A need to have an open dialogue with upstream OCC team

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan
Veteran

Re: A need to have an open dialogue with upstream OCC team

Post by sgrogan »

keithsloan52 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:10 pm Yes I was right there was a workbench called Sandbox that was supposed to help.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... cc+shoogen
Nice link. For daily builds we are using OCCT directly now so the package is

Code: Select all

opencascade-draw 
"fight the good fight"
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Maybe we should advertise for a volunteer position in FreeCAD's job offers sub-forum ;)
"fight the good fight"
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

sgrogan wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:56 pm Maybe we should advertise for a volunteer position in FreeCAD's job offers sub-forum ;)
Even if you're not 100% serious I don't think that is a bad idea at all!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:16 pm Even if you're not 100% serious I don't think that is a bad idea at all!
Actually, I am 100% serious. Such a person(s) would be extremely valuable to the FreeCAD project. There are decisions that need to be made regarding the CLA as @tanderson69 has pointed out. The task is not trivial as @ickby has pointed out. Doing this would require a substantial commitment.
"Wanted:FreeCAD/OCCT liaison"
"fight the good fight"
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I've already signed the CLA and have access to upstream, but I can't really commit to much this summer; otherwise, I'm interested.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Quaoar

Post by Quaoar »

tanderson69 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:00 pmOcct then decides this algorithm will add value to one of their proprietary addons. Now they are selling your code for their financial bottom line. Probably will never apply to me, but I don't know what the future holds and I don't want help set precedence.... so no thanks.
Don't worry, this will never happen. We sell only those components which we develop from scratch. Also, it is not easy to contribute something sellable, trust me J
FOSS CAD model inspection utility and prototyping framework: http://analysissitus.org
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This is a very complicated area. Even if they woud make money with it, it might be seen as some return for giving the kernel for free. So it could be seen as a win-win as well.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

tanderson69 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:59 pm How many other open source projects exist that require a license agreement to get access to a bug tracker and a repository. I don't know of any, but I haven't researched it either.
It annoys me that they expect you to sign this stupid agreement but it really, really annoys me that they expect you to sign it JUST to download a copy of the code via GIT. Upload is a different thing obviously, but it seems to me to be obnoxious for an apparently open source project to not allow an anonymous Git Pull.
Quaoar wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:45 pm
tanderson69 wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:00 pmOcct then decides this algorithm will add value to one of their proprietary addons. Now they are selling your code for their financial bottom line. Probably will never apply to me, but I don't know what the future holds and I don't want help set precedence.... so no thanks.
Don't worry, this will never happen. We sell only those components which we develop from scratch. Also, it is not easy to contribute something sellable, trust me J
There is nothing stopping them from doing so though. If its not going to happen then why put such a stupid onerous clause in the agreement/license etc. in the first place?
Quaoar

Post by Quaoar »

Probably, I misunderstand the point. On a dev web-site it is written that:
{CLA} confirms that the contributor retains ownership of his contributions (the OPEN CASCADE company does not require exclusive copyright transfer for these contributions) and gives all rights to OPEN CASCADE to use the contribution. In turn, OPEN CASCADE guarantees the open source availability of all integrated contributions.
Commercial components of OPEN CASCADE are closed-source. Therefore, it cannot happen that your contribution will be moved to a commercial repo.
FOSS CAD model inspection utility and prototyping framework: http://analysissitus.org