Better Workflow to Model and Revise a Complex Building, Assemble Parts, Parametrically and Efficiently? - 2

A forum dedicated to the Draft, Arch and BIM workbenches development.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
paullee
Veteran

Better Workflow to Model and Revise a Complex Building, Assemble Parts, Parametrically and Efficiently? - 2

Post by paullee »

Workflow experiment on 2nd point

2. Can't 'Assemble' Arch Windows / Doors - they do not move with host

The videos on 1st point somehow demonstrate the windows and doors stick to relative position of building objects w/o using 'move with host'

> This is related to 1st point: Somehow, I can't figure out how Move with Host works, for Arch Windows / Doors. It seems some one else has similar problem but are able to do it?
> Adjusting/rotating e.g. the location of Arch Wall would left the windows and doors un-relocated / not followed

> Currently in the experiment, reference sketch and Mapmode is used so link the windows and doors
> More videos below to stretch / alter the internal wall into oblique alignment...

Would be Better With:
> Arch objects has mapmode like sketch !
> Sketch currently does not have tools to adjust the Attachment Offset - need input manually - Draft Move does not respect / is not aware of Attachment Offset (yet)

Videos of the Experiment
Arch Wall changed to oblique, door and window follows
But unwanted hole by door created
(sorry again I do not have a mic to provide some verbal explanation)

- about 1:00 to 1:30, walls changed to oblique arrangement
- (the resultant arch objects are turned on to superimpose with the sketch to show their relationship)
- note in about 1:55, the ovearll box are elongated, internal wall become oblique
- the door and window position relative to the corners still maintained

Minor problem
- about 2:00 to 2:55: an unwanted door opening is created at an adjacent wall

phpBB [video]
regis

Re: Better Workflow to Model and Revise a Complex Building, Assemble Parts, Parametrically and Efficiently? - 2

Post by regis »

it does help to understand better if i can manipulate the file as well.
paullee
Veteran

Re: Better Workflow to Model and Revise a Complex Building, Assemble Parts, Parametrically and Efficiently? - 2

Post by paullee »

regis wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:06 pm it does help to understand better if i can manipulate the file as well.
It needs quite some time to single out something out of the mess, here it is, kind of cryptic possibly.

As indicated, it is not productive currently, both due to the 'bugs / lack of features' as summarized and the way I model it - it is highly volatile as other people or FreeCad command do not aware the peculiar linkages in the model, it will break it touching anywhere of the model.

So there is no Link to External Geometry in the sketches.
- Carbon Copy helps but not useful for the way most architectural layout is modelled (need detailed explanation, omitting it now)
- Microelly driver / driving sketches kind of linkage but lack python part
- The principle inside the above techniques is used, sketches are linked by mapmode and by named constraints
- So producing the tens or hundreds of these kind of linkage is not productive except if FreeCad is provided with the ability to (automatically) provide custom name to every edges in sketches

Would be out for a while back tomorrow.
Attachments
Test _ Fan Shape _ Wall on Sketches _ r17_-h _ Try Sketch _ Precast Box ___ s.fcstd
(249.88 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
regis

Post by regis »

Much appreciated, I sort of have to look into the file detaily to understand it often times.
I must confess, :lol: you are playing exactly with the next level of freecad's capability with this sort of parametric approach to modelling.
I am mostly scared of this area because it generally eats up my computer's ram and cpu once I get a bit too deep, and tech-draw is has become a scary animal for my computer. And in the end i'm left with trouble shooting the computer, reinstalling systems, trouble shooting, all the annoying things.

Like here i'm breaking down your file to make sense of it, I know you've mensioned avoiding external geometries, so does that example why in your drawings there are so many dimensions to play the linking roles between the external sketch references?
Attachments
Screenshot from 2017-12-28 07-49-14.png
Screenshot from 2017-12-28 07-49-14.png (430.53 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
Screenshot from 2017-12-28 07-50-20.png
Screenshot from 2017-12-28 07-50-20.png (440.76 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
Screenshot from 2017-12-28 07-52-28.png
Screenshot from 2017-12-28 07-52-28.png (339.57 KiB) Viewed 2454 times
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

regis wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:59 pm Much appreciated, I sort of have to look into the file detaily to understand it often times.
I must confess, :lol: you are playing exactly with the next level of freecad's capability with this sort of parametric approach to modelling.
I am mostly scared of this area because it generally eats up my computer's ram and cpu once I get a bit too deep, and tech-draw is has become a scary animal for my computer. And in the end i'm left with trouble shooting the computer, reinstalling systems, trouble shooting, all the annoying things.

Like here i'm breaking down your file to make sense of it, I know you've mensioned avoiding external geometries, so does that example why in your drawings there are so many dimensions to play the linking roles between the external sketch references?
Just experimenting low-tech way - just using a core i3 3.1ghz w/ 8g ram here - not using tech-draw very much!

And yes you get it, the named constraints mentioned. So you may find how unproductive currently w/o the features / 'bug' fixed I mentioned - i do not have the ability to dig into FreeCad to tweak it myself. If you find the concept workflow may have potential maybe you or someone can hack into FreeCad to do something.
regis

Post by regis »

For now your file is sort of modelled how I would do it. But i'm not satisfied with it, there seem to be some type of hidden modeling style or technique, but that is depending on what you wish to acheive. This style of modeling seems somewhat appropriate to interior design (best guess) seems you can build units in block mode this way. The thing that bugs me is that when the base sketch is overwhelmed by all the dependent sketches which have other dependencies such as objects and walls, Manipulating feels frustatingly slow. But oh well, much needed thoughts for now.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

regis wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:11 am For now your file is sort of modelled how I would do it. But i'm not satisfied with it, there seem to be some type of hidden modeling style or technique, but that is depending on what you wish to acheive. This style of modeling seems somewhat appropriate to interior design (best guess) seems you can build units in block mode this way. The thing that bugs me is that when the base sketch is overwhelmed by all the dependent sketches which have other dependencies such as objects and walls, Manipulating feels frustatingly slow. But oh well, much needed thoughts for now.
Glad you try this approach but as I said I find there are a few 'missing features' to make it productive at all :) https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 57#p206099 Maybe you find a better way to have better result! Sort of proof of concept with this weeks of experiment for me! The result is sort of good but the time building is like what you say frustratingly slow!

On top of the missing feature list is > Ability to (auto) custom name to each edges in Sketches / Draft Wire
It would reduce tremendous effect / hours of time needs to manually build the link between sketches
Kind of solve the Link to External Geometry problem also.....etc. ...
Seem nobody is doing that at the moment though some discussion.

Now there may be some small progress on Reliability in Building ArchWall over Sketches Issue
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 76#p207605 - if this is not solved, this experiment is the end.

BTW, the 'boxes' I built are just some experiment in construction methodology, I would have only wall, floor, external facades instead of 'boxing' the rooms for ordinary construction. So it may mislead you to interior design?

See what you needs and thanks for your comments!
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

regis wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:11 am For now your file is sort of modelled how I would do it. But i'm not satisfied with it, there seem to be some type of hidden modeling style or technique, but that is depending on what you wish to acheive. This style of modeling seems somewhat appropriate to interior design (best guess) seems you can build units in block mode this way. The thing that bugs me is that when the base sketch is overwhelmed by all the dependent sketches which have other dependencies such as objects and walls, Manipulating feels frustatingly slow. But oh well, much needed thoughts for now.
See if you maybe interested, something happen in this thread may be useful eventually hopefully.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p216869Sketcher feature request: "publish" any element
regis

Post by regis »

paullee wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:50 am
See if you maybe interested, something happen in this thread may be useful eventually hopefully.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p216869Sketcher feature request: "publish" any element
Oh thanks for drawing my attention on this, quite an interesting feature in that thread. I'll have to experiment with it to see it's best use eventually. and also performance wise.