[Bug] placement of boolean base propagates to secondary body

About the development of the Part Design module/workbench. PLEASE DO NOT POST HELP REQUESTS HERE!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
CluelessJunk

Re: [Bug] placement of boolean base propagates to secondary body

Post by CluelessJunk »

I just compiled a fresh build and rechecked this bug. It seems to me all the mentioned bugs are fixed.
1) The view correctly updates the angle values after applying the boolean operation. I am not able to get an inconsistent view anymore.
2) I'm not able to crash FreeCAD in any way I tried.
3) After applying the boolean OP, nothing besides the boolean object is shown. But I'm not able to show the inner boolean body alone anymore. So as far as I can tell, after applying the boolean, the inner body is non-modifyable and not showable on its ownanymore. (Which is a bit consistent on how Bodies work, but still a bit sad.)

Only thing that is a bit irritating:
1) create again two bodies with a cube each. Set the rotations to 5° and 10°. Result: They're 5° rotated relative to each other.
2) Now apply a boolean. The cubes are now 10° apart, rotated by 5°. This makes sense from how the bodies are represented. But maybe the transformation of the outer body should be applied to the inner body during booleanization. That way the bodies would stay in the same position.

I can't find my login on the bugtracker right now, so I can't comment there. IMO this bug can be closed. Nice job!
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

Hi,

I was just going to post about this "issue" and I found it was been talked before...

Well, trying to activate it again, I do agree with @CluelessJunk: the "booleaned" body should not inherit the active body transformation but the global (project) transformation so that the boolean happens between the bodies as placed in the global coordinates.

What do you think?
Dark and Light stylesheets v2.0 to theme your FreeCAD UI, more information here
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

pablogil wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:55 pm the "booleaned" body should not inherit the active body transformation but the global (project) transformation so that the boolean happens between the bodies as placed in the global coordinates.
That is a similar situation as with the ShapeBinders, where we now have this flag TraceSupport.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:51 pm
pablogil wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:55 pm the "booleaned" body should not inherit the active body transformation but the global (project) transformation so that the boolean happens between the bodies as placed in the global coordinates.
That is a similar situation as with the ShapeBinders, where we now have this flag TraceSupport.
So, it would work like I want if I set this flag? Where is it?

Thanks
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

pablogil wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:09 pm So, it would work like I want if I set this flag? Where is it?
I wanted to say: It would be sensible to have it here as well, but we don't have it yet.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
pablogil

Post by pablogil »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:11 pm
pablogil wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:09 pm So, it would work like I want if I set this flag? Where is it?
I wanted to say: It would be sensible to have it here as well, but we don't have it yet.
Ouch!