user to change the selected face once the task dialog is running (for ex. in case he picked the wrong one, or, later on, if things need to be fixed later on, which can always happen while TopoNaming is untrustable). I believe you would simply need to add a "pick selected face" button.

What comes next in your plan? I guess now you'll attack stirrup distribution?
chakkree

Post by chakkree »

amrit3701 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:19 pm @all
Please try to test my code and give comments.
Test create stirrup.
When select spacing, rebar does not create a copy of the stirrup. the spacing value in Rebar object is 0.000

Stirrup_spacing.png
Stirrup_spacing.png (525.32 KiB) Viewed 2133 times

------------------
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.11472 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a32972ef2f62eaffe550cccc9d1a9ac7d000b4dd
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

yorik wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:22 pm Very good, just tested right now, this is a very good use of a non-planar rebar path. It works very well, good job!

A couple of small improvements I'd like to suggest (not critical nor urgent):

1) Add the diagram that appears inside the task panel to the warning message that pops out when you try to run one of the tools without selecting a face first. That will help the user to choose the right face before launching the tool. Maybe you won't be able to use the default QMessageBox for that, and you'll need to create a custom dialog.
Okay.
yorik wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:22 pm 2) Allow the user to change the selected face once the task dialog is running (for ex. in case he picked the wrong one, or, later on, if things need to be fixed later on, which can always happen while TopoNaming is untrustable). I believe you would simply need to add a "pick selected face" button.
I will complete implement "pick selected face" button in this week.
yorik wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:22 pm What comes next in your plan? I guess now you'll attack stirrup distribution?
I think before attacking on rebar distribution we should first define how user will give input for rebar distribution. I have an idea regarding rebar rdistribution, we will add a new property to the Rebar object that will take input in a specific format like 5@100+2@200+5@100 (which means we have 12 rebars and spacing between first five rebars are 100, spacing from 6-7 rebars are 200 and spacing between 8-12 rebars are 100). Give your views on that?

Regards,
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

amrit3701 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:41 pmGive your views on that?
I think you need to separate the question in two: 1) How to store that custom spacing information in the object, and 2) How to make it nicely editable by the user.

I think your proposal responds okay to 1). You can simply store that in a PropertyString. But for the users, this would be a pity, after you gave them nice dialogs, that they need to learn some syntax :)

I would suggest to add an "edit spacing" button, that would open an external dialog. In that dialog you could invent a system, for example a list widget that would display stirrup groups. The user would be able to add, delete and edit those groups. Check the Arch Structure -> Concrete presets -> Pillar, I added a system to add dents, you could do something like that. Arch Axis also has such an editable list, made in a different way (you can edit the values directly in the list)

But that doesn't need to happen inside the task panel, you could do that in a separate dialog too.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

yorik wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:14 pm Okay now Amritpal's module is available from the FreeCAD addons repo (it's called "Reinforcement").
great. If a Part --> Box is used as a Base object for the Arch Struct the rebars should be in I get an error message saying

Cannot identified shape or from which base object sturctural element is derived
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

yorik wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:14 pm Okay now Amritpal's module is available from the FreeCAD addons repo (it's called "Reinforcement").
another one came in minde. Some times I used a wrong input and on pressing ok there was an error message. But than one has to do all again. An apply button would be cool. If some input is wrong, one changes just these input and presses apply again and do not loose all input.

Ahh I like the thing that the rebars do not get destroyed if the base object changes. They even can stay alone without any base object. That is really important!

Another one. Attached a file and a screen. Something went wrong. May be the reason is between the monitor and the chair ...

great work so far. I hopefully can give more input from now.

u-rebar.fcstd
(19.39 KiB) Downloaded 76 times

screen.jpg
screen.jpg (44.44 KiB) Viewed 2086 times
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

amrit3701 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:19 pm I have created stirrup(non-planar) with my script(https://github.com/amrit3701/FreeCAD-Re ... Stirrup.py). Here are the
@all
Please try to test my code and give comments.
How does it works? It neither works as a macro nor as by just copying into console?
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

amrit3701 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:41 pm we will add a new property to the Rebar object that will take input in a specific format like 5@100+2@200+5@100 (which means we have 12 rebars and spacing between first five rebars are 100, spacing from 6-7 rebars are 200 and spacing between 8-12 rebars are 100). Give your views on that?
This is just the way you would like to save the rebar distribution inside a string property, am I right ?
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

bernd wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:44 pm How does it works? It neither works as a macro nor as by just copying into console?
Hi @bernd,

Here are the installation steps:
1. Open the FreeCAD Addon Manager (Tool -> Addon manager).
2. When an addon manager will open, select "Reinforcement" from a list of workbenches shown by an addon manager.
3. After selecting, click on "Install/Update" button.
4. Restart FreeCAD.
5. Now you will see a stirrup in a drop-down list of rebar tools. (Arch -> Rebar tools -> Stirrup)

Regards,
Amritpal Singh
amrit3701

Post by amrit3701 »

bernd wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:19 pm great. If a Part --> Box is used as a Base object for the Arch Struct the rebars should be in I get an error message saying
Good test, now I will add support to my addon when structural element is derived from Part object.

Can you list all a base objects from where structural element is derived?

Regards,
Amritpal Singh