Moving objects around once they have been modified with the pocket function

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MikeDra

Moving objects around once they have been modified with the pocket function

Post by MikeDra »

FreeCAD version: 0.16
Operating System: Windows 10, 64 bit

I am new to Freecad and I am having trouble moving objects around once they have been modified with the pocket function. The specific problem at hand is that I am drawing a series of holes in a bar. The bar is part of a larger modeling project. The bar is inserted into the worksheet in the part work bench as a primitive form. I then go to the part drawing work bench and locate the holes and make a pocket. If I want to move the bar in relation to the other objects before I make the pocket I can do this in the drafting work bench. However once the pocket is established, the bar is unmovable except through the use of changing the x,y,z, coordinates.

I have tried to find information about this in the many tutorials that are available however I have not found any that address this specific issue. I have also first done a fusion operation between the pocket and the bar and then tried to use the move tool but that was also unsuccessful.

Is it possible to move an object after a pocket or pad operation has been done on it with the move tool in the drawing work bench or is the only option for moving the object after the pocket or pad operation typing in an x,y,z coordinate change?

Thank you,
Mike
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Moving objects around once they have been modified with the pocket function

Post by chrisb »

The Pocket is not an object itself, it is a feature, i.e. it is the cube (bar) with the pocket. You can move PartDesign features if and only if you move their base. In your case it is the cube.
- Hide the Pocket
- make the cube visible
- move it in the Draft Workbench (I'm sure you don't mean the Drawing WB, as you have written)
- hide the cube
- make the Pocket visible
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Willem
Veteran

Post by Willem »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

You can move your bar only by moving the first sketch you made, see image. You can also click on the three dots on the placement box for a more advanced movement options. This works the same when the first object is not a sketch but a primitive like a box
Schermafdruk van 2017-11-03 11-05-25.png
Schermafdruk van 2017-11-03 11-05-25.png (223.69 KiB) Viewed 1571 times
Montoya88

Post by Montoya88 »

Hello, I also have a question about the pocket function.

When I use the pocket function mainly to cope square tube. The square tube prior to using the pocket function still exists but is hidden from the work bench.

typically I just delete it but I do a pop-up that informs me that other objects are dependent on it assuming the object that has the pocket, is there a procedure that hide it from my combo view so that I don't have cluttered view?
Attachments
pocket function.PNG
pocket function.PNG (2.03 KiB) Viewed 1484 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Montoya88 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:54 am is there a procedure that hide it from my combo view so that I don't have cluttered view?
As mentioned before, you cannot delete the basis of a pocket, because it actually belongs to it, it is not simply a construction help. If you have many of these objects and you want to get your tree sorted you can try if a Group can help you. It is like a folder in the tree where you can move things into.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Montoya88

Post by Montoya88 »

chrisb wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:40 am
As mentioned before, you cannot delete the basis of a pocket, because it actually belongs to it, it is not simply a construction help.
[/quote]

Thank you, grouping items helps a lot. Now when I "Make Compound" of all my parts so I can send I send it to the drawing work bench should I include the basis of the pockets into the compound?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Montoya88 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:35 am Thank you, grouping items helps a lot. Now when I "Make Compound" of all my parts so I can send I send it to the drawing work bench should I include the basis of the pockets into the compound?
You're welcome.
The sketches are not included explicitely; they don't garble the view anyway, because the are positioned below their Pad, Pcket, etc.