Update on the development of the OpenFOAM CFD workbench (CFDOF)

A subforum specific to the development of the OpenFoam-based workbenches ( Cfd https://github.com/qingfengxia/Cfd and CfdOF https://github.com/jaheyns/CfdOF )

Moderator: oliveroxtoby

thschrader
Veteran

Re: Update on the development of the OpenFOAM CFD workbench (CFDOF)

Post by thschrader »

saso wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:29 am One of the interesting use cases of cfd for structural engineering can be wind loads (wind tunnel) simulations on structures / buildings...
That is exactly what I am looking for.
Please see here: (german site, but manual in english)
https://www.kathrein.com/de/loesungen/m ... /windlast/

I am not sure how to compute resulting forces (lets say the reacting forces of a cylinder
under wind-loading) with the cfd-wb. I think you must edit the case-dictionaries, but
I dont know the needed commands and where to put them.
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

makkemal wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:08 am When will this be part of the addon manager ?
It really full featured workbench already
Thanks, we have requested it to be added (https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-addons/issues/44) so hopefully it'll be available soon...
yorik wrote: ping?
;)
Please provide all the information requested in this post before reporting problems with CfdOF.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

just succeeded with a first example :D
laminar_flow_sphere.png
laminar_flow_sphere.png (88.97 KiB) Viewed 3427 times
this is a very nice way to play with open-foam. thanks for this nice add-on.
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

thschrader wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:12 am
saso wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:29 am One of the interesting use cases of cfd for structural engineering can be wind loads (wind tunnel) simulations on structures / buildings...
That is exactly what I am looking for.
Please see here: (german site, but manual in english)
https://www.kathrein.com/de/loesungen/m ... /windlast/

I am not sure how to compute resulting forces (lets say the reacting forces of a cylinder
under wind-loading) with the cfd-wb. I think you must edit the case-dictionaries, but
I dont know the needed commands and where to put them.
Hi Thomas

Thank you for the feedback in your earlier message :)

We probably don't have the spare time or funding to implement this any time soon, so editing case dictionaries is the best bet. You would want the 'forces' function object, see the OpenFOAM user guide - https://cfd.direct/openfoam/user-guide/ ... 390006.2.2 - and the template you would need to use can be copied from <OpenFOAM directory>/etc/caseDicts/postProcessing/forces/forcesIncompressible

Of course, if anyone wants to add this functionality to the workbench, that would be great.
Please provide all the information requested in this post before reporting problems with CfdOF.
Worufu

Post by Worufu »

Yeah, I'm very happy about this workbench, it has a lot of potentialities. A little knowledgements of paraview can show very useful results, as wing lift, drag, etc...

I found a problem in the re-opening the constraint forms, the fields of pressure and velocity changes values every time the form is opened or closed. The image below can explain the problem.
insertion.png
insertion.png (81.48 KiB) Viewed 3417 times
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

@oliveroxtoby: As you use Paraview as post processor I suppose openFOAM creates vtk result files? If so you could also import the results into FreeCAD just like @m42kus does with his elmer code. Postprocessing it in FreeCAD is of course not as powerful as in ParaView, but for basic and fast needs it is nice already. It could be a nice addition to the workbench.
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Worufu wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:27 am Yeah, I'm very happy about this workbench, it has a lot of potentialities. A little knowledgements of paraview can show very useful results, as wing lift, drag, etc...

I found a problem in the re-opening the constraint forms, the fields of pressure and velocity changes values every time the form is opened or closed. The image below can explain the problem.

insertion.png
Ouch.
I can't seem to reproduce this issue. Can you confirm which Units system you are using (Edit | Preferences | Units) and FreeCAD version information?
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

ickby wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:59 am @oliveroxtoby: As you use Paraview as post processor I suppose openFOAM creates vtk result files? If so you could also import the results into FreeCAD just like @m42kus does with his elmer code. Postprocessing it in FreeCAD is of course not as powerful as in ParaView, but for basic and fast needs it is nice already. It could be a nice addition to the workbench.
Paraview has a reader for the native OpenFOAM structure so it isn't necessary to create vtks. Still, Johan did write some code to import vtk results early on. It worked but we couldn't really justify maintaining it. It's certainly an option if someone has time.
Worufu

Post by Worufu »

oliveroxtoby wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:05 pm
Worufu wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:27 am Yeah, I'm very happy about this workbench, it has a lot of potentialities. A little knowledgements of paraview can show very useful results, as wing lift, drag, etc...

insertion.png
Ouch.
I can't seem to reproduce this issue. Can you confirm which Units system you are using (Edit | Preferences | Units) and FreeCAD version information?
I'm using "standard (mm/kg/s/deg)" on:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.11919 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: fccb5dbc87b919164610296adc96aa8b4fe4825e
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)

But I got the same issue on older freecad version. I tried also MKS unit system, but the problem persists.
oliveroxtoby

Post by oliveroxtoby »

Worufu wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:33 pm
oliveroxtoby wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:05 pm

insertion.png
Ouch.
I'm using "standard (mm/kg/s/deg)" on:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.11919 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: fccb5dbc87b919164610296adc96aa8b4fe4825e
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: Italian/Italy (it_IT)

But I got the same issue on older freecad version. I tried also MKS unit system, but the problem persists.
Aha. The issue seems to occur when the 'digit grouping symbol' in your Windows localisation settings is set to '.' Something is obviously being printed internally as "xxx.0" and this is being interpreted as a multiplication by 10. I will dig around and see if I can find the culprit, but for now you could work around it by changing your digit grouping symbol (1000s separator) in the Windows control panel.