Couple of potential bugs...

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Couple of potential bugs...

Post by chrisb »

roivai wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:31 pm Does this build already include mlampert's PR1134?
Sorry, no. I will update and report back.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

17.12757 works out of the box. Even with the wrong tool, which might in the far future produce a warning.
Thanks!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

chrisb wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:22 pm That's what thought would be the problem in the first place, but I don't know how Joel Stienlet got that far. Please delete the drill operation and try to recreate it. That fails here.
The trick is to select the bottom face and then create a drilling op - in which case the OP uses the selection.
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

bill

Post by bill »

chrisb wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:31 pm 17.12757 works out of the box.
Where is this BOX (version)? The DAILY? or is this another egg hunt?

My install says latest freecad-daily is git rev.12697.

It would be nice of py-code mod(s) links to GIT could be posted (like above) to a pinned notice on front page.

This way it is a faster recovery from such situations.

In the past, when it was pretty much all slipT, I myself could keep up to date by monitoring his git entries closely (AH, the olden days); Now, there are many more contributions from many git locs.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

bill wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:00 pm
chrisb wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:31 pm 17.12757 works out of the box.
Where is this BOX (version)? The DAILY? or is this another egg hunt?

My install says latest freecad-daily is git rev.12697.
It is the daily from the dev download page: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.17_pre

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.12757 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 95cc7a9)
Hash: 95cc7a900bd6939e532cf55a085f26238bb1a5a7
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The Mac version seems to be generated automatically, it is is usually up-to-date with with git. I would like to see a similar mechanism for the daily ppa.
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

Just tried out latest fix, and looks very GOOD! Drilling and Helix operations are working for me again.

The only thing that's currently "Off", and it's relatively minor, is that the raw GCode doesn't have the Dwell-Time implemented yet. Great improvements so far though!

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.12764 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 9f20d9284d0d17cf95a45820098afd68c8761743
Python version: 2.7.8
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
JoshM

Post by JoshM »

Just an afterthought, but I've got a job coming up using a Thread-Mill, which is a new one for me. This is a single 3-Flute style capable of cutting either Right or Left-Hand threads, by making a helical cut, setting the Step-Down at the thread-pitch. The manufacturer recommends Feeds & Speeds, and says for Left-Hand-Threads to make a helical cut starting at the Top, cutting down, and for Right-Hand-Thread, to cut from the bottom up...

The only reason I mention this, is that the existing Helix operation can do the LHT (may have to adjust the final Rapid-Z exit to ensure centered in the hole), but the RHT cuts would not be supported as it is. I know this is a bit out there, and I can easily hand-code this OP, just thought I'd throw it out there and see if anyone else thinks there's value in supporting it long-term...

Best,
Josh

https://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/images ... 877-24.jpg
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

If I recall correctly, the helix operation does not strictly follow the stepdown parameter. I believe the pitch is adjusted so the number of turns to the bottom is exactly integral. The stepdown is close to the user input, but not necessarily exact.

Thread milling is pretty fussy. The pitch needs to be correct, the cutter must not go all the way to the bottom of a blind hole, the working z-position is not the bottom of the cutter, may need more than one pass, necessary to move to the center of the hole for vertical moves, etc.

Frankly, at this time I would hand code for thread milling. Pretty easy to mess up an expensive cutter.

Gene