Incorrect path orientation, when path created from rotated sketch

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
filipp.sudanov

Incorrect path orientation, when path created from rotated sketch

Post by filipp.sudanov »

I've made two sketches, two pads out of them and created paths from these pads. Both sketches have 90 degree rotation in their placement properties. Paths for one pad are correct, but for another the path does not take the rotation angle for the sketch into account.

Freecad document attached.
freecad_path_from_rotated_sketch.png
freecad_path_from_rotated_sketch.png (175.5 KiB) Viewed 1468 times
matchstick_sorter_daily.fcstd
(133.32 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.17.12643 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 868d9cc6c215ce3a2ab20d454378ec00e1b9ed26
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
mlampert
Veteran

Re: Incorrect path orientation, when path created from rotated sketch

Post by mlampert »

Path only supports a single base object at the moment. If you want to create paths for 2 solids in a single job you can try making a Compound out of the two and use that as the base object for the Job.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Hi Markus,
the problem exists also if only 1 part is selected, but only if you change the orientation or the placemant of a part after you create the job.
Gruß Herbert
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

herbk wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:10 pm Hi Markus,
the problem exists also if only 1 part is selected, but only if you change the orientation or the placemant of a part after you create the job.
I see what you mean - that is actually by design, hate to phrase it that way, but it is a feature. Path creates a clone in order to allow independent placement. You can move and rotate the Job's Base object however you like and need it for the Job without having to move/rotate your design. Naturally the decoupling works both was, as you can independently change the Placement of the Base object you can also independently change the Placement of the model.

So, regardless if you changed the Placement of your Part, you can modify the Placement of the Base-object clone at any time to suit your needs. You can do that manually in the property editor, use any tools from the Draft WB or the minimal tools we created in the Job editor. In the Setup tab the buttons under "Orientation" and "Alignment" can be used to rotate and move the Base-object clone and the Stock object.

Note that depending on how you change the Placement of the Base-object clone it will be (badly) misaligned with the originally created Stock object. In order to sync the two again, either also change the Placement of the Stock object, or you can temporarily select a different Stock and then switch back to the one you want - which, upon creation, will be aligned with the current Placement of the Base-object clone.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

thx for explaning.
I noticed it some times, but see it Not real as a problem, becouse i know that i can place the path where i want it to have. ;)
Gruß Herbert
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

There is another significant problem.

The basic FC model before any Path operations is not valid. There are two completely independent solids. This is not supported by the Part Design workbench. I do not know what impact this problem will have on Path operations, but it probably is not good.

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:20 am The basic FC model before any Path operations is not valid. There are two completely independent solids. This is not supported by the Part Design workbench. I do not know what impact this problem will have on Path operations, but it probably is not good.
The model has probably been created in 0.16. It is valid because the two solids are based on two sketches. In 0.17 this would have required two bodies and Path can handle it by selecting one of them as base object.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

filipp.sudanov wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:39 pm Version: 0.17.12643 (Git)

????? :roll:

Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:22 pm Version: 0.17.12643 (Git)
I had seen that, and I was a bit short in explaining my guess: The model was created in 0.16 and imported to 0.17 to create the paths. This is a sensible procedure because PDN is not yet settled.
You can see that it is not created in 0.17 because it is impossible to create pads and pockets without a body.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

That may be true, but it does not change the fact that multiple bodies were not "allowed" in version 0.16 and they are not "allowed" in version 0.17. Yes, it is possible to beat the system, as has been discussed many times in the help forum.

It is not clear how the link from Path to an invalid model occurs or if that connection is stable.

Gene