Boolean-Fragments as Boolean operation in PDN

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
HoWil
Veteran

Boolean-Fragments as Boolean operation in PDN

Post by HoWil »

Hi,
is there any technical reason why Boolean-Fragments is not available in 'Boolean operation' in PDN?
If not, then I will create a feature request in Mantis.
BR,
HoWil
ickby
Veteran

Re: Boolean-Fragments as Boolean operation in PDN

Post by ickby »

I'm not very familiar with that tool, but doesn't it always produce mutliple solids in a compound? If so the created geometry would be invalid in PartDesign. We would need to skip some of the solids, and this would than be the same result as the current available booleans.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

To be honest i do expect questions like this emerging often after FreeCAD 0.17 will be released. Please add "my favorite FreeCAD command" to the PD workflow.

P.S. Sooner or latter this will be tackled in some sensible way (but highly likely not for FreeCAD 0.17).
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

triplus wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:43 am To be honest i do expect questions like this emerging often after FreeCAD 0.17 will be released. Please add "my favorite FreeCAD command" to the PD workflow.
And the reverse of that, which happens to me. "Please make my_favouite_feature be usable outside of PartDesign".
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

ickby wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:15 am I'm not very familiar with that tool, but doesn't it always produce mutliple solids in a compound? If so the created geometry would be invalid in PartDesign. We would need to skip some of the solids, and this would than be the same result as the current available booleans.
Thx :!:
triplus wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:43 am To be honest i do expect questions like this emerging often after FreeCAD 0.17 will be released. Please add "my favorite FreeCAD command" to the PD workflow.
I see your point ;) . Nevertheless, I will stick to my mixed PDN-Part-wb workflow since it is not possible to use this functionality in PDN .
BR,
HoWil
HoWil
Veteran

Post by HoWil »

ickby wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:15 am If so the created geometry would be invalid in PartDesign.
Interesting.... but than why can I add an BooleanFragment from Part-Wb to a PDN-Body?
Screenshot from 2017-07-31 21-42-01.png
Screenshot from 2017-07-31 21-42-01.png (109.53 KiB) Viewed 2596 times
BR,
HoWil
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.11670 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 7b066fe33488ddc389c4545e93647a8e59e69a2b
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
Attachments
FC_PDN_BooleanFragments_in_a_Body.fcstd
(17.67 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

P.S. Sooner or latter this will be tackled in some sensible way (but highly likely not for FreeCAD 0.17).
I can imagine that when using multiple bodies it could be possible in some way...
example:
if you start with the two bodies of HoWil. That when using boolean fragments the result are the tree bodies that normal are the output of the Part workbench. Only you have automatically add tree body and add the results in each...
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Interesting.... but than why can I add an BooleanFragment from Part-Wb to a PDN-Body?
You cant, as said it is not a valid operation in PartDesign. And you found the solution: just use it on the bodies. this is what you actually want.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

DeepSOIC wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:05 pm And the reverse of that, which happens to me. "Please make my_favouite_feature be usable outside of PartDesign".
HoWil wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:26 pm Nevertheless, I will stick to my mixed PDN-Part-wb workflow since it is not possible to use this functionality in PDN .
Jee-Bee wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:50 pm I can imagine that when using multiple bodies it could be possible in some way...
I guess a little patience goes a long way. And the truth is we will likely need some of that. And therefore we will first give FreeCAD 0.17 a fighting chance and just figure out the rest along the way. ;)
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Hello!

I know this thread is older, but i think Boolean Fragments are useful in the PartDesign Workbench. For examples for threads. When you make CompSolids, the are good to visualize in sections (in 3D and 2D).

Here a example in 2D:
test.png
test.png (96.2 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
And here in 3D
KMT.png
KMT.png (61.39 KiB) Viewed 1957 times
At the moment i make this with PartDesign Workbench, Clones (from PartDesign) and make a CompSolid in the Part Workbench. But everytime i want to change something little in the Bodys in Part Design Workbench, FreeCAD asks me everytime if i want it to migrate something in the PartDesign (which already is).

Just a thought from me .....

Sorry for bad english
Greetings
user1234
Attachments
GroovedNut_M45x1.5x22_KMT9.fcstd
(872.17 KiB) Downloaded 58 times