In memoriam: Roland Frank (r-frank) 1970-2017

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bernd
Veteran

Re: In memoriam: Roland Frank (r-frank) 1970-2017

Post by bernd »

Does it mean rolands videos could be deleted by Google soon? That would be a pity! Mhh but on the other side, sometimes I do not log in my google for many months ...
arturromarr

Post by arturromarr »

chrisb wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:42 pmIn the german forum the idea was born to name the next release "Roland".
I support this idea.
In addition, I think that even greater Rolland commemoration would be further development of Assembly2 workbench. As a mechanical engineer, I understand his efforts to preserve this module.
(Google translation)
ikua

Post by ikua »

Never thought, that the death of somebody i never saw would affect me.
Thanks for all you have done and Rest in peace!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

bernd wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 pm Does it mean rolands videos could be deleted by Google soon? That would be a pity! Mhh but on the other side, sometimes I do not log in my google for many months ...
My understanding is that by default
"Inactive Account Manager "
Is not activated, but if you do activate it the default period is only 3 months. My understanding is that it's any activity so checking emails would count as activity.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

jmaustpc wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:42 am
bernd wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 pm Does it mean rolands videos could be deleted by Google soon? That would be a pity! Mhh but on the other side, sometimes I do not log in my google for many months ...
My understanding is that by default
"Inactive Account Manager "
Is not activated, but if you do activate it the default period is only 3 months. My understanding is that it's any activity so checking emails would count as activity.
I do not use my gmail account at all, only for you tube. Over the last few month I used it for GSoC but before I hade periods of more than 3 month without any contact to my account.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freecad-heini-1 wrote:ping
Wilfried, you want to contact Roland's family and you have already experience with a free video streaming service.
How about asking the family if we can double his videos there? Then we still can react if Google surprisingly would delete these videos which have a lot of clicks.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

chrisb wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:15 pm
freecad-heini-1 wrote:ping
Wilfried, you want to contact Roland's family and you have already experience with a free video streaming service.
How about asking the family if we can double his videos there? Then we still can react if Google surprisingly would delete these videos which have a lot of clicks.
Zunächst einmal ist Recherchearbeit angesagt. Ich habe zwar jemanden gefunden, der wie Roland's Bruder heißt, aber ob er es wirklich ist gilt es erst einmal heraus zu finden. Falls ich richtig liege, werde ich anrufen und das mit viel Feingefühl.
Mein Wunsch ist es, dass wir den Angehörigen vermitteln, dass Roland in diesem Forum ein hohes Ansehen genoss und wir ihn sehr vermissen, sowie sehr betroffen sind durch seinen viel zu frühen Tod. Außerdem soll sein Wirken gewürdigt werden durch die Namensvergabe an die nächste Freecad-Version.

Stellt euch bitte außerdem vor, dass die Angehörigen hier im Forum mit lesen können. Deswegen bitte ich darum alles was hier nicht her gehört zu löschen.

Viele Grüße
Wilfried

Kann das bitte jemand gut in Englisch übersetzen. Das wäre sehr nett.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

I'm shocked and saddened to hear this painful news. My most heartfelt sympathies go out to Roland's family and friends.

r-frank was one of the FreeCADers that drew me to the project. I'm still amazed at the amount of time and effort that some give to this project.

As has been mentioned, the video tutorials in the BPLRFE/Learn FreeCAD series are incredible. I can only be grateful for the amount of time and effort r-frank volunteered to produce such high quality contributions, bilingually as well. Simply amazing!

I believe r-frank became moderator when the tone of the discussions in the German language forum was straying from respectful discourse.
r-frank again selflessly offered to add his level headed services to get things back on track.

r-frank was also a Windows user, and he again generously donated his time, tirelessly testing and trouble-shooting. As a Windows packager his input was invaluable. It was as part of this I was fortunate to have some PM's with Roland.

jmaustpc said in his part of the world they would call Roland a "good bloke" in my neck of the woods we would call him a "good guy". It came through in his posts and how he treated people. Unfortunately I never met Roland personally, only on the forum, but we will truly miss him.

I strongly support naming the next release "Roland" and would add we should honor him with a banner in the credits.
"fight the good fight"
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:52 pm alles was hier nicht her gehört zu löschen.

Viele Grüße
Wilfried
a clipped quote

According to Google Translate, Wilfried said ......
First of all, research work is announced. Although I have found someone who is called Roland's brother, but if he really is it is first of all to find out. If I'm right, I'll call and with great sensitivity.

It is my wish that we convey to the relatives that Roland enjoyed a high reputation in this forum and that we very much miss him, as well as being greatly affected by his premature death. In addition, his work will be honored by the naming of the next Freecad version.

Please also imagine that the relatives can read here in the forum. That's why I ask you to delete everything that does not belong here.

Best regards

Wilfried

Can someone please translate that well into English? That would be nice.
Karl1459

Post by Karl1459 »

As a community we mourn one of our leaders.
Yes, the internet allows people who share a common bond to become a community across geographic, cultural, and physical boundaries. As a community we mourn, then carry on.

Naming the next release in Roland Frank's honor is appropriate.
Perhaps a more lasting legacy would be to preserve the video tutorials as part of the FC project, encourage members of the FC community to keep them updated to the current version of FC, and name that documentation "The Roland Frank Memorial Video Tutorials". Hopefully license can be acquired, even better if the family could contribute the original masters.