Loft fails on OSX

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Loft fails on OSX

Post by Jee-Bee »

In the Open discussion topic about Obelisk i want to add a loft from 2 sketches. but when pre selecting the two sketches I got an empty error. No message.
Without preselecting i don't have the possibilities to add the sketches.
According to @Pekkio
@bee jee I believe Mac users have some more problems unfortunately. I got crashes from a simple sweep then I passed the file to my friend with WIN 7 and the sweep went fine.
So i was a bit curious if there is something wrong with my model or is it more or less a Mac issue.
Attachments
Obelisk.FCStd
(14.08 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
nemesis

Re: Loft fails on OSX

Post by nemesis »

Sketch01 as only 1 point and sketch02 as a square. I don't think you can loft between the two. Normally you should have the same number of points between the two.

Nevermind, there is a strange thing in your model, I'm unable to see the sketch lines and the datum planes even when I toggle the visibility.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.11955 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (detached from 79d399e)
Hash: 79d399e43eeadaaec5e19a06197997971ed86821
Python version: 2.7.13
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

A loft can have a point at one end, at least the Part Loft, but I think it is the same with Part Design.

Sketch002 is empty here. It says so if you open the sketcher. Please verify this, if it contains in fact the square which you describe, then I am willing to update my Mac version and double check.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.11919 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (detached from fccb5db)
Hash: fccb5dbc87b919164610296adc96aa8b4fe4825e
Python version: 2.7.13
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

@chrisb my version is older as yours. I would say you should see it...
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

@Jee-Bee I did not see this topic, I answered you in https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 2&start=10

Renato
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If I edit Sketch002 I can see in the elements area that there should be 4 lines. However, at the top it says the sketch is empty?
I even tried to delete the external geometry, but to no avail.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2017-09-04 um 23.17.49.png
Bildschirmfoto 2017-09-04 um 23.17.49.png (18.16 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi all, regarding the Sketch containing only a point, this will not work because Sketcher Point is only a Construction geometry item not a real Geometry item.

I argued for allowing Sketcher Point to be able to work in both modes but it's only ever been implemented as a construction mode item. The discussion was on this forum many years ago, I don't remember the details.

If you want to be able to use Sketcher Point as real Geometry, you will need to make a feature request. I suggest that you first find the posts made way back when Sketcher Point was implemented and see if you can find the original discussion of this matter.

I am on my phone at this time.

Jim
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Jee-Bee wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:42 pm In the Open discussion topic about Obelisk i want to add a loft from 2 sketches. but when pre selecting the two sketches I got an empty error. No message.
Without preselecting i don't have the possibilities to add the sketches.
According to @Pekkio
@bee jee I believe Mac users have some more problems unfortunately. I got crashes from a simple sweep then I passed the file to my friend with WIN 7 and the sweep went fine.
So i was a bit curious if there is something wrong with my model or is it more or less a Mac issue.
Please always add your version data to posts like this.

Also please be clear about what Workbench and which tool you are trying to use. I assume that you are referring to Part WB Loft or are you talking about a PartDesign WB operation?
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

jmaustpc wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:19 am Please always add your version data to posts like this.
Sorry I was forgotten to add my Version. But still as is see that others have the same problem as what i have it is not version related...

Thanks for point to to the point as geometry thing...
Now i remember me in Pro-E there were 2 points. one construction what also become a axis after extrusion/ revolve (was really handy!!) and one point that was indeed model...
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

jmaustpc wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:16 am Hi all, regarding the Sketch containing only a point, this will not work because Sketcher Point is only a Construction geometry item not a real Geometry item.
Did you mean this topic (https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13435) or did you talk about another one?