Status of pre-release binaries?

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
darryln

Status of pre-release binaries?

Post by darryln »

Background: Hi, I'm a noob to FC, tried to build master@HEAD on the mac, but found the wiki CompileOnMac page was badly out of date. So NormandC granted edit privs and I gave it a serious whack. It's better now.

The reason for this post is because there was existing language on the wiki CompileOnMac page about "you can just download a nightly binary from the release page" at https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases. However, there haven't been any new binaries posted since 0.17_pre which was 7 months and >4800 commits ago. WT actual F?

Please don't mistake my incredulity for a bad attitude, I'm just sincerely wondering what is going on with this.

Making regular binaries available (nightly or weekly), would cause more people to download and test, and find more bugs, right?

Sort of along the same lines, shouldn't nightly binaries be built from an integration branch that tracks behind master?
ickby
Veteran

Re: Status of pre-release binaries?

Post by ickby »

The date is just when the tag 0.17_pre was created. The binaries are regualary upated and do track master branch.
darryln

Post by darryln »

Thanks for clarifying, and I see now that the hash in the filename matches latest commit in master. I saw the 0.17_pre tag in the filename and jumped to the entirely wrong conclusion, my bad.

I would like to learn more about the CI process. I searched the forum for "travis" but need some structural background to follow discussions. I'll study .travis.yml, meanwhile is there a wiki page or readme? [EDIT: never mind, found it at https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Continuous_Integration.]

More or less unrelated...I forked and built on travis-ci.org, it was dirt simple.
[EDIT:
Sadly, all the travis-ci.org jobs were rudely terminated at 83%...for taking too long.

Code: Select all

[ 83%] Building CXX object src/Mod/TechDraw/App/CMakeFiles/TechDraw.dir/DrawSVGTemplate.cpp.o
The job exceeded the maximum time limit for jobs, and has been terminated.
]
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

darryln wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:29 am Sadly, all the travis-ci.org jobs were rudely terminated at 83%...for taking too long.
FreeCAD had to get special permission to extend its build time because it is a large project and takes to long to compile to fit within the standard maximum time that Travis allows. They very generously gave us extra time.