Manipulator WorkBench

Info about new community or project announcements, implemented features, classes, modules or APIs. Might get technical!
PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS OR OTHER DISCUSSIONS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
regis

Re: Manipulator WorkBench

Post by regis »

your workbench seems to have the most colorful display of icons. seems u've been hard at work creating icons aswell. ;)
oddtopus

Post by oddtopus »

Yesss! That WB will improve drastically the efficiency of working with FreeCAD.

I just have a feature request:
I talked here https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23965 about the possibility to use "handles", i.e. graphic objects that are temporarily drawn next to the object in the viewport. These handles could be grabbed and draged so to manipulate graphically the object, like in SweetHome3D.
I started to create a class for such auxiliary objects (polarUtilsCmd.arrow() and polarUtilsCmd.label3D() in flamingoWB). Actually I use them only to indicate directions of translation and rotation, but if you want you may take some snippet of that code and add a node to the scene-graph to make them selectable. I think that doing so, you only need to add the code to perform the manipulation.

...now I'm thinking about others possibilities and code snippets (for a spinner, for example) that can be used but this post's becoming too long. May I share some ideas with you in a private message?
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

oddtopus wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:30 am Yesss! That WB will improve drastically the efficiency of working with FreeCAD.
Thx :)
oddtopus wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:30 am I just have a feature request:
I talked here https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23965 about the possibility to use "handles", i.e. graphic objects that are temporarily drawn next to the object in the viewport. These handles could be grabbed and draged so to manipulate graphically the object, like in SweetHome3D.
I started to create a class for such auxiliary objects (polarUtilsCmd.arrow() and polarUtilsCmd.label3D() in flamingoWB). Actually I use them only to indicate directions of translation and rotation, but if you want you may take some snippet of that code and add a node to the scene-graph to make them selectable. I think that doing so, you only need to add the code to perform the manipulation.

...now I'm thinking about others possibilities and code snippets (for a spinner, for example) that can be used but this post's becoming too long. May I share some ideas with you in a private message?
yes, you can reach me in PM .. I would be happy to see if I can add some handles with some existing class...
Maurice
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

It is now on the official FC addons repo! :D
So it is easier to install it!

Because I was missing also some measurement when using App::Part objects (because of Draft Snap issue), I started to add to the Manipulator WB also a Caliper ...
Here some first tests (at a very early stage):

Caliper.gif
Caliper.gif (989.73 KiB) Viewed 3797 times
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

easyw-fc wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:43 pm It is now on the official FC addons repo! :D
Here some first tests (at a very early stage):
Nice work!
Just saw a fresh "first-look"video from Paul Randall about manipulator-wb
on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMBvvDiMHVo
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

thschrader wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:10 pm Nice work!
Thx :D
thschrader wrote: Just saw a fresh "first-look"video from Paul Randall about manipulator-wb
on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMBvvDiMHVo
thx for pointing this out :)
Nice to see my WB at work!
PS then I can also improve features, because of the feedback ;)
Maurice
PPS latest feature: Angle measurements
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Based on your picture it looks like a lot of clicks before having an angle measurement...
(face1, edge1, face2, edge2) Why not just edge1 and edge2 for angle between edges and face1 and face2 for an between surfaces?
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Jee-Bee wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:00 am Based on your picture it looks like a lot of clicks before having an angle measurement...
Based on your observations it looks like you haven't event tried the WB before your comment :P
Jee-Bee wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:00 am (face1, edge1, face2, edge2) Why not just edge1 and edge2 for angle between edges and face1 and face2 for an between surfaces?
What you see in the gif is just the mouse over the face highlighting...
The WB selection works like that:
If you have Angle measurement selected, you just need to select the first edge and then the second and the Dimension will appear.
(Angle between Faces is not implemented yet)
If you have Radius or Length selected, you just need to select an Edge to get the Dimension appearing.
If you have Bounding Box or Center of mass selected, you can just click on a Vertex or an Edge or a Face to get the corresponding BoundigBox/Mass Center point appearing.
If you have Snap to End, Middle or Center enabled, you can just select an Edge to get the End point or the Middle point whatever it is the closest to the position clicked. If you click on a face you get its Center.
This is IMO the less click you can do to get these results.

Please have a try with the WB ... that could help in refining its behavior in case of need.
Thx
Maurice
hammax
Veteran

Post by hammax »

...will there be also an angle between faces (is not implemented yet)? Minimum angle orthogonal to common edge?
Another item would be the possibility of preformatting or general formatting of the measure view.
Font, distances and the other stuff in ViewTab.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

hammax wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:25 pm ...will there be also an angle between faces (is not implemented yet)? Minimum angle orthogonal to common edge?
just implemented angle between normals to Faces/Planes :)
hammax wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:25 pm Another item would be the possibility of preformatting or general formatting of the measure view.
Font, distances and the other stuff in ViewTab.
I'm using DisplayMode: "3D", so the text is auto dimension itself as well as it is done for Part Measure tools.
It could be an option to use the same Font size used by Draft, in case of need...
in this case it wouldn't have any need to have a configuration tab, using the Draft preferences instead

Draft-preferences.png
Draft-preferences.png (78.14 KiB) Viewed 3499 times