Release of v0.17

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
saso
Veteran

Re: Release of v0.17

Post by saso »

kkremitzki wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:32 pm https://mentors.debian.net/package/opencascade

I have a package under review/revisement for OCCT 7.2 in Debian Sid (Unstable). Once this gets in to Sid, it also means the package will be in the upcoming Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver as well as being available in daily builds before the release. Hopefully this will help make sure 0.17 will be available in both Ubuntu 18.04 as well as the maybe-not-that-far-off Debian 10 release.
+1
Thanks kurt!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

DXF import seems to have issues....according to this Help topic..

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 19#p208219

kkremitzki wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:32 pm I have a package under review/revisement for OCCT 7.2 in Debian Sid (Unstable).
Great! :)
kkremitzki wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:32 pm I mentioned it in Gitter/IRC but figured it was worth posting here as well:
Yes, definitely, I can't keep up with the forums now days. I can't speak for others but I like having one central place to go to communicate, so I only use the forums. I haven't used IRC for several years. We had to use it to communicate when our forum system went down due to problems at SourceForge, back when we were still using SourceForge. :)
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Taking care of the DXF bug now. I uploaded the latest strings to crowdin yesterday, let's translate!!!
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

kkremitzki wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:32 pm I have a package under review/revisement for OCCT 7.2 in Debian Sid (Unstable).
Fingers crossed!
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

kkremitzki wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:32 pm... Debian's new GitLab instance at salsa.debian.org, which means learning the git-buildpackage tool gbp and revising the package to use it (via https://salsa.debian.org/kkremitzki-guest/opencascade) but hopefully the package will be available in the next 2 weeks.
I am surprised something like this is allowed by the occt corp. Their repo is only available to signatories of the CLA. I would think exposing a clone to the public would be restricted, but I don't know.
blacey

Post by blacey »

tanderson69 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:22 pm
kkremitzki wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:32 pm... Debian's new GitLab instance at salsa.debian.org, which means learning the git-buildpackage tool gbp and revising the package to use it (via https://salsa.debian.org/kkremitzki-guest/opencascade) but hopefully the package will be available in the next 2 weeks.
I am surprised something like this is allowed by the occt corp. Their repo is only available to signatories of the CLA. I would think exposing a clone to the public would be restricted, but I don't know.
Just prior to the Holidays, I worked with Andrey Betenev, the Opencascade Kernel project manager, to enable the integration of OCCT 7.2 into the Homebrew package manager on macOS. Andrey endorsed source access for this purpose (in fact, Andrey worked internally at Opencascade to fix gitweb access so it returns an identical payload each time it is invoke for sha verification by package managers).

The recently released Homebrew opencascade formula, uses the gitweb url "http://git.dev.opencascade.org/gitweb/? ... 2_0;sf=tgz" to download a .tgz of the OCCT 7.2 release. When I asked Andrey to confirm that this access is sanctioned by Opencascade, he responded as follows:
Finally, I want to confirm that this is an approved means for providing Homebrew integration. In other words, we will be in compliance with your licensing terms if we use the gitweb interface to build from sources for the Homebrew formula/distribution.
Hello Bruce,

Using GitWeb to download source snapshots is fully compliant with our rules, and has always been a recommended way to access OCCT for people who needs more than official release but do not have or do not need full access to Git. (The standard way of downloading official version still requires authentication -- we need this to have at least partial statistics on OCCT user base.)

Best Regards,
Andrey
As an aside, Andrey was super responsive and very helpful - a real pleasure to work with him.
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

blacey wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:49 pm Just prior to the Holidays, I worked with Andrey Betenev, the Opencascade Kernel project manager, to enable the integration of OCCT 7.2 into the Homebrew package manager on macOS.....
Yes I remember reading that thread.

blacey wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:49 pm
Finally, I want to confirm that this is an approved means for providing Homebrew integration. In other words, we will be in compliance with your licensing terms if we use the gitweb interface to build from sources for the Homebrew formula/distribution.
Hello Bruce,

Using GitWeb to download source snapshots is fully compliant with our rules, and has always been a recommended way to access OCCT for people who needs more than official release but do not have or do not need full access to Git. (The standard way of downloading official version still requires authentication -- we need this to have at least partial statistics on OCCT user base.)

Best Regards,
Andrey
As an aside, Andrey was super responsive and very helpful - a real pleasure to work with him.
Somebody has signed the CLA and got access to the official occt git repo. They have then cloned that repo into the debian gitlab framework and that repo is public. Too me, that is not the same as using the gitweb interface of the official occt repo to download snapshots. Again, I don't know the policy, but I am curious as debian seems to be pretty cautious in these matters.
blacey

Post by blacey »

tanderson69 wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:51 pm Somebody has signed the CLA and got access to the official occt git repo. They have then cloned that repo into the debian gitlab framework and that repo is public. Too me, that is not the same as using the gitweb interface of the official occt repo to download snapshots. Again, I don't know the policy, but I am curious as debian seems to be pretty cautious in these matters.
If that somebody was me, then no, I did not need to sign a CLA in order to integrate Opencascade into Homebrew ;) Opencascade endorsed the source access for package management because they use an LGPL license and effectively that was my point ;) I believe one only has to sign their CLA in order to contribute to OpenCascade so they own one's contributions. That said, definitely a fair question so Kurt may want to confirm with Opencascade directly.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I just made a topic on their "Installation and building" forum, but it has to be approved by an administrator, so when it does it should show up here: https://www.opencascade.com/forums/inst ... d-building

Hopefully they won't mind. My guess at their intended purpose of the CLA really affects those who might push code to their repo, not pull, so I'm assuming the only reason they don't allow anonymous clones is to save on bandwidth. It would be nice for Debian/Ubuntu/FreeCAD/other downstream package maintainers/etc to be able to see the commit logs in the event troubleshooting or a bug fix is needed.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

wmayer wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:56 pm Then we should also have a look at the compiler warnings we get for the travis builds. Most of them is due to flaws in OpenCascade or Salome which we can ignore for now...
FYI, there is an open ticket for this issue #2955
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs