CalculiX results 'frd' to Paraview 'vtk' converter

About the development of the FEM module/workbench.

Moderator: bernd

bernd
Veteran

Re: CalculiX results 'frd' to Paraview 'vtk' converter

Post by bernd »

saso wrote:Funny thing, I was just today thinking (wondering) how the reinforced concrete FEM calculations work (the logic/methods behind it) :)
It highly depends what you are after ...

first:
If you are in an structural engineering office designing reinforced concrete structures every day. A face mesh of the whole concrete building is taken and calculated by FEM. No reinforcement and no cracks are considered in the FEM analysis. The reinforment is calculated afterwards with the results of the FEM analysis.

second:
If you are at university and like to calculate what you have (or would like to) test or really destroy in an fracture test. Mostly simple geometry like a loaded beam. You would make a solid mesh off the beam including the reinforcement. Contact between reinforcement and concrete as well as cracks in concret should be considered in the analysis.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Thanks for the explanation, I have looked at a few papers online on this topic, but since they were all quite long I only quickly looked over them, so your explanation helped me to understand better the different cases. If I may ask you a bit more on the topic... :)

1. do you then add the reinforcement more ore less manually, so to say from you experience and knowledge (ex at areas with stress X shown in the FEM calculation we add rebar X) or is this also calculated and applied for most standard cases more or less automatically so that all the results are then only manually reviewed and maybe only very special / complex cases are done manually?

2. are some of the open solvers we have (or will be able to have) in FC able to do such calculations (where contacts and cracks are included)?
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

saso wrote:1. do you then add the reinforcement more ore less manually, so to say from you experience and knowledge (ex at areas with stress X shown in the FEM calculation we add rebar X) or is this also calculated and applied for most standard cases more or less automatically so that all the results are then only manually reviewed and maybe only very special / complex cases are done manually?
The software we use, uses shell elements. It calculates slab moments mx and my and mxy. These moments are used by the software to calculate the reinforcement moments. The shell section geometry and the reinforcement material values together with the reinforcement moments will result in the needed reinforcement. I print these on paper and use a pen to paint the reinforcement. The draftsmen makes a geometrical 3D model and derives the drawing and material bills from this model.
saso wrote:2. are some of the open solvers we have (or will be able to have) in FC able to do such calculations (where contacts and cracks are included)?
There have been people on CalculiX mailing list which have done such calculations with CalculiX. You need a yahoo account to have access to the archive.

example print of mx, my, mxy and asx+, asy+, asx-, asy- for first method:
slab-analysis-reinforcement.pdf.txt
(104.31 KiB) Downloaded 213 times
remove .txt
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Thanks again for the explanation and sample! I do quite often get such calculations from structural engineers, also understand some of it :roll: but was wondering about some more details how they are produced.
Serchu

Post by Serchu »

Hi, somebody has tried this converter? With my frd when they are converted there are some variables (individual displacements, V. Misses, Max/Min Principal stress) that doesn't appear on Paraview.

captura_005.png
captura_005.png (195.85 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
Regards, and thanks in advance.

*Edited:I found the individual displacements :D :D :D :D but not the stresses
kimrj

Post by kimrj »

mamah wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:30 am Hello!

Please find the link to Google disc to the packed Monodevelop project:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9ZH5M ... sp=sharing

I've tried to translate the comments in source to english. I hope it's all done and will be readable and well understood by others. In any doubts please contact. It's a long time when I worked on it so I don't remember all the clues but will try to help. The main idea which involved development of this piece of software was to use the Calculix for reinforced structures design. Is anyone also interested in that? Or in using FreeCAD for any other structural design i.e. steel structures? It would be nice to share our thinks and expectations. I see that FreeCAD, as it is, is really powerful and do poses the abilities to make some add-on to achieve great results in professional work.

Regards,

Maciek
The attached file contains improvements to Maciek's code that are at least useful to me:
  • A regular bug in line 176 of Eksporty.cs has been corrected.
  • The floating point time value of a solution item has been incorporated in its VTK name.
  • The main stresses S1, S2 and S3 are now three different scalar items instead of one vector item.
  • If a .frd solution item does not address all nodes, it will still be displayed properly (relevant for contact solution items).
I hope that these corrections are seen as valuable and in no conflict with other code modifications that I am not aware of.

Regards,
Kim Ravn-Jensen
Attachments
mmh_ccxfrd2vtk_source_monodevelop_addendum.zip
(7.82 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
UR_
Veteran

Post by UR_ »

Really, really cool!!

I added just a batch file for win users who won't install visual studio express but needs a fresh build.
Please take a look in editor before running ;)

Screenshot is from Paraview with FreeCAD's 3D-Example from start page.
ParaviewNodeProperty.png
ParaviewNodeProperty.png (115.65 KiB) Viewed 5237 times

ccxfrd2vtk.zip
(58.44 KiB) Downloaded 320 times
mamah

Post by mamah »

Hello Everybody!

Nice to see that this particular piece of software is somehow useful for somebody and still utilized and even tuned/developed. It really makes me happy. At the moment I think that “Kimr” posses better knowledge about the code than me. I’m not sure if in present I’m able to provide any help but I’m going to work on this. Anyway I wish You all the bests with utilizing end developing free (in every meaning) software.

Best Regards
Maciek
mamah@wp.pl
JV_3D

Post by JV_3D »

Hello everyone

How can I use this utility?, in Windows it only opens a command windows with press Enter at the end, but no conversion. The other zip-file in the thread have many .cs files I don't know how to use.
Any recommendation? I am trying to export the Von Mises results and the user @UR_ recommended me this utility: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=23960

Thank you so much in advance
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

mamah wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:15 pm Nice to see that this particular piece of software is somehow useful for somebody...
Best Regards
Maciek
mamah@wp.pl
Hi Maciek,
your converting-tool is very useful, thanks for your work and thanks
for contributing to the community. At the moment we use it here:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 1&start=40
best regards Thomas