In memoriam: Roland Frank (r-frank) 1970-2017

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Re: In memoriam: Roland Frank (r-frank) 1970-2017

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

Tonight I called some phone numbers of people with family name Frank in Moeckmuehl, Germany.
Nobody knew him until the fifth phone number. With the sixth number I reached Roland's mother-in-law, who speaks broken German. Roland died on the highway in a traffic accident.
I felt this woman's discomfort, apologized and ended the phone conversation.
At this point I don't want to investigate any further and so I end my search for other relatives.

Maybe this is the accident?
http://www.mdr.de/thueringen/unfall-tot ... l-100.html

Translated from German to English with:
https://www.deepl.com/translator
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have written to the funeral parlor and asked if he could forward the message containing the links to the forum discussions to his family or friends.
@Admins: Please scan the registrations carefully in the next future before you reject someone not being familiar with the registration procedure.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
charles adams

Post by charles adams »

I'm so sad that Roland has past. I've been using his you tube FreeCAD videos to try and learn FreeCAD and her sounded like a very genital soul may he be remembered as a true teacher and stand with his god
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

A friend of Roland has joined the german forum. He will forward the links to to both topics (english and german) to the family.

Furthermore he will ask Roland's brother about the rights of the videos.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
__Vinz__

Post by __Vinz__ »

Hi there,

I am also very sad to hear about Roland's passing. I indeed discovered he was the author of the Youtube FreeCAD tutorial videos I came to love and appreciate so much. It's through them that I overcame the FreeCAD learning curve, for me who is not familiar with CAD.
I second the idea of finding a way to duplicate them. I think it would be a waste to lose them. I would consider having those videos as part of the official FreeCAD documentation.
Leatherman

Post by Leatherman »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:21 pm Tonight I called some phone numbers of people with family name Frank in Moeckmuehl, Germany.
Nobody knew him until the fifth phone number. With the sixth number I reached Roland's mother-in-law, who speaks broken German. Roland died on the highway in a traffic accident.
At this point I don't want to investigate any further and so I end my search for other relatives.

Very shocking! Thanks for your effort.
Montoya88

Post by Montoya88 »

I'm generally at a loss for words in times of passing. I appreciate Roland's YouTube videos they have really helped me understand 3d modeling, I'm sure he has made huge contributions to the community as well.

May Roland rest in peace and I wish comfort for his friends and family.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Sad the hear that, he was being helpful.

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends.

Rest in peace Roland
MMSN

Post by MMSN »

Leatherman wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:18 am freecad-heini-1 wrote: ↑
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:21 am
Tonight I called some phone numbers of people with family name Frank in Moeckmuehl, Germany.

Very shocking! Thanks for your effort.
Yes, Thanks for your effort.
Sad know the news and happy that Roland in the sky will see the FreeCad new release called with his name and his family will be proud for his contribution.
Thank for this incredible open source that has been well received by people like Roland Frank.
svenair

Post by svenair »

Hallo!
Auch ich bin traurig das Roland so früh aus dem Leben getreten ist!

Ich kannte ihn nicht, nur einige seiner Videos
(und momentan habe ich wieder eines von ihm laufen)

Ich schliesse aber aus dem was ich über ihn lese und wie er in seinen Videos herüber kommt,
das er ein angenehmer, freudlicher Mensch war.

Jemand den ich gerne kennengelernt hätte!

Mein tiefes Mitgefühl seinen Hinterbliebenen,
gerade auch durch seine tollen Beiträge hier,
lebt ein Teil von ihm weiter,
Sven