Path.Area: Welcome, to the new era!

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
realthunder
Veteran

Re: Path.Area: Welcome, to the new era!

Post by realthunder »

sliptonic wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:36 pm In the first case, since verbose is true, shouldn't the move to start include the Z param?
Because it can't assume the initial resting position, so in order to perform a vertical/horizontal move, the first one or two moves cannot be verbose.
sliptonic wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:36 pm In the second case, when retraction is not specified, the move to start is to start.x, start.y, zero.
That doesn't look right. Can you please show me your code of using Area?
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

realthunder wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:38 am
sliptonic wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:36 pm In the first case, since verbose is true, shouldn't the move to start include the Z param?
Because it can't assume the initial resting position, so in order to perform a vertical/horizontal move, the first one or two moves cannot be verbose.
The first move to the retraction height can't be verbose, I agree. But I think all the moves after that can be verbose. It doesn't matter because the path looks perfectly valid to me. I only ask out of curiosity.
sliptonic wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:36 pm In the second case, when retraction is not specified, the move to start is to start.x, start.y, zero.
That doesn't look right. Can you please show me your code of using Area?
I'm running this script against the attached test file.

Code: Select all

import Path
ss = FreeCAD.ActiveDocument.FeatureArea.getArea().getShape()
shapelist = [ss]
params = {'shapes': shapelist,
          'feedrate': 50.0,
          'feedrate_v': 50.0,
          'verbose': True}

#params['resume_height'] = 1.0
#params['retraction'] = 15

st = Path.fromShapes(start=FreeCAD.Vector(50,20,10), **params)
print(st.Commands)
Path.show(st)
Attachments
areastartpointbug.fcstd
(7.04 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

Fixed. Previously, fromShapes() would not generate auto retraction when user specifies the 'start' point. Now, the retraction will be set to start.Z + auto detected step down (which is also used for resume_height). Please check.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

realthunder wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:32 am Fixed. Previously, fromShapes() would not generate auto retraction when user specifies the 'start' point. Now, the retraction will be set to start.Z + auto detected step down (which is also used for resume_height). Please check.
If retraction isn't specified and you're guessing it, I don't think start.z is the best guess. Shape.boundbox.zmax is safer.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

sliptonic wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:10 pm If retraction isn't specified and you're guessing it, I don't think start.z is the best guess. Shape.boundbox.zmax is safer.
What fromShapes sees are only path wires, not the actual milled shape. If 'start' is not give, then it is derived from the path bound, which is why the actual guessed retraction is bound.ZMax + resume_height. But if 'start' is given, and it has now been changed to mean 'feed start', why isn't it a better guess, that is, start.Z+resume_height?
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

realthunder wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:05 pm why isn't it a better guess, that is, start.Z+resume_height?
My bad. I just mis-read your reply. You are correct.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

sliptonic wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:37 pm
realthunder wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:05 pm why isn't it a better guess, that is, start.Z+resume_height?
My bad. I just mis-read your reply. You are correct.
It's all looking good from my perspective. Please merge your latest PathArea when you can.
bill

Post by bill »

sliptonic wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:48 pm It's all looking good from my perspective. Please merge your latest PathArea when you can.
sliptonic wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:48 pm But I also strongly agree with the idea of releasing early and releasing often. (The following Time and Date Not Valid ------>> )
When will this and recent development(s) be released via your pending commits? Are they burning a hole in your pocket? They are in mine!

Just wondering; (Path:Pre-Master.17) DejaVuNess
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

The start point fixes have already been merged.

PR 865 has a number of new features and bug fixes and is pending.
Konstantin

Post by Konstantin »

sliptonic wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:08 pm The start point fixes have already been merged.

PR 865 has a number of new features and bug fixes and is pending.
After your changes I am not able to use Path profiling tools, when Russian (and maybe others) language is used. (for experimenting it's ok, but it can scare people :))