arch mod to design a simple house?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: arch mod to design a simple house?

Post by jmaustpc »

Another bug for you Yorik :)

House21
Hide all the walls except wall 002, look for the hall cupboard a the far right, its door should be in the wall furthest to the right. Now if you select that wall in PartDesign/or sketcher and then click new sketch, it gives the following error message

Code: Select all

Document::recompute: The graph must be a DAG.
The new sketch defaults to the xy plane and it does not automatically attach to the face selected. You can't attach a sketch to this selected face with Map Sketch To Face in PartDesign either.

Here's a picture, showing the wall I am trying to select in this example, in case my description is not clear. You get the same problem no matter which wall you select.

Jim
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Hm yes there is indeed something wrong with those sketches that don't want to become a structure :) I must have a better look
The "graph is not a DAG" error happens when you have a dependency loop somewhere (object A is included in object B which is included in object C which is included in object A). I noticed it with some windows too, but couldn't nail down the problem to the source yet.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi Yorik
Not sure if this one really helps you much because.........................IT WORKED PERFECTLY! :D

But I thought it would be nice to get a (hopefully reasonably well modelled) example out there that worked perfectly.

The house is far from finished. This one is just a slab, outside wall and the inside walls.

However some of the good points
1) I used the same sketch for the Pad for the floor slab and the external wall so there is only one sketch to adjust the overall size of the house
2) The floor slab is reverse padded so that my global origin is the top left ((right from within the house)) front of the slab
3) all the interior wall worked PERFECTLY from one sketch, and everything in that sketch is reference from a construction line on edge of the slab at the opposite end from my global origin
4) the point about 3) is that when you change the overall length of the house in it shortens/lengthens the open plan living area leaving all the bedrooms etc. intact. Also if you change the width of the house all the ends of the interior walls retain their position relative to the outside walls.
5) so within a reasonable range you can simply change one parameter in one sketch and the house will redraw to the new width/length.

Now that's got to be good for a general plan for say a building company who want to sell modified standard designs.

house41.FCStd
(25.62 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
So anyway I thought I would have a little celebration and send you this file while it is still perfect, has no bugs etc.! :D

Now I will go and add a whole lot more detail ...and see if I can't find some more bugs.

Just in case you haven't noticed...I'm really liking your Arch module. And since I am drawing flash new houses, my wife is actually, finally, interested in what I am doing with FreeCAD, except now she wants me to build one...for real. Whoops..me and my big mouth! :D

good night

Jim
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi Yorik
Got a bug/feature request

Arch Roof - wants a face of an object to be created from. Could you possibly allow it to be created from a sketch? Then I can use the same sketch for the slab floor, outer walls and roof. Obviously the roof would need a vertical offset, but I could do that manually and it would still be a great convenience for me. I think this would work well at least for a house with a simple layout similar to house41.

For the time being I have been creating a Draft Rectangle, (due to its being a face) and mounting the roof on that.

Jim
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi again Yorik
Another little bug that's in current git/master (actually this problem came up the other day and I forgot to tell you)....

Draft WB create Rectangle
click on tool bar rectangle icon
then click once on the drawing for the first point.....

...now you are supposed to click on the second point (which by the way I was using you wonderfully snapping to locate it on top of my rectangular house42 outline) but it creates an rectangle immediately with an error icon and then complains that it only has one point

Code: Select all

FeaturePython::onChanged (Rectangle001): Cannot create polygon because less than two vetices are given
My current version data

Kubuntu 12.04 32 bit
Version: 0.13.1136 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 6621c00c10bcebb9a56108b23373a23685ad54a9

Jim
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

I just tried making a roof and none worked tonight, a flat plane was the best I could get.

I tried
1) from Sketch doesn't work as above (I know you already know this first one)
2) from a Draft Rectangle (although you get the error above you can still go an edit the parameters to create a proper correct Draft Rectangle)
3) from the face of a Part Box

I don't know if you really want the file for this one but if so here it is
house42.FCStd
(30.66 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Jim
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

In the Tools menu there is now a command to show the object dependencies graphically. There you can quickly see where you have created the cyclic dependency in your project. For the command you need to have graphviz installed.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

wmayer wrote:In the Tools menu there is now a command to show the object dependencies graphically. There you can quickly see where you have created the cyclic dependency in your project. For the command you need to have graphviz installed.
Oh nice, very useful addition!
pperisin

Post by pperisin »

on win too - it crashes.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

jmaustpc wrote:I just tried making a roof and none worked tonight, a flat plane was the best I could get.

I tried
1) from Sketch doesn't work as above (I know you already know this first one)
2) from a Draft Rectangle (although you get the error above you can still go an edit the parameters to create a proper correct Draft Rectangle)
3) from the face of a Part Box

I don't know if you really want the file for this one but if so here it is
house42.FCStd
Jim
Yorik I owe you an apology, Roof from Part Face or Draft Rectangle does actually work, they are just upside down.

When I view them in axometric view they look line just a surface/face, but that is just a trick of the geometry because the roof is angled you can't see it hanging down there.

Jim