CAM simulation for the Path Workbench

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
shaise

Re: CAM simulation for the Path Workbench

Post by shaise »

Does this parameter also exist in the python API?

EDIT Ickby: Sorry, edited you post instead of quoting :oops:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

shaise wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:18 am By the way, is there a way to hide the path lines? The standard hide functionality does not affect them, they are always visible.
You have to hide the job as well in addition to hiding the path.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
shaise

Post by shaise »

chrisb wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:09 am You have to hide the job as well in addition to hiding the path.
Works! thanks.
Does anyone knows if MIT license is compatible with FC? can I use such code within FC?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

wmayer says it's even more permissive: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 09#p190543
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
shaise

Post by shaise »

That's good to hear.
I plan now to try using booleans on simple meshes, should be considerably faster then on solids.

shai
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

shaise wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:36 am Does this parameter also exist in the python API?
Yes, it is avaliable in all boolean opes in v0.17

Code: Select all

d = b.cut([c], 1e-3)
shaise

Post by shaise »

ickby wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:12 am Yes, it is avaliable in all boolean opes in v0.17

Code: Select all

d = b.cut([c], 1e-3)
Thanks! I will give it a try, though I doubt it will be enough as I want to go down from 1.5 hour sim to several seconds...
shaise

Post by shaise »

Does anyone know if there is boolenan operations support on mesh parts in FC? I saw some traces in the code, but not in FC Gui.
If so, are there any python extenssions for that?
ickby
Veteran

Post by ickby »

Thanks! I will give it a try, though I doubt it will be enough as I want to go down from 1.5 hour sim to several seconds...
Definitely not, but it would still be interesting how much gain you can achieve.
Does anyone know if there is boolenan operations support on mesh parts in FC? I saw some traces in the code, but not in FC Gui.
There are mesh booleans in the MeshWorkbench, you can find them in the menu (no toolbar button). However, these commands use OpenSCAD for the boolean, which must be installed. And even if installed, I think it workes by writing out files, running openscad and reading in the result, so this will kill your performance anyway. So you may be better of when using a python mesh library with boolean support, e.g. PyMesh.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

mlampert wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:22 am I checked that file and the pockets are - weird. Some of them get milled from the bottom up, and two of them get milled in two parts, first upwards from about 3/4 of the total depth to the starting depth, and then downwards from 3/4 to the final depth. It's also changing the patterns on those boundaries (you can see it clearly if you switch to "top view", very noticeable on the cylinder and square holes on the bottom left
The problem is caused by enabling 'MinTravel', which uses 3D sort mode of PathArea. This mode is an experimental attempt for 3D milling. It's half finished and not really tested. I wasn't aware that you guys are using it. The problem is that 3D sorting pretty much ignored retraction path when searching for the next nearest path starting point. That's why you see it reach to the middle of the cylinder. Because if you ignore the retraction, the middle part is the next nearest entry. I'll see what I can do to fix it.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal